• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White Wagtail in Beijing - ssp personata? (1 Viewer)

Terry Townshend

Regular vagrant
Hello,
Today I found the attached White Wagtail in Beijing. We usually see the subspecies leucopsis and ocularis here, with the occasional baicalensis but this one threw me. The closest I can find on the internet (I don't have the Pipits and Wagtails book) is ssp personata... but it looks way out of range. I'd be grateful for any views.
Thanks in advance,
Terry

Attachments

• 2012-04-14 White Wagtail ssp personata.jpg
    2012-04-14 White Wagtail ssp personata.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 141
With personata I would expect a white upper throat. Maybe a hybrid between personata and one of the other spp's.

Douwe

best guess, looking through the Wagtail book - adult female personata transitioning to summer plumage (thereby losing the white throat among other things).

Thanks guys.. I really need to invest in that Pipits and Wagtails book.. I have never seen personata or alboides before but most images of personata on the internet seem to show a white upper throat. If they can show a dark throat, I think that is the best fit. It would be the first record of personata in Beijing Municipality.

By the way, I found a cool map of White Wagtail subspecies - see here.

Now that is my type of visual support! Very nice. For all that I like words, I hate reading lists of names of subspecies and names of places - very clear.

Not a great diagram however. It mostly shows what should be the breeding ranges.

It seems to be a year for out-of-range races of alba. We had the first ever leucopsis in Philippines this year.

Thanks guys.. I really need to invest in that Pipits and Wagtails book.. I have never seen personata or alboides before but most images of personata on the internet seem to show a white upper throat. If they can show a dark throat, I think that is the best fit. It would be the first record of personata in Beijing Municipality.

By the way, I found a cool map of White Wagtail subspecies - see here.

Adults of both sexes (of personata) lose the white throat in alternate plumage. By the way, for many features alboides resembles personata. It might be just as likely to find an alboides as a personata near Beijing (looking at the distances involved of their normal ranges). Nonetheless, I like the submoustachial of this bird better for personata

Last edited:
It certainly looks good for personata. There have been a few records (I think 4 or 5) in Hong Kong, which is also outside the usual range. Occurrence in Beijing seems plausible.

Thanks John. With better coverage, I am sure Beijing would turn up more records of this subspecies. That said, Jesper Hornskov only recorded it a very few times in Qinghai when he lived there (singles on 2 May 1991 and 30 Apr 1992, and 1-3 on several dates between 8th and 23 Sep 1994) which, given its range, suggests that it should be very scarce in eastern China.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back