• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sports / Concert Binocular recommends needed (1 Viewer)

Please don't flame me. I know this forum is for bird watching, but I suspect you guys are using the binoculars you buy for other purposes as well. I am not really much into birds, sorry, don't kill me, I'm just not, but I am looking for a nice pair of binoculars that isn't going to kill my wallet. Why did I choose this forum then if I don't like birds you ask? Because you guys actually reply to posts regularly! And that is what keeps a forum alive!!

I am looking for a small, but high quality pair of binoculars for concerts that are being held in outdoor sporting event venues. The concert I will be going to is being backwards held in a baseball stadium, why on Earth they picked this sort of of venue I will never understand, no seat is good and I didn't want to stand. It is a night concert. Although the baseball field is not huge and I am not sure how far back they will set up, but I am sure it will be quite far. I have a pair of 8x25 travel binoculars from Nikon, they are great, but in darkness the pupil is too big, so the exit pupil is a bit too small. It works, but...

I would rather not buy a regular sized pair of binoculars for several reasons, size, not easy to conceal, heavy, etc.

I was considering to buy the 10x30 from Nikon but the only big benefit I see is that they are waterproof, which is something I need. But the exit pupil is not any better than the 8x25s I already have. And I am not sure that the 10x is really going to give me all that much difference. I think to 10x30 would probably be a good fit? What do you guys think?

Any suggestions you have let me know.

I will bring both pairs with me to the concert as their are two of us going, so it would be nice to have two different magnifications, but not totally different as I will need these for other indoor events in the future and do not want to get too crazy.

Thanks.

Hi Binotacular, and welcome!
As you're probably aware, low light ability and small size tend to be mutually exclusive in the world of binoculars.

For indoor concerts and sporting events, I wouldn't think that low light capability would be too crucial because, generally, they tend to be fairly well lit - unlike (for example) looking at birds in a forest at dusk.

Given your stated requirements, I would have thought that a "general purpose binocular" (if there is such a thing) would be most suitable - and with not too high magnification - generally, more magnification gives you a narrower field of view, which would be a disadvantage at sporting events.

My own recommendation would be something like Nikon's 8x30 Monarch 7 binoculars, which combine a clear, bright view with a generous field of view (8.3 degrees). They're not "cheap" binoculars, but they're a long way from being the most expensive. They're relatively compact, and amongst the lightest in their size category. Some people don't get on with the eye relief/exit pupil and they can be a bit fussy about getting them accurately lined up with your eyes - so probably a case of try before you buy, if you can.

You can even use them to watch birds... ;)

If you hang around here long enough, you'll be sure to get a range of different opinions to give you food for thought.

Thanks Mandobear. This particular concert, however, is outdoors. I am not sure how well it is going to be lit, no idea of stage presentation. But certainly the stage should be somewhat lit up... Perhaps I should give a bit more detail, it is a Guns and Roses Concert. And my seats are up in the nose bleed section. But again this purchase is not one concert specific.

I had considered buying a changeable magnification binocular, but... They are quite pricey and the exit pupil becomes yet another problem.

Indeed the narrower FOV will be a problem for concerts, for this particular one, most of us will be looking at Axl and his bad behavior which makes it fun, but... not every concert will be like that. haha. So I would agree that I do not want too much magnification anyway.

Do you think my current pair of Nikon's are enough? 8x25. They are a travel pair, they are quite small, but very good quality. I wear glasses, so they have to have the rubber things on them, I forgot to mention this in my initial post.

I did run past the Monarch 7s you mention. But they are a bit pricey and as I already have a pair of 8x I was thinking to go with a 10x this time. But that would be 10x30, they start getting bigger and of course more expensive. but I did not check the 10x30s FOV yet. EDIT sorry the ones I was looking at were the PROSTAFF 7S 10x42. But it seems a bit too big?

My problem when I look through binoculars is that I only get one eye looking at the things, I cannot get both eyes to mix, or is that just how binoculars are and I just never thought about that? haha. Getting things lined up takes me a bit of time. My wife will be joining me, so every time we change we have to refocus everything. I would like to save a bit of time doing that.

