• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID - Poland (1 Viewer)

AGDK

Hello

I just saw this Gull today at the local Harbour..

I'm a bit puzzled about it, since the rest of the gulls were Herring gulls 1 and 2cy, but none of them were white on the front and belly and the bill wasn't as straight under, as this.. Acc. to my birdbook and picture search on Google, the 1cy and 2cy Herring gulls aren't that whitish on the front and below..

Is this just a bit abnormal Herring gull or rather a Lesser Black backed?

Attachments

• Gull.jpg
    Gull.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 80
Long wings mean 1cy LBBG or Yellow-legged Gull. I'm probably favouring the former but open wing and tail pics would help sort if for sure.

Thanks for your input..

I do not have pictures that shows more than this, except a single one showing the head in a different angle here..

Attachments

• Gull1.jpg
    Gull1.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 18
Super.. The YLG is very rare around here.. So far only 3 registered this year in the region, so I'll report it as a LBBG 1cy

Thanks for the help

The head and bill don't look at all like LBBG to me, more like GBBG but it clearly isn't one of those.

Steve

In view of the fact that 3 of us have suggested 3 different species, and the bill is quite heavy, on reflection I'd probably leave it unidentified without open wing and tail pictures.

Thanks to all for your inputs..

I know Gulls are a difficult area, especially the 1cy...

I'll leave this bird and try to insure more detailed pictures next time

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back