• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tanzania, Zanzibar (2 Viewers)

julienl

Hey everyone,

Two birds seen in Zanzibar on the 25/08/19.

1) Purple Banded Sunbird ?

2) Which Tern is that ?

Julien

Attachments

• IMG_9928.jpg
    IMG_9928.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9976.jpg
    IMG_9976.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 55
Well I have no experience with sea birds. These are like the third time I see Terns.

According to my field guide, between Saunder's and Little Tern, Saunder' is the most likely.

Here are a few more shots if it helps.

Attachments

• IMG_9970.jpg
    IMG_9970.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9979.jpg
    IMG_9979.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 13
I'm dumb with terns, but I think the bird is a Sterna (thus not a Little/Saunder's), on shape and size compared to waders shown.

Black legs are interesting. If Common Tern is an obvious option (wings and legs too long for White-cheeked I guess), can leg colour put Roseate into the equation ?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back