• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worcestershire- Ripple & Clifton (2 Viewers)

Thanks for the update Phil and well done Jeremy:t:

Shrugs or worse often belies guilt and a good chance they will think twice.

I have a particular issue with regard to Dog crap over at the West Hagley Fields. Instead of kicking it out of site (as i do) or bagging it in a public place (as i do). One or two idiots (2 to be exact) hang it in a bag on the farmer’s barbed-wire fence for all to see like some gamekeepers gibbit for scat:C There it will hang until it is usually bagged with others and actually put in the dedicated bin provided by the car park - what could be simpler?

It has not been easy catching this pair as i have been an infrequent visitor over Summer months. Being in possession of binoculars i can clock ppl with dogs that stop at a distance. Last Summer i nailed them but said nothing but followed them back to their car and warned them. The next time i saw the cars i hung the offending bags from door handles, windscreen wipers etc. I also pinned a note to the effect that i would up the ante if they kept it up:t:

They did not, altho there is a ‘newbie’, the next phase was ramming a few down the exhaust pipe with a broom handle - there are sooo many ways in which to punish transgression.

Superglue is a wonderful invention;)

I do actually bird as well:t:

Laurie:t:

Clifton this morning. Usual suspects...7 x Little Egret, 2 x Eygptian Geese, 10 x GC Grebe, 2 LR Plover, numerous Canada & Greylag Geese, P Wagtail, Greenfinch etc and 100 + Starlings. Few pics....

imgonline-com-ua-resize-AOeeDwQnAT8.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-ataskRavn5HL0dKE.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-zJOGkrLMsV4Jzny.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-TjvPoaOjGqJVRE.jpg

Ripple this morning.....

5 Common Sandpiper, 5 Grey Heron & 1 Little Egret on south lake.
2 Common Tern on car park fishing pool and high numbers of Goldfinch, Green Finch, Tits and Warblers (various) on surrounding trees

Glad to see RSPB have put up nesting bird signs....
Quite a few dog walkers this morning and none had heeded the notice to keep their dogs on leads. My dog was with me, well behaved and on a lead.

imgonline-com-ua-resize-6LhtqsahcdOzLBjM.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-I0e930wYhXm.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-hp57ceKOl5QH.jpg

Clifton this morning......Cold.

One solitary Common Sandpiper on small pit

Good numbers of Pied and Yellow Wagtails in horse paddocks. 100+ Canada Geese, 20+ Greylags, 3 Grey Herons, 15 GC Grebe, 100+ Swallows & Martins.

imgonline-com-ua-resize-aWNGyq4I0pBn.jpg

Clifton yesterday - lots of Yellow Wagtails, Redstarts in the trees close to the main pit. 3 Little Egrets and a pair of Egyptian Geese.

Last edited:
Just to get the ball rolling for this year, still a pair of Egyptian geese at Ripple - first for my county list anyway! Nice flock of yellowhammers, linnets and reed buntings on south lake. And finally a great egret. Year birds dropping like flies post-lockdown.

The white-fronted goose at Cifton seemed a good target once the rain had eased this lunchtime, especially as it would be new for my county list. And it was. Pretty much the first bird I saw after breasting the dirt bank. That set the visit up nicely and two or three yellow wags and plenty of swifts kept it rolling. My nest focus of course was the shingle spit in the north pool since ringed plovers had been reported. Before them I picked up three dunlin and what looked like a smaller bird. It was smaller, definitely. At the distance the plumage and behaviour looked good for little stint and later, closer views confirmed it.

As if all this weren't enough a couple of ravens flew away to the south and then in an effort to focus on a skylark, a red kite drifted right into my field of view! Why do they frequently look so ragged? Is it the time of year?

Anyway, all that was left was the whooper swan. For saying it's big and white it had managed to elude me by loafng just below the bank by the flooded bits. Sadly its standing position today suggested that the bird was favouring its right leg, which may explain why it's not headed north and maybe never will.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back