• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome (1 Viewer)

Thank you for an interesting new look. As for right now, I think the news item mentioning two species of birds as the ONLY poisonous ones posted might be incomplete: there are indications that other birds also are poisonous, see for example the following link with mention of old results for Pied Kingfisher http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/97/24/12948 (I believe I have read more extensively about that but did not find back to the paper).

Cheers
Niels

When you are on a certain bird page in this 'opus' area, it is a natural to click on the 'discussion' tab to read the discussion.

Surprise, surprise, there is in most cases no discussion thread in this new area, but you yourself have all of a sudden created a discussion thread, and, moreover, a first posting in that discussion thread is automatically created under your name with some standardized wording that is not your own words!

Hordes of users, myself included, had unintentionally created discussion threads and made unintentional postings not of my own wording because of this snag. And hordes of users continue to do so! In my case, it is so bad that I log out and visit the opus area only as a guest to avoid the snag!

I suggest to add a button asking the web page viewer whether there is any intention at all to post! Just like in all other areas of the entire birdforum!

I suggest to add a button asking the web page viewer whether there is any intention at all to post! Just like in all other areas of the entire birdforum!

Yep, all these accidental discussion threads didn't pass us by ;) We have now made a pop-up warning if you click the discussion tab in opus.

cheers,
Andy

Hi,
This looks a very interesting addition to the Bird Forum activities.
I was very pleased to see the section on Bird Song. This is potentially very valuable and I wonder if it couldn't be expanded to allow easy downloads of the songs - something along the lines of the xeno-canto site for South American birds. I'm sure that many recordists would provide recordings, in the knowledge that they would be downloaded, just as they do for the xeno canto site.
Any ideas

Pete

Hi,
This looks a very interesting addition to the Bird Forum activities.
I was very pleased to see the section on Bird Song. This is potentially very valuable and I wonder if it couldn't be expanded to allow easy downloads of the songs - something along the lines of the xeno-canto site for South American birds. I'm sure that many recordists would provide recordings, in the knowledge that they would be downloaded, just as they do for the xeno canto site.
Any ideas

Pete

Hi Pete,
You should be able to upload mp3 files of birdsong into opus, then take note of the file name and put them into a bird species article via the main article edit tab in the following format

==Bird Song==
<flashmp3> Test(song).mp3</flashmp3><br />
''[[Media:Test(song).mp3|Listen in an external program]]''

The blue italicised text represents the file name.
==Bird Song== creates an editable block within the article.

cheers,
Andy

There's a typo in the Welcome page:
Welcome to the bird encyclopaedia section of Opus. Please use the search above to find the bird you are looking for.
Well... at least is what I think.

I believe both are correct spellings, but encyclopedia is used more often and does 'look' right. I've updated it.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back