• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Straight or angled scope (1 Viewer)

So you are saying with a straight scope it would be more comfortable? I would think the tripod would have to be raised quite a bit and she would have to have her neck tilted back quite a ways to be able to see the same area. Try tilting your head back for a long time once. BTW I do have straight and angled spotters.

dalat that is very nice you take your daughter with you!!

Last edited:
So you are saying with a straight scope it would be more comfortable? I would think the tripod would have to be raised quite a bit and she would have to have her neck tilted back quite a ways to be able to see the same area. Try tilting your head back for a long time once. BTW I do have straight and angled spotters.

dalat that is very nice you take your daughter with you!!

What I am saying is that his daughters body position and scope position adjustments could be better optimized for better views. Even with the angled scope

Last edited:
What I am saying is that his daughters body position and scope position adjustments could be better optimized for better views. Even with the angled scope

Yes, right, for a longer view I would better raise the column a bit. We were following a wallcreeper in the rock above, which was moving around quickly. So I was squatting and following the bird with the scope, up and down with the inclination, and then get the girl quickly on the scope when the bird was resting a moment. Not much time to ajust the column. Just how normal birding works ;)

By the way, the zip tie is very helpful in this situation to get the small bird on the rock in the scope.

Yes, right, for a longer view I would better raise the column a bit. We were following a wallcreeper in the rock above, which was moving around quickly. So I was squatting and following the bird with the scope, up and down with the inclination, and then get the girl quickly on the scope when the bird was resting a moment. Not much time to ajust the column. Just how normal birding works ;)

By the way, the zip tie is very helpful in this situation to get the small bird on the rock in the scope.

I agree, that is how birding works. Which is part of why this discussion is taking place.

The zip tie will help align the scope to the target but not the human body

P.S. both of those pics are very cute. I’m glad your daughter enjoys the hobby as well

It a a personal thing. I prefer my scopes straight. Seems easier for me. I know a birder who had to visit the doctor with some kind of trapped nerve in his shoulder through spending hours hunched over his angled Leica while seawatching. Artists find angled scopes much easier to look straight from eyepiece to the paper. Can never find anything in the sky with such things myself.

Last edited:
……….
That's the same advantage that, at a larger scale, makes sharing an angled scope between people of different heights so convenient ... at the small scale, you're basically sharing the scope with subtle variations of yourself ;-)

Regards,

Henning

Unfortunately, that does not work for me at all. I then get to see the object through the near-adjusted part of my eyeglasses, and I can't just remove them for that would make things worse.

I actually wonder how many of those advocating angled scopes need to use their scopes with varifocals.

Hi Robert,

Unfortunately, that does not work for me at all. I then get to see the object through the near-adjusted part of my eyeglasses, and I can't just remove them for that would make things worse.

I actually wonder how many of those advocating angled scopes need to use their scopes with varifocals.

Interesting point! My varifocals don't seem to make it difficult for me, but maybe I'm subconsciously adjusting sharpness more often than I'd need to.

Still, it's clear that varifocals can't give you full sharpness across the field (true for any scope or other optics type), so I recently bought a pair of monofocals explicitely for birding.

These work fine, except that now I'm struggling when trying to use the smartphone to record observations on ornitho.de while still in the field :)

Regards,

Henning

...it's clear that varifocals can't give you full sharpness across the field (true for any scope or other optics type), so I recently bought a pair of monofocals explicitely for birding.

These work fine, except that now I'm struggling when trying to use the smartphone to record observations on ornitho.de while still in the field :)...

For birding, I have bifocals with the split set lower than usual. The top works fine for distant views and for bins and scope. The little inset lets me see close things, like phone, map, notes.

--AP

For birding, I have bifocals with the split set lower than usual. The top works fine for distant views and for bins and scope. The little inset lets me see close things, like phone, map, notes.

--AP

Ditto. Bifocals give you a clear indication where the near correction starts and also a confirmation that the optician has got the alignment right. If one assumes that you need a +2 dioptre correction for reading, then it's only the ditances of 1 m +/- a few dm that acuity is less than ideal.

John

--AP

I actually don't have varifocals but trifocals. But the problem remains the same. I would need a very uncomfortable position to get my upper parts of the glasses to view through, particularly since the scope tends to be too high for me anyway.

I have been doing that for 30 years. With my astigmatism, ditching glasses is out of the question.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back