• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Matt's watercolors (2 Viewers)

I'm very envious of the amount of control you have over watercolour Matt, fabulous colour and exquisite detail.

Mike

Here is a male bay-breasted warbler. Transparent watercolor on W&N 140 NCP paper 8.5 x 7.5 inches. The detail shot is 3.5x 3 inches.

How do you pick a favorite warbler? Beats me, but these are high on the list. Not necessarily the showiest, but beautiful.

A WIP can be found here.

Attachments

• bay.jpg
    bay.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 111
  • bayCU.jpg
    bayCU.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 84
A real beauty. There's so much control of the medium but no loss of the 'life' of the bird Terrific work.

Mike

You must have raised your watercolours so well for them to behave like this - I'm afraid my watercolours terrorise the neighbourhood and mix with a bad crowd of acrylics and sniff glue. Nice to see that there are some people with good parenting skills over their paints! A superbly fresh glow comes from this one.

Matty I love your artwork . I cannot wait to get into watercolouring again . I have just found this thread and noticed that the links in your first post are now dead .
I wonder if it might be an idea to refresh the links in the first post for new visitors in case anyone might think the thread was dead:t:

Thanks Colleen, Tim and Woody.

Nick, tell your watercolors, acrylics, glue, collage and anything/everything else, to keep doing exactly what they have been doing. The mix you have going now is perfect.

Thanks Earleybird, I repost-ed those early links to paintings in the early posts. They got pulled off when I revamped the website using Flash a while back.

Some new sketches and another non-bird painting... a 5 x 7 inch transparent watercolor of a female bluet damselfly on Lana 140lb HP paper. The detail of the painting is about 2x3 inches. A WIP of the painting can be seen on my blog.

Attachments

• cedarww.gif
    cedarww.gif
    127.4 KB · Views: 75
  • woodcock.gif
    woodcock.gif
    96.1 KB · Views: 78
  • femBluetSM.jpg
    femBluetSM.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 99
  • femBluetCU.jpg
    femBluetCU.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 82
When some day in the far future when I can leave the shore and waders, I will use your amazing sketches to really study how it should be done.

I love the colors of the dragon, and also how you suggest perspective and created depth on this one.

When it comes to dragonflies, you is definitely da man!

But that sounds like I'm dismissing the birds and amphibians...No way am I doing that! It's all top notch.

Mike

Matty, Just came across this thread for the first time and wanted to say how impressed I am with your skill at watercolour. Very fine work

Thanks again for all the nice comments. My time has been pretty limited lately. The dragonfly and damselflies lend themselves nicely to a tiny 5x7 inch format, which fits my time constraints better than my usual larger bird paintings.

Here are some bird sketches...

Our feeders have finally been taken over by the Rose-breasted Grosbeaks... which were previous overrun by annoying house sparrows. Also included is a sketch of a common redpoll that was visiting out thistle feeder this winter. I need to come up with a better setting for it when I get around to painting it.

Attachments

• rbgros.gif
    rbgros.gif
    59.2 KB · Views: 79
  • houseSparrow.gif
    houseSparrow.gif
    85.5 KB · Views: 87
  • redpoll.gif
    redpoll.gif
    37.6 KB · Views: 88
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back