• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Focus direction (1 Viewer)

DHB

I know to some this might be petty but which direction does the new ZRS and ED2 use?

Seems everyone but Leica and ProMaster are backwards.

????

Dave

All the "Bosma Chinese ED" derived bins like Promaster, Hawke, EO Atlas are CW to infinity.

Zeiss has been clockwise to infinity for some time except for the "momentary loss of reason" of the Victory 8x40 and 10x40 when they went counter-clockwise to infinity. This seems to be the standard at the top end.

The rest seem split 50-50 but are not consistent given my sample of bins e.g. Pentax are counter clockwise on the WP and SP but are CW on the DS (and probably the NV); Bushnell Legend and Excursion are CW but Elite and Discoverer are CCW and so on.

I think with these it depends on what the OEMs already have designed for the focus mechanism and that seems to be random.

I documented this and focus rate for a large number of bins on another thread.

Last edited:
Something my friend Steve noticed with the ZR 7x36 ED2 is that it has very little focus travel past infinity. From what I've read, the Leica Trinnie BNs are also like this.

When I'm focusing on a distance object, if I overshoot just a bit, I run out of focus travel.

I hadn't noticed this before Steve mentioned it, because I used the bins mostly in my backyard.

Makes me wonder if ZR used the same focuser from the 8x43 and took some focus travel off the end the way that Leica did to improve close focus ability on the Trinnie.

Not a big deal, but I usually overshoot the target and come back to focus on it since I find that it helps me achieve a finer focus, because on my sample ZR the "focus in" is smoother than the "focus out".

Something my friend Steve noticed with the ZR 7x36 ED2 is that it has very little focus travel past infinity. From what I've read, the Leica Trinnie BNs are also like this.

> snip <

My Swift Audubon 804R is now like that since Nicolas Crista [properly]adjusted it. He explained this is a "birding binocular," meaning it's designed for the backyard, field, and forest, not for infinity. Unfortunately, someone who is moderately nearsighted and chooses to use these without eyeglasses or contacts will likely not be able to focus them to infinity -- at least in the left barrel.

Howard

I know to some this might be petty but which direction does the new ZRS and ED2 use?

Seems everyone but Leica and ProMaster are backwards.

????

Dave

Dave, ZEN ED2 moves clockwise to infinity and ZRS moves CCW to infinity. The focuser lens moves in opposite directions too between these two models, simply because they have different optical designs.

Hope this helps.

Charles

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back