• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lazza's 2014 lists (1 Viewer)

Very surprised to add to my list today, on a visit to my parents in the Manchester suburbs in Hazel Grove. As I unpacked the car, a particularly active little bird caught my eye in the trees between their garden and their neighbour's. It was my first sighting in their garden of

90. Goldcrest

Considering I lived in that same house for 15 years and have visited regularly ever since, it was a big surprise!

Working at offices in Cheadle for a few days, so took the opportunity over lunch to head over to Woodford, to see:

91. Pintail

- a lovely drake floating about on flooded fields just of Church Lane.

Ton up - a whole month earlier than last year!

Started the day well, with my first singing

92. Skylark

of the year as I left the house at sunrise for a cycle out to East Chevington.

Once at the lake, I headed to the hide with the new feeders set up, and immediately got good views of

93. Lesser redpoll
94. Siskin

And on the lake, my third lifer of the year:

95. Red-necked grebe

Another week, another trip away with work, another country list...

So, off to Germany for meetings, and my well-laid plans to visit a couple of good birding locations were scuppered when I forgot my driving licence so could not hire a car. Nevertheless, I managed a couple of hour birding around Dusseldorf airport over the 3 days I was away. And a few other species seen from the train, giving a grand total of 33 species and 2 new mammals:

From the train, near Minden:
1. Mute swan

From the train near Kamen:
2. Magpie

Also, roe deer [5] added to the mammal list just outside Bielefeld (from the train).

Then, at Forstbusch forest near DUS airport, Wednesday evening:
3. Great crested grebe
4. Mallard (new for German life list)
5. Bullfinch
6. Wren (new)
7. Song thrush (new)
8. Long-tailed tit
9. Robin
10. Tufted duck
11. Woodpigeon

Also added bank vole [6] to the mammal list.

Thursday morning, had a pre-breakfast wander around Kittelbachpark in Unterrach, where my hotel was, adding:
12. Blue tit
13. Moorhen (new)
14. Coal tit
15. Great tit
16. Chaffinch
17. Blackbird
18. Green woodpecker (new)
19. Jay
20. Dunnock (new)
21. Short-toed treecreeper* (new) - identity confirmed by local recorder!!
22. Marsh tit
23. Carrion crow
24. Goldfinch (new)
25. Buzzard

And back at Forstbusch for an hour while I waited for my flight:
26.Blackcap
27. Greenfinch (new)
28. Cormorant
29. Coot
30. Great spotted woodpecker
31. Nuthatch
32. Brambling (new)
33. Skylark (new)

So, all in all, quite productive, with 11 new species added to my German life list (taking it to 62), and 1* species not on any previous/higher list.

Last edited:
Back from work trip to Germany, and then striaght off to Krakow for a long weekend away :)

My first visit to Poland since becoming more serious about birding, having previously only ever noted one species - a field full of common cranes back in 2008 on a business trip. So, any other species was new for the Poland list!! And although I didn't fit in any serious birding, I still managed 19 species (all new for Poland!):

At Krakow airport, in Balice:
1. Rook (and perhaps one of the most common birds seen during the trip)
2. Magpie

In Krakow itself:
3. Jackdaw (in most parks)
4. Feral pigeon/rock dove (everywhere, and very well fed!)
5. Mallard (on the River Vistula)
6. Mute swan (R. Vistula)
7. Coot (R. Vistula)
8. Black-headed gull (R. Vistula)
9. Great tit

A sobering trip to Auschwitz was quite shocking. Despite the popular myth, however, birds do sing there, and with warm weather and birch woodland around the camps, there were several species singing and showing:
10. House sparrow
11. Blue tit
12. Coal tit
13. Green woodpecker (only heard)
14. Greenfinch
15. Starling

The next day, we had a trip to Wieliczka to see the salt mines, and on the outskirts of Krakow:
16. Common buzzard

In Wieliczka:
17. Collared dove (also seen later from our hotel room on neighbouring buildings)

And back in Krakow on the last day, a walk around some of the parks and green spaces added:
18. Eurasian treecreeper
19. Fieldfare

(no species not seen on other lists)

Last edited:
A trip to London for customer meetings didn't leave me a lot of time, but had a dusk wander around St James's Park and the Green Park. Only one new birds for the year, a free flying (although possibly feral)

96. Red-crested pochard (new for the UK)

And I did add brown rat[7] to the mammal list!!

