• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to see Leach's Petrel (1 Viewer)

Several Leach's sean off Crosby, Leasowe and Dove Point, and the Long-tailed was present for at least an hour and a half mid-afternoon.

Plenty of Leach's further north too so I suspect there will be at least some around on Sunday.

And around they were too!

I managed to get down to New Brighton this afternoon, arriving (later than planned) just before high tide. Instead of watching from the shelters near Perch Rock I decided to set up further west an one of the raised sections of promenade.

All in all between about 1:30 and 5:00 p.m. we had around 15 Leach's (although many were distant) 3-5 Actic Skua, one juvenile Long-tailed Skua (at one stage it half-heartedly joined an Arctic in its pursuit of a tern!) a second probable but distant Long-tailed (too distant to be sure but its combination of small size, alternate shearwatering then "marsh tern-like" surface feeding make me pretty sure it was), Curlew Sandpiper, Razorbill and finally, just before leaving a superb juvenile Sabine's Gull which flew past leisurely enough for me to call back the birders who were packing up and leaving.

With stronger north-westerlies forecast it looks like being a real bonanza period for the North-west coast!

Last night the Leach's were massing off Hoylake. 35 in and hour. PLenty out there first thing this am.

Will be great today - wind is perfect for Wirral and its squally.

Unless you want to see Leach 3 ft away... I'd recommend Dovepoint over the tide.... and New Brighton first thing in the morning.

Jane Turner said:
Last night the Leach's were massing off Hoylake. 35 in and hour. PLenty out there first thing this am.

Will be great today - wind is perfect for Wirral and its squally.

Unless you want to see Leach 3 ft away... I'd recommend Dovepoint over the tide.... and New Brighton first thing in the morning.

Jane,

Are the conditions suitable for later in the week - say Wed/Thurs? - and would first thing in the monrning be best, or should I monitir the tide situation?

Thanks

John

Shipping forecast is
SOUTHWEST VEERING WEST 6 TO GALE 8. RAIN THEN SHOWERS. GOOD
OCCASIONALLY MODERATE AT FIRST

Its West already but only about 5-6 Wed there will be petrels.. even if it goes calm. Thurs is too far to predict.. Tides will be low and 5ish. A good plan might be first light at New Brighton on Wed. Birds drift up the Mersey at night on the tide and as it comes light they bat back out to sea

Hello Jane

Thanks for your excellent information on this species. My problem is that my car is off the road all this week. I can get a train from Durham to New Brighton arriving 1030, and leaving 1540. Could I ask therefore
- Would Tuesday or Wednesday be a better bet
- What are my chances in this time frame
- How far is the seawatching point from the rail station
- How much shelter is there (without a car!)

Any help very gratefully received.
Steve J

Merseyrail goes from Liverpool Lime St to New Brighton. Not exactly sure where the station is... but its not a big walk!...its not a big town! Tues would be better!

There is a "famous" shelter on the promendae overlooking the marine lake and fort perch rock. It faces towards Seaforth and in a howling Westerly affords more than enough shelter.

No... there is always water in at New Brighton. If it is not windy walk out to the left of Fort Perch Rock and look out to sea... there will be Leach's messing about... its its blowing a gale.. which is looking likely... the Leach's will be right up the Mersey.

I can see Leach's now.. at low water... (tide is a mile away) but then again i am looking out of a house..

and you are going to see Leach's Petrel tomorrow!

Loads of birds at sea today - 100+ Gannet, Manxies, loads of Kittiwakes - so fresh birds are in the bay. Tide is just too low for me to see Leach's now - they pass down the tide edge and are hidden by a sand bar!

IRISH SEA SHANNON
WEST OR SOUTHWEST 6 TO GALE 8. SHOWERS. MAINLY GOOD

24 hours from 11.30 today

Latest forecast... its W 6 here just now... I'd like a few degrees more North in the wind to be best for here.. if it drifts round to the SW then Lancashire will def be the place

Huge numbers of Seabirds in Lpool bay.. will add up later - back to the sea. Leach's is a promise tomorrow!

Must have seen 200 Shearwaters and 70 Skuas - actually not many Petrels - 45 ish

Steve,

I'm sure you'll enjoy tomorrow - I suspect you will do well for Leach's at least.

Keep an eye on the area around the green Bouy C21 and red bouy C20. The long staying Long-tailed Skua tends to keep on the water only flying up to pursue the odd tern (yesterday I was lucky enough to see it join an Arctic Skua briefly). Although at long range the size and structure are clear enough. I suspect that there is every chance of all four Skuas tomorrow - a rare event in our part of the world.

As well as petrels up the river watch out for them crossing the river mouth as some cut the corner. It looks like today's count will exceed 100 and with winds all night tomorrow may be better!

Rob

PS - Jane - you don't fancy a house swap for a week do you - I can guarantee you House Sparrow & Greenfinch here?!

Last edited:
Rob - come for tea anytime.

Todays list - seems petrels are staying in the Mersey mouth, but boy did I get passages of the better fliers today.

Arctic Skua 54, Great Skua 29, Fulmar 11, Gannet 355, Kittiwake 340, Leach's Petrel 46, Arctic Tern 12, Common Tern 4, Sandwich Tern 6, Razorbill 3 Red-throated Diver 1, Common Scoter 9, Guillemot 25, Manx Shearwater 195

Latest Shipping forecast 1725 - next 24 hours

IRISH SEA WEST 6 TO GALE 8. SHOWERS. MAINLY GOOD

So guaranteed Leach's Wirral and Lancs, smaller numbers N.Wales

Going back to Saturday re Plaxtonman's query although it wasn't really gusting I had a Leach's close in during a half hour watch with eldest daughter swinging from the Promenade railings!

Today the Sabs have finally turned up on the Fylde, had to work but thankfully still got one at lunch as well as a few Leach's. Wonderful.

Stephen.

Jane,

Thanks - but have you any idea how frustrating it is sat in a suburban Manchester office watching the clouds flying past, seeing the reports rack up on BGs and knowing you can just sit in the window and see that little lot that wouldn't disgrace a British pelagic?!!

How about moving your neighbours on - we could double the size of the observatory garden !!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back