Watching birds with these eye? hahahaha, to be honest, I am a photographer, I would rather be shooting them with my camera than just watching them. ;-)

I believe others will chime in on my post. And I appreciate your comments, and not booting me because I am not asking about binoculars to look at birds. haha. This is what I meant, people reply often here and that is why I choose this forum, people are more active. :)

Please also note though I am not just fixed on Nikon products, I am open to other recommendations as well.

Last edited:
Personally, I would avoid variable magnification binoculars like the plague. Almost inevitably they will have a narrower field of view compared to a decent binocular of the same magnification, the images you'll see will be less clear and sharp, and less bright (because the eyepieces contain more lenses, and because they aren't optimised for a particular magnification). They fall down because of too many optical compromises. There have been some variable-powered binoculars that have been satisfactory - but they're generally very expensive, and much heavier than fixed-power binoculars.

I would think that the 10x42 size would be too big, generally, for the uses you describe. Sure, you could use it, but it'd be bulkier and heavier than you might want.

That you say you can only get one eye looking at things with your binoculars suggests either that they're not set up correctly for you (in terms of the distance between the two tubes - and maybe the diopter setting on the right hand tube), or that they're out of alignment. It might be worth trying other pairs at a shop to see whether it's just the setup, or whether your own binoculars are out of alignment. I wear glasses too, and i sometimes find that the fully retracted position of the eyecups is actually too far, and the image blacks out a bit. Having the eyecups extended just a little way can put things right and give a clear image.

Last edited:
Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

As you found out, in really bad light, you want a large exit pupil - although I would expect that the stage lighting for a concert will be good enough for any pair of binoculars, even your 8x25 pair.

Regarding 10x bins - they're not everybodies cup of tea, especially not the ones with a smaller exit pupil (10x25 or 10x30). The reason is not only the so-so low light performance due to a smaller exit pupil but also the need for exact eye placement.
Plus 10x is not so easy to hold stable, especially for longer times... So if you got a chance to try a pair of 10x bins - grab it.

Since you and your wife will really need two pairs to enjoy the show due to the hassle to reset IPD and diopter settings, I would get one mid-size pair in either 8x or 10x (if you like that).

The Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 and 10x30 do a lot of things right and few wrong, so for their price they're hard to beat. There is btw. an 8x30 pair in the classifieds in here atm...

Another budget option is the Sightron Blue Sky 2 8x32 which tends to sell bellow 200 USD and works quite well for that or a lucky deal somewhere (you might wnat to follow the Binocular Bargains thread).

Zoom binoculars are usually terrible, there are a few decent but very expensive ones with switchable magnification (Leica Duovid and some big astro bins).

Joachim

I suggest the Nikon ProStaff 8x25 ATB. It is a very well made reverse Porro prism binocular and very reasonably priced. It should work well at an outdoor concert. Looking at a well lit stage will be no problem. 8x25 is the best format for all-around use in compact binoculars. I've used 8x25 binoculars at night baseball games and night football games.

See its specs here:

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/binoculars/prostaff-8x25-atb.html

You should be able to find one easily in Taiwan.

Bob

Last edited:
I would recommend you stick with your Nikon 8x25. You'd need at least 8x42 to make a serious enough difference in brightness to justify the expense, and those are large, and quality isn't cheap. You're not watching birds in the dark, the performers themselves should be well-lit.

One option to consider is getting a small spotting 50mm scope as an adjunct to your binoculars, or a 42mm monocular.

If I may.....There will be a HUGE screen on either side of the stage. If you have "nose bleed" tickets just watch it on the screens and if there's something you want a better glimpse of use the binoculars you already have.

If I may.....There will be a HUGE screen on either side of the stage. If you have "nose bleed" tickets just watch it on the screens and if there's something you want a better glimpse of use the binoculars you already have.

You're trying to talk someone into not getting another pair of binoculars...? On this forum...? ;)

You're trying to talk someone into not getting another pair of binoculars...? On this forum...? ;)

Just a crazy logical bit of advice.

