• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gregor's between school and university list (1 Viewer)

1st October, D'Aguilar NP, Queensland
470. Yellow-faced Honeyeater
471. Leaden Flycatcher
472. Brown Gerygone
473. Bell Miner

Another brief outing this morning, which brought some more good birds. I will be heading up to north Queensland hopefully next week, which should bring loads more birds!

2nd October, Logan, Queensland
474. Collared Sparrowhawk

Benoble, Queensland
475. Nankeen Kestrel

Lamington NP, Queensland
476. Satin Bowerbird
477. Topknot Pigeon
478. Albert's Lyrebird
479. Buff-rumped Thornbill
480. Yellow-throated Scrubwren
481. Superb Fairywren
482. Eastern Spinebill

Logan, Queensland
483. Brahminy Kite

A great day out in the stunning Lamington National Park. The are loads more species to be found in this area, so I will be back as soon as I can!

8th October, Brisbane Airport
484. White-bellied Sea Eagle
Nice to have one fly over the car just outside the airport. I'm about to board my flight up to Cairns, where I'll hopefully see some great birds over the next few days!

8th October, Cairns
485. Torresian Imperial Pigeon
486. Striated Heron
487. Australasian Darter
488. Australasian Swiftlet
489. Eastern Reef Heron
490. Black-fronted Dotterel
491. White-breasted Woodswallow

I arrived in Cairns early in the evening and headed down to the esplanade virtually immediately. Sadly it was high-tide so there were very few waders present! I will be back tomorrow...

9th October, Cairns Esplanade, Queensland
492. Far Eastern Curlew
493. Grey-tailed Tattler
494. Terek Sandpiper
495. Bar-tailed Godwit
496. Great Knot
497. Sharp-tailed Sandpiper
498. Red- necked Stint
499. Curlew Sandpiper
500. Broad-billed Sandpiper, two seen, rare migrant to Australia
501. Lesser Sandplover
502. Double-banded Plover
503. Greater Sandplover
504. Red-capped Plover
505. Peaceful Dove
506. Scaly-breasted Munia
507. Varied Honeyeater

Cairns Botanical Gardens, Queensland
508. White-bellied Cuckooshrike
509. Orange-footed Scrubfowl
510. Intermediate Egret
511. Radjah Shelduck
512. Varied Triller
513. Magpie Goose
514. Royal Spoonbill
515. Mangrove Gerygone
516. Helmeted Friarbird
517. Dusky Myzomela
518. Black Butcherbird
519. Olive-backed Sunbird
520. Double-eyed Fig Parrot
521. Rainbow Bee-eater
522. Brown-backed Honeyeater
523. Yellow Honeyeater

Cairns Esplanade, Queensland
524. Cicadabird
525. Metallic Starling

What a great day!!

Last edited:
10th October, Cairns Esplanade, Queensland
526. Torresian Kingfisher

Virtually the same birds as yesterday along the Esplanade, but very nice to get a lifer!

Mount Whitfield Conservation Park, Queensland
527. Mistletoebird

Cemetery, Cairns
528. Pacific Baza

Cairns
529. Brown Honeyeater

It has been very hard work today, with lots of walking and not many birds, though three Pacific Bazas made it worth it!

Last edited:
11th October, Port Douglas, Queensland
530. Black-necked Stork

What an awesome place!! It's difficult to get much birding done without my own transport and with virtually no money. Hopefully I'll be able to work something out! Currently I'm booked in for two nights in Port Douglas, and I don't know what I'll do after that!

I've had one identified from a photograph from earlier in the week:

10th October, Mt Whitfield Conservation Park, Queensland
531. Satin Flycatcher

I had suspected it was this species but needed confirmation to separate it from the Leaden!

And one yesterday:
12th October, Port Douglas, Queensland
532. Spangled Drongo

13th October, Innisfail, Queensland
533. Black-shouldered Kite

Wongaling Beach, Queensland
534. Red-tailed Black Cockatoo
535. Channel-billed Cuckoo

14th October, Wongaling Beach, Queensland
536. Brown Goshawk
537. Chestnut-breasted Mannikin
538. Brolga- three flew just over my head!!
539. Australian Pipit
540. Tawny Grassbird
541. Bridled Tern

Sadly my trip to Dunk Island was cancelled due to the boat being 'broken'!

Last edited:
15th October, near Townsville, Queensland
542. Little Eagle

Inkerman, Queensland
543. Australian Bustard

Bowen, Queensland
544. Red-winged Parrot
545. Cockatiel

Last edited:
16th October, Conway NP, Queensland
546. Little Shrikethrush
547. White-throated Gerygone
548. Rose-crowned Fruit Dove
549. Black-faced Monarch

Airlie Beach, Queensland
550. Great Bowerbird
551. Buff-banded Rail

Another great day and I now need fewer than 50 more species to reach my target, and I'm not even at the halfway stage yet! Sadly without any plans to go beyond the Antipodes, the total is unlikely to increase by too much!