Last edited:
Meetings in Sweden for work meant a quite rushed visit, but I still managed an hour along the river and woodland south of the town, mostly spent at the feeding station.

At Arlanda airport:
1. Magpie
2. Hooded Crow*
3. Feral pigeon - new for Sweden list!?!

On the outskirts of Uppsala, just off the motorway:
4. Rook - new for Sweden
5. Jackdaw
6. Fieldfare

And at Årika Fyris:
7. Blue tit
8. Yellowhammer - new for Sweden
9. Mallard
10. Goldeneye - new for Sweden
11. Greylag gooses - new for Sweden
12. Coal tit - new for Sweden
13. Great tit
14. Greenfinch - new for Sweden
15. Goldfinch
16. Hawfinch* - new for Sweden
17. Blackbird
18. Nuthatch
19. Jay - new for Sweden
20. Siskin - new for Sweden
21. Long-tailed tit - new for Sweden (lovely white-headed ssp).
22. Great spotted woodpecker
23. Chaffinch
24. Raven (heard, but not seen)

Heading back south via the small village of Sunnersta:
25. Green woodpecker - new for Sweden

And near Sigtuna:
26. Lapwing - new for Sweden

Then, near Rosersberg (just off the motorway):
27. Kestrel - new for Sweden
28. Starling - new for Sweden
29. Woodpigeon - new for Sweden

Had a meeting in Södertälje, and stopped in the town centre for some lunch, adding:
30. Black-headed gull
31. Canada goose - new for Sweden
32. Tufted duck - new for Sweden

And after my meeting, heading back to the motorway.... a wonderful view of:
33. Rough-legged buzzard* - a lifer!!

* of which 3 species not on previous lists

Last edited:
Out for a ride on Saturday morning, taking in a few of the nearer locations, but not adding as many species as I'd hoped (no waders, for example!)

Nevertheless, at Newbiggin, I finally caught up with the
97. Mediterranean gulls

The on to Cresswell Pond, which was very high, so no avocets or any other waders, while other wildfowl was sheltering from the wind at the far west of the pond. But along the dunes there were three:
98. Meadow pipit

Finally, on the tough cycle home into strong winds, a stop at the top of the hill out of Bothal to get my breath also gave me views of a single:
99. Stock dove

Last edited:
Summer's coming! My first summer migrant came in the form of a singing:

100. Chiffchaff

in the trees along Dunces House Lane, east of Stobhill (in fact, my target, and the reason I went the "long way" round to the post office!)

A couple of new additions from the weekend. First, a visit to Kirkley Hall with the girls finally added:

101. Treecreeper

to the UK list. Also, my first amphibian of the year (and a new one for me): great crested newt {1}

And on Sunday, a long, tough cycle ride up to Forestburn reservoir and back added:

102. Red-legged partridge

at Longwitton, the same place I saw my first RLP two years ago (although a different end of the village)!

And finally, my first UK

103. Goosander

for 2014, on the Wansbeck between Mitford and the bridge near Morpeth rugby club.

Last edited:
Slow progress recently, due to other commitments (and bad weather when I got any free time). But finally, a new addition today:

104. Dipper

A pair displaying on a riverside tree-stump in Plessey Woods.

Also added common frog {2} to the amphibian list last weekend, when I was walking to the pub on Friday night, across Morpeth County Hall carpark!!

OK, now we're getting somewhere!!

My longest rid of the year, out to Warkworth and back via the coast provided a touch challenge in windy weather, but did result in several new species for the year.

