• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Andalucia (2 Viewers)

Hello, Andalusia is a magnificent place, have been there for 12 years to make the holidays at the Donana national park, I could see them more rapacious than in the rest of my birdwatching, Algeciras, Gibraltar, vultures still close to the blades exploiting wind currents.
Anyone who has been to the Donana can only hope to go back.

Attachments

• Aves rapaces.jpg
    Aves rapaces.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 84
Thanks for your comments and maybe I will leave Donana until another trip when I can stay nearby. In that case what areas would birders suggest I visit instead?

Hi again, Rob. Given your geographical location, I'd suggest birding either the strait of Gribraltar or the Ronda mountain range. Good luck!

Birding the Strait of Gibraltar: when and where to go

Birding the Strait of Gibraltar is a rewarding experience most days of the year. Although both migratory periods are known to provide the most surprising amounts of birds, all winter and late summer also offer an attractive journey in this strategic migratory point. The success rate is heavily influenced by the winds; as a general rule, we must head to the eaternmost part of the Strait in westerlies, and vice versa. I met up with my friends from Norway in the Costa del Sol and headed to the Algarrobo view point very early in the morning. Although a bit cloudy we could see +200 Black Kites and a few Griffon Vultures coming in. We soon checked some other view points and added a few species, always outnumbered by the Black Kites. We visited a Northern Bald Ibis colony nearby, that lead us 7 pairs of these extremely beautiful and mistic birds, very much devoted to love on these days. Then a quick car-based birding session around the marshes of Barbate gave us perfect sights of waders and a Montagu’s Harrier. After a short cultural visit to Tarifa village, the day finished at the Punta del Carnero cliff site, where one by one, we welcomed 19 Short-toed Snake Eagles in just a few minutes. Although this site widely provides for at least 2-3 full days of birding, we enjoyed an intensive great journey of spring migration. Birding the Strait of Gibraltar is highly recommended to anyone visiting the South of Spain. Here’s an excellent view of the Northern Africa’s mountain range as seen from the Strait:

Attachments

• Northern Bald Ibis in Spain.jpg
    Northern Bald Ibis in Spain.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 91
  • birdwatch strait of gibraltar.jpg
    birdwatch strait of gibraltar.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 101
Birding the Cabo de Gata - East Andalucia

March is a great month for birding Cabo de Gata, in the eastern corner of Andalucia. We went for a weekend birdwatching tour that tourned out to surpass our birding expectations! We started in Malaga, then drove along the Mediterranean highway A7 and got to the Almería province in just 3 hours. We made a short stopp at some impressive cliffs in the Granada’s coast and saw Blue Rock Thrush that shined as blue as the sea in the background. A couple of Peregrines surprised us as they appeared out of nowhere from underneath. Quite good impressions at just the beginning of the tour. Once in the province of Almeria, we took it easy and tood advantage of theses longer spring days, so had a try on the salinas near Roquetas de Mar, where we came across a nice variety of waders.

On the next day, the salinas de Cabo de Gata and the nearest shore provided interesting birds, including a nice number of Audouin’s Gull and a flock of around one hundred Avocets. A couple of hiking trails could not provide the Trumpeter Finch for the moment, and ended up at the Rambla Morales. The Amoladeras trail was the perfect secery to birdwatch during the sunset.

Some friends from the Andalucia Bird Society found the Trumpeters, and that boosted us to wake up early the day after, and patrol the Carboneras area. We found then great numbers of Black Wheatear and saw the first Red-rumped Swallows of the year. But no Trumpeters… until we were about to get back to Malaga. I could make the Trumpeter Finch out by its inmistakably sound just when it flew overhead and stopped just in front of us for a few seconds, just enough to take a short video a the attached picture. Do miracles exist? Well, when birding surprises like this keep a smile on your face for the whole day.

