• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fish ID, Poland (1 Viewer)

Max S.

I know these pictures are terrible, but would it be possible to ID at least the family? Photos taken today on the Vistula in Kraków. The gull feeding on it is a Caspian.

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 79
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 63
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 100
Best I can suggest is contact one of the Polish Fishing tour companies and see what species they go after. I dont think it's one of the obvious forms such as Zander, Pike or Catfish but one of the white freshwater species such as Carp, Ide, Asp or Chub.

Last edited:
Thank you both very much. I suspected that this would be the case. I tried to get a photo of it turned over but the gull didn't want to cooporate ;)
I'll try to contact the local fishing group and ask what's the most likely species.

There's a hint of Zander in the 3rd photo where some markings can just be made out

It may be a ridiculous thing to say but, not sure the anal fins are in the right position for Zander? on all the shots I can find, theye give the impression of being further away from the pecs, could just be the angle I guess?

It may be a ridiculous thing to say but, not sure the anal fins are in the right position for Zander? on all the shots I can find, theye give the impression of being further away from the pecs, could just be the angle I guess?

There is only one anal fin on most fish including Zander and to me it looks to be in the right place. Must admit I was at a loss until I saw the 3rd photo and you can just about make out the slight stripe effect that some Zander show. For me it is a Zander but also willing to accept that we may never really know!

Having looked at various images and my recollection of catching this species back in the 70s, I now think this fish is indeed a Zander.

Thank you all for your help.
I asked a local fishing group what would be the most likely species in this exact part of the river and they indeed said that it would be Zander.

It doesn't look like a cyprinid to me, nor a pike, Zander is a possible candidate, possibly the Sea Pikeperch Stizostedion marina

I think it's a Perch due to the hint of red in the fins and the stripes down its flanks in the third image, these features don't completely rule out Zander though

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back