• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Messy at the table (1 Viewer)

Jaysan

This year I have been rather regular with the sunflower seeds and have got a few regular visitors. Sparrows, gold finches, tits and greenfinches use the feeder. A robin pops by occasionally. Dunnocks and Ferel/wood pigeons feed on anything the birds drop.

When the small birds feed, the pigeons are busy running about picking the scraps. But when goldfinches are about, you can see pieces flying everywhere and it's mayhem below on the ground.

What other birds are messy feeders?

Regards, Jaysan.

Depends on what's in the feeder. If you have a mix of seeds, many birds will pull out huge volumes of mix to get to their particular favorites. I'm surprised the goldfinches are going for sunflower seeds - they much prefer thistle. Maybe they're looking for small fragments? Anyway, give them their own feeder with thistle seeds and they'll feast happily with minimal spills.

You didn't ask about mammals, but squirrels will deliberately crash into feeders to knock seeds to the ground. Bear and deer make messes at bird feeders too - they try to tip the seed onto their tongues but don't manage it very well.

My American Goldfinches have a choice of nyger or black oil sunflower seed and seem to spend more time eating the sunflower seeds. I can't comment on the behaviour of European Goldfinches.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back