• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from the Warbler Capital of the World! (1 Viewer)

Hello!

Planning a first time, work-related trip to London and Birmingham in late May.

I have been a “serious” birder (if there is such a thing) for about 5-6 years. I, like most birders, immediately start investigating local species/targets whenever traveling. My only other trip outside of the US has been a too-short Peru trip for birding tour guides. I have led tours around the US - the hotspots, Florida, Texas, Arizona, Minnesota, California, and mostly in my home state of Ohio.

I am very excited to have the opportunity to visit Birmingham during the UK Games Expo (work), and look forward to seeing a number of new species. I have only just started researching, but targets so far are Great Spotted Woodpecker and Green Woodpecker. I believe those are the only two realistic possibilities from my favorite family of birds...

I look forward to reading about the birding in the area. Let me know if any of you have visited Ohio or plan to! It’s a wonderful destination in the spring - The Warbler Capital of the World!

#BirdOn
RB

Welcome to Birdforum RB, hopefully someone from the Birmingham area will give you a few tips to help you see some of our European birds, not sure whether Lesser Spotted Woodpecker is a possibility in that area. Good luck anyhow:t:

Hi RB and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

For information about places to visit, you could try looking at some of our articles in The Opus. Here's a link to some sites in London.

Then there are various options for the Birmingham area, depending where you are based: Birmingham is in Warwickshire, and a region known as West Midlands

Birmingham covers a large area so it might be worth posting in the Local Patch section for the Midlands for some specific information and advice, depending whereabouts you will actually be based.

I hope this helps gets your research started, but don't be afraid to come back for some more help if you need to.

Welcome to Birdforum! I'm sure you'll find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits. Hope you enjoy your trips.

Thanks, all! Checking out the suggested threads and trying to find out exactly where I will be. I know the Games Expo is near the Birmingham airport. Looking for QUICK trips near there. London dates and availability are still a mystery. ����*♂️

You may get a better response if you post two new separate threads asking for information for London/ Birmingham in the thread title.

I'm pretty familiar with both cities having lived in both, but never seriously gone birding in either. So the places I've suggested are where I would go if I had 1/2 a day spare or so.

Also - how are you getting from London to B'ham? If you're on train you could stop over in Oxford & do a pleasant walk along the River Thames (e.g. from the railway station walk upstream (north) & you might even get a green woodpecker. You could stop and have lunch at the Trout Inn (popularised in "Morse") and then walk back. You'd see common birds and have a nice day out.

Late May the days are long (e.g gets light at 5ish and dark 9ish) so you should be able to find some time before/after work.

It would really help if you had an idea of where you're staying and how much spare time you have - as I'm sure there are some small places that locals know about.

When I am in central London I go to St James' Park and Regents park for a bit of light birding entertainment. You will find a reasonable number of the common uK birds made a bit more interesting by the wildfowl collections

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back