• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipits, Northern Thailand (1 Viewer)

Gibbo 92

Hello,

I have 2 different birds here;

The first three pictures I think are Paddyfield Pipit seen near Chiang Mai,

I am not so sure on the last two images which I saw at Sukhothai.

Many Thanks,

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_4416 (2).JPG
    IMG_4416 (2).JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_4419 (2).JPG
    IMG_4419 (2).JPG
    427.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4425 (2).JPG
    IMG_4425 (2).JPG
    559.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4650 (2).JPG
    IMG_4650 (2).JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4652 (2).JPG
    IMG_4652 (2).JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 79
Hello,

I also have some more Pipits seen at Kanchanaburi, Thailand.

These are again two different birds, these looked different to the previous pipits encountered on my trip.

Many Thanks

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_5380.JPG
    IMG_5380.JPG
    248 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5385 (2).JPG
    IMG_5385 (2).JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5387 (2).JPG
    IMG_5387 (2).JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5390 (2).JPG
    IMG_5390 (2).JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5389 (2).JPG
    IMG_5389 (2).JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 28
First of all, when dealing with the three large pipits, I can't recommend this web article highly enough.

https://digdeep1962.wordpress.com/2...field-richards-and-blyths-pipits-in-malaysia/

in the first set, I agree the first bird is Paddyfield.

The second is more difficult as it appears to have pale lores. In the first image, the bird reminds me a little of Blyth's, but as this is a vagrant to Thailand, we 'd better rule that out. In any case, in the second image, we can see the crown is only faintly streaked, and there's an apparent contrast between the warm buff of the breast and the paler belly. The bill looks relatively thin and weak and it's not like Richard's to perch on a bush.

In the second set, if you're sure the first three images show the same bird, the bird has to be a Paddyfield - distinct loral stripe, long thin bill, flat crown, gingery flanks. This looks like an an immature bird as it seems to be retaining some juvenile plumage features - there are some images of this on the web page.

The second bird is more difficult, as the bill is stronger and even looks slightly curved in 5390. The lores look pale, although there's a hint of a faint stripe. The underparts are a cold white in tone, apparently lacking the gingery wash on the flanks. However, the cheek looks solid and warmly-coloured and the crown isn't well-streaked. Richard's also favours longer grass or vegetation and doesn't normally strut around on a lawn like this. So I think I would go for Paddyfield again.

As Dave Bakewell points out, call is the best way to distinguish these pipits.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back