• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2019 UK Orchids (1 Viewer)

I believe these are my closest Man Orchids! an hour's drive, on the edge of Guildford, at Pewley Down.
Nice, small reserve, despite it's popularity with locals.
Also a Small Blue butterfly (not photo'd).

Hi Peter, I guess in depends on what part of Hants you are in. Have you seen Man Orchids at Beacon Hill ?

Hi Peter, I guess in depends on what part of Hants you are in. Have you seen Man Orchids at Beacon Hill ?

No, I've learnt to discount places where they are shrouded in secrecy, or so vague, that you could walk for days or risk trampling them etc. I think Those plants are usually referred to as Meon Valley lol

I'm finding twitter is the best place for accurate, up to date info. If there is no sign there.. don't take the risk. Seems to work pretty much 100%

I'm finding twitter is the best place for accurate, up to date info. If there is no sign there.. don't take the risk. Seems to work pretty much 100%

Spread your bets. I am on forums, Twitter, various Facebook groups and yahoo. Sometimes it gets a bit all too much, but can you have too much of a good thing?

Narrow-leaved Marsh Orchids

A trip to Cors Bodeilio on Monday. Quite a lot of variation in the Narrow-leaved Marsh Orchids there, including one that is considerably paler than any I have seen before. The dead opposite of the var lapponicas of Scotland. I prefer to use the descriptive name for this species rather than Pugsley's Marsh Orchid. None of our other native species are named after a person.
Didn't see any Fly Orchids though I have been told they are just about in flower now. My trip was regretably cut short as a result of losing out to the irresistable forces of gravity and sticky mud!

Attachments

• nlmo1.jpg
    nlmo1.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 27
  • nlmo2.jpg
    nlmo2.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 28
  • nlmo3.jpg
    nlmo3.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 26
Marford Quarry

Had a short visit to Marford Quarry in between the rain. A few Bee Orchids were out, and the start of the Pyramidals too. But for me the best was the three clumps of robust Dune Helleborine that promise much in a month or so.

Attachments

• marqbee.jpg
    marqbee.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 17
  • marqdune1.jpg
    marqdune1.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 14
  • marqdune2.jpg
    marqdune2.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 15
  • marqdune3.jpg
    marqdune3.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 20
Minera Quarry

Just been up to Minera and to be honest, quite a disappointment. I was hoping to see the Marsh Orchids, but only saw 1 and that had been tampled. Other years there have been over 100. No Twayblades where I would expect them, very few Pyramidal, and the Fragrants seem to have disappeared. The best it seemed was a scattering of rather anorexic Common Spotteds. Is the weather extremes of a couple of years the cause, perhaps doing things to the soil mycorhiza? Hasn't happened at other local sites. Has the grazing pattern changed? That would not affect all those mentioned. Or is it just part of a natural cycle, and they will all bounce back better than ever?
The day was saved though, by finding a few Bee Orchids, which I have never seem there before, and some Frog Orchids in the most out of the way spot. I like this one with it twisted red pedicles.

Attachments

• minqfrog.jpg
    minqfrog.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 26
Just been up to Minera and to be honest, quite a disappointment. I was hoping to see the Marsh Orchids, but only saw 1 and that had been tampled. Other years there have been over 100. No Twayblades where I would expect them, very few Pyramidal, and the Fragrants seem to have disappeared. The best it seemed was a scattering of rather anorexic Common Spotteds. Is the weather extremes of a couple of years the cause, perhaps doing things to the soil mycorhiza? Hasn't happened at other local sites. Has the grazing pattern changed? That would not affect all those mentioned. Or is it just part of a natural cycle, and they will all bounce back better than ever?
The day was saved though, by finding a few Bee Orchids, which I have never seem there before, and some Frog Orchids in the most out of the way spot. I like this one with it twisted red pedicles.

Yes to confirm what Muba has posted, Minera Quarry used to be full of Pyramidals, Common Spotted's and Fragrants as well as the Common Twayblades. The Frogs were always difficult to locate in their 'out of the way' location. The first photo is one Elaine took in 2007 - a very different scene to today. The second photo was taken in 2012, when Fragrants were more in evidence. Of course the site is now open to all and sundry, including dogs, cyclists, picnickers etc, so maybe the orchids are in decline, which would be a great pity, as this site has just become a Nature Reserve! However, like Muba, we do not recall having ever seen Bees on this site.

Martin and Elaine

Attachments

• Pyramidal orchids and wild flowers Minera Quarry.jpg
    Pyramidal orchids and wild flowers Minera Quarry.jpg
    598.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Marsh Fragrant orchid Minera 3.JPG
    Marsh Fragrant orchid Minera 3.JPG
    446.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Birds nest orchid with flies

Took this photo a couple of days ago not far from Cromford in the Southern Peak District. My question is 'what are the flies doing' are they just using it as a convenient staging post or are they involved in pollination in some way?

Attachments

• BIRDS NEST ORCHID.jpg
    BIRDS NEST ORCHID.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 49
I've caught the orchid bug! I was shown Common Spotted, Bee, Lesser Butterfly and Marsh orchid recently in N Norfolk and now I want to see more! I suppose I better catch up with some more common ones next (I understand Butterfly Orchid is rare) so can anyone recommend some good sites for a wide range of orchids in North Norfolk or the Broads?

