• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bird from rio de janeiro (1 Viewer)

Cowbird makes sense as it was hanging around with the sparrows on its own as if it thought it was one of them! Do all Cowbird species lay eggs in other birds nests?

If not then I might be able to confirm it as shiny

Cowbird makes sense as it was hanging around with the sparrows on its own as if it thought it was one of them! Do all Cowbird species lay eggs in other birds nests?

If not then I might be able to confirm it as shiny

As mentioned in the Opus article, this (and I think all cowbirds) are nest parasites. I can't really think of any other icterids that would look similar in that area. Others would tend to be more strongly marked on the head in particular.

As mentioned in the Opus article, this (and I think all cowbirds) are nest parasites. I can't really think of any other icterids that would look similar in that area. Others would tend to be more strongly marked on the head in particular.

You have been a great help! Thanks

To me the bird in the photos under discussion seems like an immature Shiny Cowbird. Besides the bill shape and forehead being different, in my perception, from those features in the photos of the female C-c Bb, the bird in the photos shows a fairly defined superciliary line while the C-c Bb head plumage seems to be fairly homogeneous. Also the primaries of the C-c Bb seem darker than those of the bird in the photo.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back