• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glasdrum Wood info? (1 Viewer)

Adam W

I'm going to be staying within a reasonable travelling distance of Glasdrum in a couple of weeks time and was wondering if anyone has any info on the chances of seeing Chequered Skipper or any other info on the site?

From what I can gather the site overall is quite large but the designated walk from the car park only seems to cover a fairly small area of the woodland. Is there a good chance of success from that walk or is it a case of going off the beaten track and needing to know where to look?

Weather permitting I'll be going on Friday (and to some adjacent Chequered Skipper sites...so I'll post back with some up-to-date info.
As far as I understand at Glasdrum their is a quite short (but relatively steep) trail from the main car park that should bring results

As far as I understand at Glasdrum their is a quite short (but relatively steep) trail from the main car park that should bring results
That is correct. The steep footpath starts almost immediately from the car park. The CSkippers start appearing under the power lines about 75 metres up. Watch out for Ticks, it is a well known location for them.

I can concur with the ticks! having spent a whole day on and off that site many years ago. Worth the steep climb though and also worth looking out for day-flying and resting moths.

Checkered were on the wing at Allt Mhuic last weekend.

I was going to take photos but having picked up 5 ticks without leaving the path in the first ten minutes I thought better of it. This year is very bad for ticks.

I had excellent views of Chequered Skipper at Shian Woods NR near to Oban, so may be worth checking if you want to avoid the climb at Glasdrum.

On Saturday in bright sunshine there were plenty of Chequered Skipper out at Glasdrum, some at Shian Woods, none (that I found) at Glen Loy and only a couple at Allt Mhuic

Hi,
Plenty of Chequered Skippers at Glasdrum last week and also Pearl Bordered and Small Pearl Bordered Frits.
Also worth looking out for is Anania funebris, a pretty little moth, and seemed to be fairly common here.

The power lines where the skippers are to be found are 2 mins at most from the car park.

Regards
Damian

Attachments

• c skip.JPG
    c skip.JPG
    393.7 KB · Views: 89
  • c skip2.JPG
    c skip2.JPG
    351.3 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Mission accomplished, No steep walk either dont think I went more than a minute from the car park to see these.

Attachments

• tn_147.JPG
    tn_147.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 96
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back