First up, as I cycled north out of Tritlington:

105. Sand martin

6 or 7 of them flitting around over the lane.

Next, as I cycled south out of Amble along the dunes:

106. Rock pipit
107. Barn swallow

While further along the beach a grey seal [8] lounged on the beach. And then at Hauxley, in addition to the huge Chinese/Swan goose, there was a

108. European White-fronted goose

A Lesser white-fronted goose was also present, but I'm not sure I can add this to my list, as it's apparently been around a while and its identity and origin are suspect!

At East Chevington:

109. Black-throated diver

And then down to Druridge pools:

110. Avocet
111. Common scoter

Finally, not a full species, but my first white wagtail of the year was seen at the north end of Cresswell Pond.

Last edited:
A ride down into Morpeth, along the "scenic route" over the bridge at the bottom of Whorral bank, east of the town centre. In addition to 6 or 7 chiffchaffs singing along the way, a hidden

112. Blackcap

was blasting out its song near the bridge.

Last couple of outings before my holiday in Spain. Yesterday evening had an hour at Cresswell pond and Snab point. The pond was very quiet - almost no waders, and most ducks at the far west of the pond away from the hide. But a single avocet made a couple of brief appearances, but it was quite flighty.

Half an hour gazing out to sea from Snab Point was also far from exciting, but I did at least add to the 2014 total. First, a single:

113. Gannet

heading north about 200m out to sea. And then, just as I was about to give up, a single

114. Fulmar

soared up the cliff face on an updraft right in front of me. 3 scoter and a handful of eider were the only other birds of note, although I did think I saw a little grebe... but not sure if that's likely on the sea or not....

Lots to add....!!

Firstly, a UK addition prior to my holiday. After advice from experts and listening to recordings again and again on xeno-canto, I am pretty much certain that I had a

115. Tree pipit

singing and displaying above a tree along Dunces Houses Lane, east of Morpeth. The bird flew up from a tree in a spiral, singing loudly, finishing with a distinct tyew-tyew-tyew-tyew... So that's another lifer for the year :)

Then it was off to Spain, where for once I had a full week (interrupted only by a work trip to Switzerland, bizarrely) - not something I usually do at this time of year.

And I managed an excellent 80 species, 13 more than my Spring total last year...and with three lifers thrown in to boot!

Arriving first thing in the morning meant good views of many common species on the drive from the airport with my father-in-law. Passing through El Altet, south of Alicante airport:

1. Spotless starling*
2. Woodpigeon
3. Collared dove
4. Crested lark*
5. Kestrel
6. Magpie

And as we drove between the salt pans of Santa Pola:

7. Greater flamingo*
8. Slender-billed gull*
9. Yellow-legged gull
10. Mallard
11. Black-winged stilt*
12. Little egret

And finally, once reaching the Urbanizacion at La Marina:

13. House sparrow
14. Serin* (present in very large numbers in the "verde" across from the house, which has grown from small saplings to extensive greenery in the years we've been coming here)
15. Bee-eater* (overhead)

That afternoon, I had an outing with my girls to Guardamar, to Reine Sofia park:
16. Blackbird
17. Feral pigeon
18. Long-tailed tit
19. Great tit
20. Sardinian warbler*

The next morning, I managed my first cycle ride, taking a long trip out to El Clot, a reserve I have read about several times but never visited. Passed a few good sites before getting there.

Along the Elche road:
21. Goldfinch
22. Glossy ibis (20-30 in a flooded field along with....)
23. Wood sandpiper*
24. Great reed warbler*
25. Mediterranean gull

At Rio Vinapolo:
26. Moorhen
27. Common sandpiper
28. Red-rumped swallow* (these seemed ever-present this year, spotted at many different locations, whereas in some years, I see very few)

I skirted the north-western side of Santa Pola salinas, and during a drinks stop, I added my first new species for Spain, when a

29. Short-toed eagle*

soared majestically overhead.

