• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minolta Dimage Z1 and Leica Apo 62 (1 Viewer)

John Gibson2

Hi,
I have a Leica Apo 62 with the 16-48mm zoom eyepiece and a Minolta Dimage Z1 camera. Is there a decent way of using them together or would I do better to bite the bullet and buy a Nikon Coolpix 4500 say, and a suitable adaptor.
Thanks,
Novice birder

Hi John, welcome to birdforum from all the staff here.
Yes, I'd suggest a camera with a track record for digiscoping, be it Nikon cp990/995/4500 or the newer Contax models. I fear you would always be struggling and frustrated using inappropriate cameras such as the Z1.
regards,
Andy

John Gibson2 said:
Hi,
I have a Leica Apo 62 with the 16-48mm zoom eyepiece and a Minolta Dimage Z1 camera. Is there a decent way of using them together or would I do better to bite the bullet and buy a Nikon Coolpix 4500 say, and a suitable adaptor.
Thanks,
Novice birder
Hi Andy,
Thanks for the prompt and clear advice. However, I'm now left wondering if I should go with the Nikon 4500 which has been around a bit and I've seen is now available for £260 from London Cameras or would I end up wishing I'd got a newer Nikon or Contax model? Any advice would be welcome. Also what is the best way of interconnecting the scope to the chosen camera?
Novice birder

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back