Complete bird list for this tour here: http://www.wildandalucia.com/birding-cabo-de-gata-almeria/

Attachments

• trumpeter finch in spain.jpg
    trumpeter finch in spain.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 134
  • birding in cabo de gata.jpg
    birding in cabo de gata.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 128
  • Red-rumped Swallow in spain.jpg
    Red-rumped Swallow in spain.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 115
  • bird guide dabo de gata.jpg
    bird guide dabo de gata.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 123
Spring has come

I've recently been surprised how much my local patches in the province of Málaga have changed with the arrival of the spring. It seems that every day on the fild a couple of new summer visitors have arrived. Not to mention the first orchids and the hawthorn's blossom.
I do recommend a visit to, for instance, El Torcal de Antequera, at just 1 h far from the Costa del Sol, for now it is its very best time of the year and not just for birding. Summer will arrive sooner than expected.

Good birding everybody!

Attachments

• bird guide torcal de antequera.jpg
    bird guide torcal de antequera.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 146
Birding the Sierra Mágina in Jaén

We all know Birding in Jaén means raptors, and most of us would directly link the province of Jaén with the Lammergeir and the Iberian Lynx. That’s a fact, the province of Jaén is the only one in the world where these 2 species live. But besides all that, the Sierra Mágina Natural Park is a hidden secret that remains unrevealed for most of the birders. My now friends Liv and Steinar -from Norway- were visiting the Costa del Sol and decided to call us and arrange a birding day trip somewhere in Andalucia where they could see raptors. They agreed to have a try on these non much known Sierras in Jaén and I can just recall the look on their faces when we saw the first raptors.

A not so far Golden Eagle flew fast and furious over the northern side of the Park, we enjoyed it for a long minute and quite soon after a Bonelli’s Eagle came across us at an even closer distance. This was one of these days when raptors decide to give you good memories. Soon after, the first wheatears started to appear. The rest of the day produced Iberian Chiffchaff, Sardinian and Orphean warblers, Whitethroat, kestrels and Griffon Vulture. The views of the snow on top of the Sierra Nevada were terrific.

We had a great picnic at 2000 m.a.s.l. that was interrupted by a compulsory photo session to a herd of daring Iberian Ibex that were very curious about us and the hikers around. On the way back to the car, we enjoyed some lizzards and orchids. We will definately be coming back to Sierra Mágina in the automn.

If you want to birdwatch with us and enjoy a day trip like this one, just contact us on www.wildandalucia.com

Or if you just enjoy reading birding reports, please find all ours here: http://www.wildandalucia.com/trip-reports/

(Probably the most varied compilation of birding reports throughout Andalusia)

Attachments

• golden eagle in Andalucia.jpg
    golden eagle in Andalucia.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 147
  • Wheatear Magina Jaen Andalucia.jpg
    Wheatear Magina Jaen Andalucia.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Orchis Olbiensis.JPG
    Orchis Olbiensis.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 137
  • Iberian Ibex Jaen.jpg
    Iberian Ibex Jaen.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 122
  • Sierra Mágina wildlife.jpg
    Sierra Mágina wildlife.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 124
Birding among Hawthorn blooms

We are proud to have guided the first birdwatching journey organized by the Torcal de Antequera visitor centre. The Torcal, at just 45 min from Malaga airport, is the best scenery to combine rocky birds, plants and general wildlife.

We were a bit of a big crew this time -17 members-, but the birds showed up really well, including the very elusive Blue Rock Thrush and a beautiful male of Black-eared Wheatear.

We love to run birding tours in The Torcal de Antequera, where wrens and nightingales are the best background music while walking among Hawthron blooms.