Heading in towards Santa Pola:
30. Hoopoe*
31. House martin
32. Barn swallow

After getting a little lost heading through Santa Pola (serves me right for trying to stick to the one-way system), I finally made it out to the cliffs to the north of the town centre. No wheatear species, as hoped, but I did add two new species for Spain:
33. Raven
34. Common whitethroat
And
35. Southern grey shrike*
36. Willow warbler (singing briefly)

Finally, at El Clot de Galvany - which was extermely busy with school groups - I spent an hour at the two hides over the pond and a short while at one of the "dry hides", adding another species to the Spain list, and my first lifer:

37. Coot
38. White-headed duck*
39. Pochard
40. Chiffchaff (new for Spain)
41. Little grebe
42. White wagtail
43. Zitting cisticola*
44. Greenfinch
45. Iberian green woodpecker*
46. Melodious warbler* - a lifer

Then on the way back, I passed along the N332 past the Santa Pola salinas adding:
47. Lesser black-backed gull - new for Spain
48. Avocet
49. Little stint*
50. Shelduck
51. Yellow wagtail - new for Spain (iberiae)
52. Stone curlew*

(of which 19* not on any previous/earlier list in 2014)

Last edited:
Over the next 3-4 days, I managed a few cycle rides out to various good spots for birding, managing a half hour here and an hour there, and pushing the list along quite nicely!

An afternoon ride out to Vistabella road hides added several species, firstly along the tracks through the farmland south of Dolores:
53. Cattle egret
54. Stonechat
55. Corn bunting
56. Reed warbler

Then at El Hondo, from the Vistabella hides:
57. Grey heron
58. Red-crested pochard
59. Great-crested grebe
60. Squacco heron*

A day at El Pinet beach with the family added:
61. Little tern*
62. Audouin's gull*
63. Common tern

And a trip back that evening to the hides over El Pinet salinas was also quite productive, adding a second lifer for the trip:
64. Curlew sandpiper*
65. Kentish plover*
66. Gull-billed tern* - lifer

(of which 6* are not on any earlier/previous list for 2014)

Last edited:
My holiday in Spain was interrupted for a day by a trip to Switzerland for a meeting with a customer, where there were lots of:

31. Black kite*

I also managed to fit in a short walk in the low mountains, adding:

32. Black redstart
33. Song thrush - new for Switzerland
34. Blackcap

And at GVA airport:

35. Magpie

(of which 1* is not on any previous/earlier 2014 list)

Last edited:
Back in Spain, I had time for a couple more cycle rides. The first was a trip to the San Felipe hides in El Hondo, which were surprisingly quiet, but still managed to add to the list:

67. Whiskered tern*
68. Black-headed gull
69. Collared pratincole*
70. Black-necked grebe*
71. Shoveler
72. Black-tailed godwit
73. Purple swamphen* (heard only)
74. Cuckoo* (flushed and flew ahead of me on my bike for 50m!)

Out on the Vistabella road, there were also 3
75. Marsh harriers*

And on the back road to Urb Oasis:
76. Red-legged partridge

An early morning cycle out to Dolores with a neighbour didn't allow much birding, but I still saw my first:
77. Woodchat shrike*

And finally, a cycle along the Rio Segura from its mouth at Guardamar upriver to Rojales added my final three species for the trip, including my third lifer!
78. Cormorant
79. Little ringed plover
80. Nightingale* - a lifer (heard from bushes along the river, but not seen - song checked against xeno-canto).

EDIT: somehow missed off the original posting:
81. Common swift - seen at El Altet on arrival

(of which 8* not on any previous list)

Last edited:
Back home, my first chance to go out birding came this weekend, with a visit to Fontburn reservoir with my girls. ALthough the purpose of the visit was not birding, I still added a couple of new species for 2014:

117. Willow warbler - several males singing along the southern bank
118. Redstart - a pair on the fences near the car park

Users who are viewing this thread

Back