Last edited:
19th October, Kybong, Queensland
555. Grey Shrikethrush

Noosa NP, Queensland
556. Noisy Friarbird

Last edited:
20th October, Noosa NP, Queensland
557. Large-billed Scrubwren
558. Pallid Cuckoo
559. Rufous Whistler

Last edited:
16th October, Conway NP, Queensland
546. Little Shrikethrush
547. White-throated Gerygone
548. Rose-crowned Fruit Dove
549. Black-faced Monarch

Airlie Beach, Queensland
550. Great Bowerbird
551. Buff-banded Rail

Another great day and I now need fewer than 50 more species to reach my target, and I'm not even at the halfway stage yet! Sadly without any plans to go beyond the Antipodes, the total is unlikely to increase by too much!

Ah! You've seen rose-crowned fruit dove, a bit of a bogey bird for me!

How are you travelling down the east coast, calling in at all those places?

You'll have no bother reaching your target. I see that you've already added 8 since this post. I was last in Brisbane in November 2013 and saw several that you haven't seen yet around the bird hide at Wynnum (train from CBD to Wynnum North and then a 30 minute walk). Birds there included red-necked avocet, marsh sandpiper (both my first ever) and chestnut teal. Another trip was to catch a train to Sandgate and then a bus to Clontarf. An easy walk along the shoreline to Woody Point revealed pacific golden plovers, among other things. They do whale watching trips from Redcliffe nearby, and that might give you an opportunity to see some oceanic birds.

Ah! You've seen rose-crowned fruit dove, a bit of a bogey bird for me!

How are you travelling down the east coast, calling in at all those places?

You'll have no bother reaching your target. I see that you've already added 8 since this post. I was last in Brisbane in November 2013 and saw several that you haven't seen yet around the bird hide at Wynnum (train from CBD to Wynnum North and then a 30 minute walk). Birds there included red-necked avocet, marsh sandpiper (both my first ever) and chestnut teal. Another trip was to catch a train to Sandgate and then a bus to Clontarf. An easy walk along the shoreline to Woody Point revealed pacific golden plovers, among other things. They do whale watching trips from Redcliffe nearby, and that might give you an opportunity to see some oceanic birds.

Thank you so much for the info Allen, I shall make sure I head over to the Wynnum area as soon as I can (I'm heading back to Brisbane today so that should be soon!). I definitely need to get a pelagic in before the end of my travels as well! It was fantastic to see the Fruit Dove, I had accidentally flushed six from near the path before I finally found a perched one which allowed me to identify it. I've been catching buses down the coast and walking out into the national parks from my accommodation, I wish I had a car though!

One more addition today:
21st October, Noosa NP, Queensland
560. Olive-backed Oriole

Thank you so much for the info Allen, I shall make sure I head over to the Wynnum area as soon as I can (I'm heading back to Brisbane today so that should be soon!). I definitely need to get a pelagic in before the end of my travels as well! It was fantastic to see the Fruit Dove, I had accidentally flushed six from near the path before I finally found a perched one which allowed me to identify it. I've been catching buses down the coast and walking out into the national parks from my accommodation, I wish I had a car though!

One more addition today:
21st October, Noosa NP, Queensland
560. Olive-backed Oriole

I forgot to mention that Wynnum is a high tide roost. I think so, anyway. There is water to the left and right of the hide, with mangroves beyond and an industrial area further left. I saw some good birds on both my visits (the other was in 2011), but the 2013 visit produced better birds, as mentioned. Marsh sandpiper had been a "bogey bird" for many years after I'd seen a "thin-looking greenshank" in the Ebro Delta back in 2004! Thinking back to my 2011 visit, the high tide roost included about 300 whimbrel, my largest flock of the species by a very large margin.

The Woody Point / Clontarf area is probably better away from high tide, as the waders feed in the inter-tidal areas there.

I forgot to mention that Wynnum is a high tide roost. I think so, anyway. There is water to the left and right of the hide, with mangroves beyond and an industrial area further left. I saw some good birds on both my visits (the other was in 2011), but the 2013 visit produced better birds, as mentioned. Marsh sandpiper had been a "bogey bird" for many years after I'd seen a "thin-looking greenshank" in the Ebro Delta back in 2004! Thinking back to my 2011 visit, the high tide roost included about 300 whimbrel, my largest flock of the species by a very large margin.

The Woody Point / Clontarf area is probably better away from high tide, as the waders feed in the inter-tidal areas there.

Fantastic, thanks Allen. I will try and get there later this week. I would definitely like a Red-necked Avocet!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back