• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jomo's Sketchbook (1 Viewer)

*&#%$@ Dickcissels! Both a male and female have been hanging out along a roadside near Underwood for at least a month, and I'd hoped for some good sketches (my previous -- and only -- Dickcissel encounter was scoped from across a field a few years ago, and I never was satisfied with the results of that session). No luck, though (maybe there'll be another report before I'm back up the Bruce next weekend ... here's hoping).

Ah, well. I did find a very cooperative cuckoo (is that an oxymoron?), and an Upland Sandpiper spotted on the drive back was another goodie.

In a few hours I leave for five days in Algonquin (eh, should probably be in bed by now!), which is usually very quiet bird-wise this time of year, so I expect I'll have nothing other than loons to sketch. Oh, poor me. ;)

Attachments

• sketchbook 2010-07-24-1.jpg
    sketchbook 2010-07-24-1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 39
  • sketchbook 2010-07-24-2.jpg
    sketchbook 2010-07-24-2.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 39
  • sketchbook 2010-07-24-3.jpg
    sketchbook 2010-07-24-3.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 36
  • sketchbook 2010-07-24-4.jpg
    sketchbook 2010-07-24-4.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 42
  • sketchbook 2010-07-24-5.jpg
    sketchbook 2010-07-24-5.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 38
What an absolute joy - especially the upland sand, an reall beaut!
Enjoy the trip and remember to post the diver sketches on you return ;)

Ah, well. I did find a very cooperative cuckoo (is that an oxymoron?), and an Upland Sandpiper spotted on the drive back was another goodie.

When you said 'cooperative cuckoo' I thought you were probably exagerating a bit. Then I saw the drawings. I've never seen them sit still long enough to get that many good sketches! What a treat.

Also really like that last Upland Sandpiper. The closest I came was once when every one else in the group was saying 'There it is, over there. You can't miss it.' Of course I did.

It's been too long again Jo! Still it's worth the wait for quality like this, the upland sand is sublime.

Mike

Superb sketches, Jo. Your sketches are a a joy to these tired eyes! If only my lines were as accurate and confident as these all would be well in the world, ah,ah!
Upland Sand is one of my most highly desired species. I aint gonna see on in Huddersfield so a trip stateside next year beckons. I love the cuckoo, too.
Wonderful work.

Russ

ps - looking forward to lots of loony sketches

Dust settles in quick, doesn't it? I'm going to stop with the apologies over my absences.

Um ... loons! And a few Red-necked grebes, and a page of an American Tree Sparrow who joined me while loon-watching this week.

Attachments

• sketchbook 2010-10-12-1.jpg
    sketchbook 2010-10-12-1.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 50
  • sketchbook 2010-10-12-2.jpg
    sketchbook 2010-10-12-2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 104
  • sketchbook 2010-10-14-1.jpg
    sketchbook 2010-10-14-1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 42
  • sketchbook 2010-10-14-2.jpg
    sketchbook 2010-10-14-2.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 54
  • sketchbook 2010-10-14-3.jpg
    sketchbook 2010-10-14-3.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 45
Love the loons Jo, but I'm also really taken with the tree sparrows. You've captured them simply and well. This reminds me that sparrows too can be very enjoyable to see and draw. It's so easy to pass them by.

you always do this - disappear for ages and then come back with work like this to spoil us rotten - the loons are as majestic as living statues and are observed with the sort of attention that only such a stately bird can command.

Hi Jo,

New (or newly active) member here on the forum, so haven't seen your work before. It's truly wonderful! The sparrows are a favorite bird family of mine, and you've done a great job here. (This species is rare in our area, compared to the rest of the US, but last year in December, we had one show up for two days in our back yard, feeding right on the patio. It was great fun to see, photograph and (attempt to) sketch it. Hope to see more.

Had more time to look at your thread Jo.

Astounding, honest, Brilliant stuff! The field-sketching is treasurable. And I love it to bits.

More, please!

I love these loony sketches! Some great postures expertly nailed. I admire the way you can get five or six studies on one page, where as I go through six pages to get one bearing any resemblance!

Great that you're bringing more of this to the table.

Russ

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back