Thanks,
Louis

Brymbo Pool

After a tip off from our daughter, we found a new (for us) orchid site this afternoon. Brymbo Pool is close to where we live and until now we hadn't realised that orchids grew there! It is alive with Common Spotted Orchids (some with spotted leaves and some without), and we found a patch containing just about half a dozen Bee Orchid plants, in various stages of development from not quite out to going over.

It was a pleasure to walk around this new patch. Access is easy, through a gate, and the pool itself (more of a lake) is lovely.

Martin and Elaine

Attachments

• Bee Orchid Brymbo Pool  2.JPG
    Bee Orchid Brymbo Pool 2.JPG
    355.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Bee Orchid Brymbo Pool 7.JPG
    Bee Orchid Brymbo Pool 7.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 14
  • Common Spotted Brymbo Pool  3.JPG
    Common Spotted Brymbo Pool 3.JPG
    279.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Common Spotted Brymbo Pool  5.JPG
    Common Spotted Brymbo Pool 5.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Brymbo Pool  1.JPG
    Brymbo Pool 1.JPG
    613.8 KB · Views: 17
I've caught the orchid bug! I was shown Common Spotted, Bee, Lesser Butterfly and Marsh orchid recently in N Norfolk and now I want to see more! I suppose I better catch up with some more common ones next (I understand Butterfly Orchid is rare) so can anyone recommend some good sites for a wide range of orchids in North Norfolk or the Broads?

Thanks,
Louis

The pdf here might help

http://norfolknaturalists.org.uk/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Orchids_of_Norfolk.pdf

Otherwise, search the internet, you might find some sites. Beware though, some sites are huge, and the plants all crammed in one small area!
If you see photos of plants at a location.. save any pics with the horizon /treeline in the background, as they can be surprisingly helpful!

Last edited:
The pdf here might help

http://norfolknaturalists.org.uk/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Orchids_of_Norfolk.pdf

Otherwise, search the internet, you might find some sites. Beware though, some sites are huge, and the plants all crammed in one small area!
If you see photos of plants at a location.. save any pics with the horizon /treeline in the background, as they can be surprisingly helpful!

p.15 Early Marsh Orchid Dactylorhiza incarnata, looks like an Early Purple Orchid (Orchis mascula) to me?

p.15 Early Marsh Orchid Dactylorhiza incarnata, looks like an Early Purple Orchid (Orchis mascula) to me?

I think you're right. They would have given me problems if I'd stumbled across them. I'm used to Early Purples being much darker flowers with heavy spotted leaves. The date might have come to my rescue!

Update on Alyn Waters CP

Spent this morning combing Alyn Waters (Gwersyllt side). The Pyramidals, although sparse in number this year are starting to come. The Bees are very scattered, and we interestingly found a couple hiding in the brambles! The Dune Helleborines are taking over and should give a lovely show later on. There were numerous Common Twayblades and Common Spotteds.

A very pleasant morning, however it was our opinion that some of the orchids there this year are not as numerous as they have been in past years. We only counted six Pyramidals, which is a lot down on previous years, but there may have been more which we did not find. The Bees, likewise, were down in numbers.

Martin and Elaine

Attachments

• Pyramidal AWCP  2.JPG
    Pyramidal AWCP 2.JPG
    353.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Pyramidal AWCP  4.JPG
    Pyramidal AWCP 4.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Bee AWCP  3.JPG
    Bee AWCP 3.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 13
  • CSO plus Ox Eyes AW  1.JPG
    CSO plus Ox Eyes AW 1.JPG
    458.3 KB · Views: 13
Bee Orchids

I spent 10 days away, mainly to watch the 24 Hours of Le Mans motor race trackside, but there were oppos to catch some orchids on my travels.
First off was by Tesco in Telford where several hundred Bee Orchids have taken residence on a traffic island. Well worth the slight detour, but if you do expect shoppers and commuters to gawp and wonder what you are photographing.

Attachments

• telford1.jpg
    telford1.jpg
    483.2 KB · Views: 18
  • telford2.jpg
    telford2.jpg
    507.4 KB · Views: 12
  • telford3.jpg
    telford3.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 19
More Bee Orchids

On the lawns outside Dover Council Offices at Whitfield a number of areas have been marked off as not to be mowed. These areas are where Bee Orchids are growing. This pink sepalled plant was one of them.

Attachments

• dover.jpg
    dover.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 36
Lizard Orchids

.... and if you are down in Kent to catch a ferry in June schedule some time to visit Sandwich Bay for the magnificent display of Lizard Orchids that grow on the golf course, alongside the road and even popping up in front lawns. Not to be missed!

Attachments

• sandliz1.jpg
    sandliz1.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 19
  • sandliz3.jpg
    sandliz3.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 22
  • sandliz2.jpg
    sandliz2.jpg
    492.1 KB · Views: 30
  • sandliz4.jpg
    sandliz4.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 19
I'm going to Norfolk this week end as well and any info on creeping lady's tresses and LBO would very handy . I am waiting for another hip replacement and aimlessly wandering round Holkam Woods doesn't sound fun.

Norfolk

I'm going to Norfolk this week end as well and any info on creeping lady's tresses and LBO would very handy . I am waiting for another hip replacement and aimlessly wandering round Holkam Woods doesn't sound fun.

Hi can you recommend B&B with car parking in Norfolk.
Many thanks
Stan

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back