• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (1 Viewer)

Westhill, Bullfinch

Doesn't get much easier than this, view from my armchair, 3, possibly 4 Bullfinch on Wellgrove Road in trees between Fraser & Henderson Drive. Been here most of the week on and off feeding on the new buds.

Jim

Attachments

• Desktop_001.jpg
    Desktop_001.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Desktop_002.jpg
    Desktop_002.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 29
Fowlsheugh

With the AWPR open now it's about a 20 minute drive to Fowlsheugh from Westhill. A pleasant sunny morning but still a bit on the chilly side, all the usual suspects on show incl 4 Puffins,(shame about the smell) and a pair of Stonechat below the car park, may have been fledglings about the way they were acting. Male ringed but cannot make out any details.

Jim

Attachments

• 131_001.jpg
    131_001.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 131_001_2.jpg
    131_001_2.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 131_002.jpg
    131_002.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 131_003.jpg
    131_003.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 131_004.jpg
    131_004.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 29
Plenty of Painted Lady butterflies around my house this week, chasing vigorously. Never seen so many. The garden of the Nargile Restaurant in Union Grove is hosting large numbers today.

15.25 today: Common Buzzard not over or past Union Grove, Aberdeen but in Union Grove at one point at very little above traffic roof-height. Had been mobbed by c. 10-15 Gulls (excessive noise drew my attention at the bus stop). They were joined by a local Crow who chased the Buzzard, at top speed, which must have landed briefly in the gardens behind my house. After a couple of minutes it appeared swooping down streetwards chased by gulls in the Grove and then left northwards. I have seen a Buzzard before over trees near Kingsgate, and thought that it might be at least roosting there, as it was seen repeatedly in the area over some weeks, but that was a few years back.

What excitements for you Phil!!

Maybe one day you'll be able to actually tick it in your garden LOL

What excitements for you Phil!!

Maybe one day you'll be able to actually tick it in your garden LOL

Actually I've had low flyovers, but I don't really count them as 'garden tick'. However today's sighting was exceptional.

My front window and kitchen window BOP tally is quite good. Merlin, probable Hobby (eating insects held in feet in flight), Marsh Harrier, Honey Buzzard, Red Kite, Peregrine, Sparrowhawk (last one nabbing a slow Dunnock), Common Buzzard, Kestrel (probably the rarest nowadays), escaped Gyr/Saker Cross, Osprey. I've twice had possible WTE (both seen without binoculars but the size was obvious, but that was 1 over the sea and 1 past Aberdeen College one day. Can't complain for a town flat really.

Goodness!!! Any spare flats going there?

I've had Sparrowhawk (always juveniles) in the garden here, the only other raptor is regular sightings of high flying Buzzards.

I'm in a town flat too LOL

I live in hope of Osprey and Red Kite flying over. Maybe.... one day.... a stray White-tailed Eagle ....????

Goodness!!! Any spare flats going there?

I've had Sparrowhawk (always juveniles) in the garden here, the only other raptor is regular sightings of high flying Buzzards.

I'm in a town flat too LOL

I live in hope of Osprey and Red Kite flying over. Maybe.... one day.... a stray White-tailed Eagle ....????

Yes, quite a few empties at the moment. I should explain, it's over 18 years that I've accumulated all these sightings. But I live in hope of a WTE being mobbed by a Greenland Gyr from my house, both of which are theoretically possible.

It's been either too windy for soaring raptors here recently or too hot for me to bother.

Maybe even a bit too much to ask of viewers here, 2 very distant waders with a small flock of Lapwing, thinking maybe Ruff myself but I'm not that good on waders, thanks

Jim

Attachments

• 135_001.jpg
    135_001.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_0035.jpg
    DSC_0035.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC_0053.jpg
    DSC_0053.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 56
Pintail

Pintail.jpg
Attached is a picture of a pintail taken in Stonehaven's River Cowie last weekend, where he was hanging around with a couple of male mallards.

Oh nice one Kincraig.... one of my favourite ducks these.

It's good to hear from you again lad... hope you're keeping well.

Oh nice one Kincraig.... one of my favourite ducks these.

It's good to hear from you again lad... hope you're keeping well.

I'm just fine, thanks. I'm looking forward to getting out a bit further afield - but aren't we all?
Seeing a pintail so close up and in this locality was an unexpected surprise. I haven't seen one of these for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back