• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (37 Viewers)

Unfortunately (presuming you wanted to see a Snow Bunting), this is a Linnet (probably a female). Snow Buntings can be seen normally at Salthouse/Cley, Winterton or Holkham, although the flocks may be beginning to depart now. 14 were at Winterton and 24 were at Cley on Saturday so if you get down there quick you could see them this season. Very good picture though.

Edit - It seems you saw some Snow Bunting anyway at Winterton.

Last edited:
Thanks Louis, that's great. The pic was taken on Horsey/Winterton beach and about 10 minutes later I ran into a nice 20ish strong flock of snow buntings. There are some average pics of them on the second flickr link below. Cheers

Interesting report from Cromer today, the recently regular Peregrine has found a friend and they were "Resting on and flying round church tower". A future location for breeding maybe.

A bit more of a challenge?

Me again, with another identification query. This is the only image I managed to get, pretty much a back view but a bit of head and bill to help(?). I've looked through Collins and can only come up with one possible but as it seems so unlikely I'm reluctant to put it out there. Can anyone help, please? Also, the peregrine possibility would be a great if it came off - a terrific location scenically and a good publicity opportunity in the holiday season. A seaside complement to the Norwich Cathedral site.

Attachments

• Conversion_D_42.jpg
    Conversion_D_42.jpg
    560.6 KB · Views: 173
Unfortunately, Pipits are not my speciality but I would be inclined to suggest Meadow Pipit. I would recommend posting it in the Bird ID forum (https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=114) if you want a certain ID. In regards to the Peregrines, yes it would be great, a few days ago they were heard and seen "mating noisily". Even if they don't nest this year, if a platform was put on the church for next year that would help a lot.

Thanks,
Louis

Two Bramblings singing this morning when I put out the bird food. Five came down to feed a while later including a male in full summer plumage.

RSPB Titchwell Marsh 31/03/19

How sad to see the lack of reporting on here these days.
I used to rely on it when visiting North Norfolk.
A beautiful day at Titchwell today 31/03/19
So good to see so many Med Gulls amongst the many black headed gulls, with 10 sandwich terns dropping in to surprise us.
In truth we didn't see anything special outside a water pipit, but great to see a few godwit and other common wading birds that we seldom see so far inland where we live.

Attachments

• PSX_20190331_173853.jpg
    PSX_20190331_173853.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 73
In my opinion, although I am relatively new to birding, Norfolk bird sightings are well recorded. I would recommend checking pennyshotbirdingandlife or rarebirdalert, nenbc.co.uk (although not covering the area you probably consider to be North Norfolk) and the list goes on (blogs, cleybirdclub etc.). I do think most of North Norfolk lacks its own bird club to report 'commoner' species.

A couple of dozen House Martins moving Eastwards ahead of some low, rumbling thunder clouds.

We've had small groups going over, maybe 4 at a time, near Dereham.
I put the rumbling down to jets, rather than thunder, but the lightning outside my workshop has just made me look up.
H

going off topic on the Norfolk thread, gets your posts deleted!!! Those people that complained about me rambling on about other stuff besides Norfolk birding back in 2009 was the reason that I started https://pennyshotbirdingandlife.blogspot.com/ Since the 1st of January 2010 I can write anything I want on my blog!;) and whilst I'm 'rambling' thank you to those that complained and got my posts deleted!!! If it were not for you, I wouldn't now be running an extremely successful blog with over 4,000 views daily!:t:

going off topic on the Norfolk thread, gets your posts deleted!!! Those people that complained about me rambling on about other stuff besides Norfolk birding back in 2009 was the reason that I started https://pennyshotbirdingandlife.blogspot.com/ Since the 1st of January 2010 I can write anything I want on my blog!;) and whilst I'm 'rambling' thank you to those that complained and got my posts deleted!!! If it were not for you, I wouldn't now be running an extremely successful blog with over 4,000 views daily!:t:
Quite right too Penny. I've deleted my OT posts. I know when I'm looking to visit Norfolk your blog is usually the first place I visit. Great source of information which is easily accessible - cheers :t: Same with your tweets too:t:

Rich

Ditto, to OT post, particularly as Rich's deletions left it as an island.

Major ditto to the blog, I'm one of 4000 daily, great, easy to navigate, on RBA news particularly
Harry

Curious, this lesser white front, earlier reported as escape, now news comes out not indicating this, did something change or just no one is bothering putting esc. now?

Heard and then saw 3 swifts over the house mid morning, first of the year, but they had a quick chase and then carried on eastwards. Good luck wherever you go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back