• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Plover from the Canary Islands (1 Viewer)

jfdocampo

Maspalomas (Gran Canaria), 23th August, 2020.

Regards,

Attachments

• DSCN7816.jpg
    DSCN7816.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 120
  • DSCN7819.jpg
    DSCN7819.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 110
Agree with Richard, Common Ringed - legs much too bright orange-red for LRP.

That was my thought but I hesitated because: head pattern could match Juv LRP, legs appear long, esp in second pic, and overall impression is long winged/bodied. Presume there's no way the leg colour could be an artefact..?

...if not, must be ringed

If you Google 'Little Ringed Plover juvenile' there are a number of LRPs with legs as orange as this bird's.

I wouldn't pin the ID on this unreliable feature.

Other LRP features are long tertials almost fully cloak the primary tips, diffuse supercilium which lacks any clear white over the eye, and in pic 2 there is almost certainly an eye ring visible.

Last edited:
I guess on the Canary Islands, one has to consider Semipalmated Plover too . . . intermediate between RP and LRP in some ways . . . :eek!:

Wow!! Too much difficult for me really.

I have other shots but I think they don't contribute anything.

I upload two shots of other plover on the same place and in the same time, just in case it helps, although it can be other species sharing the pond.

Attachments

• DSCN7785.jpg
    DSCN7785.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN7784 Copy.jpg
    DSCN7784 Copy.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
And some other individuals.

Attachments

• DSCN7774.jpg
    DSCN7774.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN7776.jpg
    DSCN7776.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN7790 Copy.jpg
    DSCN7790 Copy.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN7791.jpg
    DSCN7791.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 25
If you Google 'Little Ringed Plover juvenile' there are a number of LRPs with legs as orange as this bird's.

I wouldn't pin the ID on this unreliable feature.

Other LRP features are long tertials almost fully cloak the primary tips, diffuse supercilium which lacks any clear white over the eye, and in pic 2 there is almost certainly an eye ring visible.

Well I'm with you. I thought I saw an eye ring too...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back