As he stated:

"Please don't flame me. I know this forum is for bird watching, but I suspect you guys are using the binoculars you buy for other purposes as well. I am not really much into birds, sorry, don't kill me, I'm just not, but I am looking for a nice pair of binoculars that isn't going to kill my wallet. Why did I choose this forum then if I don't like birds you ask? Because you guys actually reply to posts regularly! And that is what keeps a forum alive!!"

I suspect his interest in Axel Rose and Guns-N-Roses far exceeds his interest in optics lol

Thanks all for your replies, will reply one by one.

Mandobear, yes, I was thinking that the variable magnification might not be a good idea also.

Perhaps the pair I have is too small for me. It is a travel pair from Nikon. I don't actually pull out the retracted position all the way, but they are comfortable to see, but again sometimes I cannot get them to line up right. Maybe it's just operator problem... hahah.

Jring, Thank you. Well I used these at an indoor concert years ago and they did ok. But it was an arena, not a stadium. So I was closer also. I worry that the 8x is really not going to be enough. The distance seems will be at least another 10M to 30M further away, and this time I am sitting much higher up too. But what you say about 10x worries me, I get tired of holding them quickly. Though I won't be using them the entire concert for sure. But I was hoping not to spend more than about $200. Because I rarely use binoculars. I will check out the two you are recommending. I usually buy stuff from Amazon or ebay as they ship here. Locally bought stuff is way over priced. As a non-local here I am very well knowledgable about how to get better prices, haha.

I will stay away from the zooms then. Pity, but I totally get it.

Ceasar, I will check the prostaff you mention. Why would you recommend this over the two jring is recommending? If you are using an 8x for baseball games, then it may not be too far as I fear.

As for buying things in Taiwan, I generally steer away from there. Inflated prices of 20%-100% more on items turns me off. I am very versed in internet buying, so I usually find other ways, and even with shipping I an generally snag them way less than here. But.... I have only about 20 days left before the concert. I need to make a decision by weekend end.

fazalmajid, thanks, I would rather stay away from buying another pair of the same ones though. 8x25 might be ok, but I want a different model. The expense is a consideration.

gr8fuldoug, I am thinking there also might be a huge screen behind or near them, but sometimes you still want to see something else. I hae nose bleed tickets I think. Maps is not so accurate, but I think I am only about 10 rows from the very top. And no I am not just into Axel, I think what he says will be more interesting than what he does. haha.

I am interested in optics. :)

Last night I watched two of my grandkids at an event referred to in Australia as ‘Little Athletics’. At this event in Ipswich, Queensland, hundreds of children compete each week in a variety of athletic events such as 100 to 1500 metre runs, high jump, discuss, shotput etc. The field they compete on has a 400 metre circumference under floodlights and the kids are spread all over this field competing at the same time. It was an incredibly well organised event.

I took along my travel binoculars, a recently acquired 40 year old set of Swarovski Habicht 7x42 binoculars. They proved ideal. I was able to follow the action of my two grandchildren no matter where they were on the field from my viewing spot. The beauty of these binoculars was that their focusing was smooth and fast, they are lightweight, the image is incredibly clear, and they had great depth of field. Note that these were not the newer habicht 7x42 model with its associated stiff focusing which I hate but of course mine are not waterproof. Perhaps these habicht 7x42’s might meet your needs. Some don’t like their narrow field of view but it didn’t worry me in the least at this event.

Binotacular, Re your question on Post # 11:

" Ceasar, I will check the prostaff you mention. Why would you recommend this over the two jring is recommending? If you are using an 8x for baseball games, then it may not be too far as I fear."

My thoughts are that a 10x25 or 10x30 should work for you at a concert where everything you are viewing is more or less in the same place with the same lighting. You can take your time finding your target. A sports event is different and an 8x25 or 8x30 will work better with its wider Field of View.