Birdlist of the day:
Red-legged Partridge
Griffon Vulture
Common Swift
Red-billed Chough
Thekla Lark
Eurasian Blue Tit
Great Tit
Eurasian Wren
Melodious Warbler
Subalpine Warbler

European Robin
Black Redstart
Blue Rock Thrush
Black-eared Wheatear
Eurasian Blackbird
Rock Bunting
Corn Bunting
Common Chaffinch
European Greenfinch
European Goldfinch
Eurasian Linnet
European Serin
Rock Sparrow

Attachments

• melodious warbler.jpg
    melodious warbler.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 132
  • birding in el torcal.jpg
    birding in el torcal.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 114
  • collalba rubia.jpg
    collalba rubia.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 136
  • roquero solitario blue rock thrush.jpg
    roquero solitario blue rock thrush.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 126
  • peonías.jpg
    peonías.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 137
Rollers and Steppe birds

The endangered population of Roller and Great Bustard in Andalucía finds shelter across the rolling hills near the city of Osuna. Most particularly, the Zepa Campiñas de Sevilla. Not just am I.B.A. but also a Natura 200o protected site. We just love to go birding here, no matter what time of the year can be a great journey. Today we’ve witnessed dawn and birded until Spanish lunch time. Found very interesting things like a roof-climbing Red-legged Partridge: (see attachment)

Not to mention the sunflower scenery blessed by the first sun rays and the constant sound of Calandra Larks: (see attachment)

But if we are to underline a sight, it’d be the Eurasian Rollers, as always vigilants and sometimes unnoticed. A visit to the nearby lagoons gave us a nice frame of a thoughtful White-headed Duck. Was it the dragonflies? (see attachment)

Official Chronicle available here: https://goo.gl/gpbpEB

If you liked this chronicle, you may be interested on the threats to the Birds in this IBA. In fact, no sight today of any Great or Little Bustard. Hundreds of olive trees were being planted right at the heart of this IBA, cleaving even more this -meant to be- cereal steppe. Any tip on how to present this issue to the environmental authorities is welcomed. Just let us know by email: [email protected]

Attachments

• roller carraca osuna.jpg
    roller carraca osuna.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 135
  • sunflower seville andalusia.jpg
    sunflower seville andalusia.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 126
  • red-legged partridge osuna andalusia birding.jpg
    red-legged partridge osuna andalusia birding.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 131
  • White-headed duck Osuna Sevilla.jpg
    White-headed duck Osuna Sevilla.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
I second Alvaro's comments about this superb area, one of my favourites in western Andalucia. I would also add that Osuna itself is a wonderful little town with many gorgeous buildings but very few tourists. Nothing beats being taken around such an area by a local guide who has the 'inside information' and contacts. However, if you want to 'do your own thing' the site is covered in the "Crossbill Guide to Western Andalucia" (bias alert! I co-wrote the book) and in my free detailed birding notes on Cadiz Province & surrounding areas (the map below being from the latter).

Attachments

• Osuna base.jpg
    Osuna base.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 133
Where to go birding in Malaga Spain

Dear birders, we have just written this article with all you need to know for your birdwatching holidays in Malaga, Spain
  • The best 30 birding spots
  • Alphabetical bird checklist
  • Practical Information: weather, calendar, etc

In gratitude to our British guests, we've made this useful guide for you and for free. It's here: http://www.wildandalucia.com/bird-watching-in-malaga/

Interesting? Then have a look at our famous 7-day birdwatching tour covering the best birding sites in Malaga and surroundings: http://www.wildandalucia.com/costa-del-sol-birding/

Or follow our latest bird sightings on: https://www.facebook.com/WildAndalucia/

Attachments

• bee-eater Malaga.jpg
    bee-eater Malaga.jpg
    578.7 KB · Views: 127

Attachments

• flamingos in cadiz.jpg
    flamingos in cadiz.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 138
  • Little ringed Plovers in Cadiz Spain.jpg
    Little ringed Plovers in Cadiz Spain.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 117
  • booted eagle cadiz.jpg
    booted eagle cadiz.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 146
  • young shrike cadiz.jpg
    young shrike cadiz.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 142
  • gadwall and pond terrapin in spain.jpg
    gadwall and pond terrapin in spain.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 143
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back