• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (4 Viewers)

After a particularly poor week, still no poll-skins, virtually no Redwings just a couple of singles in silhouette darting over the canopy looking to roost, a virtual total absence of Goldcrest!!! unheard of at this time of year.

Went out to do some shopping and a coffee break, got back ''on station'' c4.45 then five minutes later I espied a ''Heron'' coming low and from the right heading SSW....not unusual thus I didn't reach for my camera.
Initially in silhouette against a dark cloud before moving against a brighter patch of blue and simultaneously phasing from dark to white with a lot of leg trailing before disappearing behind the canopy.Great White Egret!

FWIW Little Egrets are almost daily here at this time of year, if that wasn't enough...ten minutes later, a Grey lag Goose heading NEast low over my neighbour's house, the latter always on the cards be it just 1-2 sightings per annum, however the former a garden lifer! 50 and 51 respectively. :eek!:

No additions for me so far. However, if I get a red winged blackbird, I will surely let you know. They've been coming back every morning. I've been hearing them

Fieldfare - I was beginning to think that I was going to have to wait until next autumn to get these on the list - but 5 went past today.

Out of the wall to wall “Battleship Grey” only a couple seen most years now...Peregrine going West. no.52.

Looking 'all white' (see what I did there?) for the February Bird of the Month prize so far, a battle between the Finnish woodpecker and the London egret.
Here the first Chaffinches singing on 15th (one day earlier than last year) and a Robin this morning (one day later than last year!). We've still plenty of Brambling but the sole Siskin of this year so far left after a couple of days. One of the Brambling already looking most dapper.
Song Thrush should be back from the south by next weekend I would hope:t:

Attachments

• Brambling 17.2.20.jpg
    Brambling 17.2.20.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 43
My only Brambling so far this year was 4,000 kms away from the garden in the Negev desert. I was a little surprised! Though in hindsight, I shouldn't have been as they do occasionally get that far south in Israel.

All the best

My only Brambling so far this year was 4,000 kms away from the garden in the Negev desert. I was a little surprised! Though in hindsight, I shouldn't have been as they do occasionally get that far south in Israel.

All the best

I had the same experience back in 1994 Paul, we had some decent numbers in Lebanon too, in the winter of 2005/6 I recall.

You get Bramblings on Canaries too. ;)

Plus late arrivals at home, four days to be precise over last years! no.52, on a roll 2 Tufted Duck North no.53.

Attachments

• P2150542.jpeg  One over the roof..jpg
    P2150542.jpeg One over the roof..jpg
    45 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Several hours spent staring out the window logging observations for the GBBC this weekend, just one to add to the year list though, and one that I hadn't realized I'd missed so far.

13 Pileated Woodpecker

A slow old month so far, been scanning the distant fields down in the valley to no avail, so pleasantly surprised when one of the species I know has already returned there honoured me with a fly past just now, two shiny

38 Starling

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back