• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Harrier book illustrations..... (1 Viewer)

Keith Glasgow

I haven't posted here for a long time as I've been working on illustrations for a book on Hen Harriers in Northern Ireland. The author, Don Scott, has studied these birds intensively for almost 30 years in the Glens of Antrim....

http://www.whittlespublishing.com/index.php?view=product&product=167

My humble illustrations are inside the book, so I guess you'll have to buy the book to see them... anyway, it should make a fascinating read.....

Keith.

Aw, c'mon Keith - you can post a few here, surely :) Don't worry about copyright - it's yours - and anyway, you are publicising the book (which looks excellent, by the way).
Well done on the job - let's see a few, eh?

Just had a quick look at your Blog Keith, Fantastic Work brilliant detail in all of your work posted particularly like the background as well, more of the same please,
Kind regards,
Nigel

Well, here's a couple - just a flavour of what's in there - a variety of mediums used. The goshawk kills Hen Harriers btw.

For the rest of the illustrations, or to discover what a male Hen Harrier (subspecies nornirelandus) looks like, you'll have to buy the book!

Keith.

Attachments

• Bryvore Bridge.jpg
    Bryvore Bridge.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 126
  • FemaleHenHarrier1.JPG
    FemaleHenHarrier1.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 117
  • gos.jpg
    gos.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 103
  • Slemish Detail.jpg
    Slemish Detail.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 136
Keith!! nice to have you back...love the last painting,very nice..also the second one with the sheet of zinc...I see this all the time when out walking , never surprises me what farmers use in fencing , I've seen old metal beds tied up ,even a set of ladders..the first painting is very similar surroundings to where we would see these birds....very nice , mark

Oh yes, matey!!!! These are fabulous and right up there with your very best work - which is top, top class. So much illustraton (mine) is dour and lifeless - these are as much observations of the living birds as they are colourful illuminations for the text - wonderful.
Now - what's going to be your excuse or not posting a tad more regularly, please? Especially as you have a little more time in your life (kiddies permitting, of course ;) )
Great to see these.

Thanks for the compliments.

That last one was the detail of a larger painting... the hill in the background is a Volcanic plug (or something similar!) called Slemish (I suppose, Slieve Mish once upon a time) - Saint Patrick tended sheep on the side of this hill.

Keith.

Attachments

• Slemish.JPG
    Slemish.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 135
nlce to see your work, my favs are the black and white drawings, very special, and that last painting too.

it's bound to be: the fenceline and metal sheet pic is the one that I lingered on most- typical and orginal at the same time which is a very hard thing to do

very special pics of a very special bird. I don't think I've ever seen a hen harrier without wanting to capture the moment on paper.

Hi Keith from a new forum member. Excellent work on the harriers! They are one of my favorite raptors. I still remember a fall day when I was walking in a marsh more or less hidden in the tall grass, and a hen harrier soared by my face about a foot away, startling the both of us. The book sounds excellent - congratulations.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back