Many people do use 10x32 binoculars at out door concerts and other events. Below is a review of the now discontinued Leica 10x32 Trinovid BN. Read the last sentence. (I should point out that this is an expensive high quality binocular and I will also point out, from personal experience, that inexpensive 10x32 binoculars are, optically speaking, not very good!) With 10x small binoculars you get what you pay for!

http://www.company7.com/leica/lei1032.html

At a sports event where the players are moving around on the field an 8x binocular with its wider field of view will be easier to use while following the players around with your binocular than a 10x binocular which has a narrower field of view.

Bob

Last edited:

They are good little binoculars and are still being made by Nikon. The 9x25 is discontinued. Yours look like the current Nikon ProStaff 8x25 ATB and ProStaff 10x25 ATB binoculars that I recommended to you earlier. The pictures of the ones I posted came from Nikon's USA website.

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/binoculars/prostaff-10x25-atb.html

The Nikon Travelites look like this on the USA website:

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/binoculars/travelite-8x25.html

Here is another Nikon ProStaff 8x30 roof prism binocular which sells for $189.95 that may interest you.

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en....html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-TechSpecs

Bob

Last edited:
Yeah, I am just looking for another pair for me or my wife. As the Travelites one is a bit small, I was thinking to go with something just a tad bigger for me. I like the Monarch 7 8x30 that were recommended earlier but they are quite pricey at 300, but they are waterproof which is a big plus. Although with Nikon's no fault policy I suppose if you buy a pair of not waterproof and they get wet they may actually replace them, though I would rather not find out.

The travelites do indeed look like the prostaff you mentioned. And that is why I posted the link, awfully familiar. haha. They are a decent pair, yes. Just having a bit of difficulty getting them lined up, maybe it is the eye cup issue, I don't know.

I bought a pair of Zeiss Terra 8x25 for exactly this purpose. To keep them small so that they fit in my pocket, I don't use a case, just lens caps to protect the glass. They're brilliant for daytime sports, and floodlit nighttime sports, so they'd probably do well at your concert.

In the UK they cost around £250.

I've not used binoculars for the specific purpose mentioned by the OP but the light should be so bright that almost any binocular should work. I've used 8x30 and 10x40 to look at brightly lit buildings (and more particularly the bats buzzing around them, attracted by the insects that were themselves attracted by the lights) and both were fine.

What I really struggle with though is why one would want a close-up look at Axel? Now don't get me wrong, I love some of the guy's songs ... November Rain, Civil War ... and I think his rendition of Knocking on Heaven's Door is the best one (sacrelige to some I know, apologies). But... binoculars? Now if you're talking Katy Perry, say, or Rihanna...

I've not used binoculars for the specific purpose mentioned by the OP but the light should be so bright that almost any binocular should work. I've used 8x30 and 10x40 to look at brightly lit buildings (and more particularly the bats buzzing around them, attracted by the insects that were themselves attracted by the lights) and both were fine.

What I really struggle with though is why one would want a close-up look at Axel? Now don't get me wrong, I love some of the guy's songs ... November Rain, Civil War ... and I think his rendition of Knocking on Heaven's Door is the best one (sacrelige to some I know, apologies). But... binoculars? Now if you're talking Katy Perry, say, or Rihanna...

:eek!: |8||Ok I have to nip this in the bud now, I am NOT interested in a close up view of Axel, my gosh, you guys are taking what I said completely out of context.:h?: :-O I will need the binoculars for the whole concert, forget the close up, there is a video screen of that. I believe what will be more interesting is what he says rather than what he does. Unfortunately I cannot edit the post already. Yes, Katy Perry would need extra close binoculars!! I agree! :t:;):-O 8-P

Last edited:
Binotacular,

Re your post #19.

Don't worry about all that. It is no big deal.

There will be plenty of light there for your binoculars used looking at objects near or far.

I've used my little Leica 8x20 Trinovid in dark concert halls. I had no trouble focusing on the hands of the Pianist who was playing Saint-Saens 5th Piano Concerto. I was sitting back in the Orchestra seats. I've used the same binocular at night time High School football games that my son was playing in and taken it with me to resorts where I used it at the evening meals looking out the windows at birds flying around outside as twilight was approaching.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back