• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus OMD EM with Samyang 300mm (1 Viewer)

This is a mirror lens. This type o lens provide a lower quality image (comparison with the usual ones). On the other hand, the price is very low. So, if you want to take record shots, this could be an option. f6.3 it is not such a narrow aperture. Using relative high values for ISO (800 or 1600), you'll achieve acceptable shutter speeds.

I have allready Canon SX50 for record shots, so I think I wait till the Olympus own m3/4 300mm pro-lens will enter the market (at next year?) to become a perfect partner for my E-M5. But its price will probably be ~2000 euros... So I have to wait more than a year to spare the price...:smoke:

Yes, Olympus m3/4 300mm will be a good option for taking very good quality pictures. Most likely it will also deliver good quality images with a 1.4X converter added (so, at 420mm).

Quite a few of us are waiting for the Olympus 300mm to appear but it seems to be a long time coming! All images of it have been removed from Olympus' "Pro" web page http://cameras.olympus.com/mzuikopro/en/index.html which has become the 'Pro F2.8 zoom' web page! It's still near the bottom of the page though, in the 'roadmap' with the usual 'schedule for release from 2015 onward' note. I wonder whether Nikon's very lightweight 300mm F4 PF lens made them have a re-think about it...

One of the few Olympus film lenses I kept was the 500mm f8 mirror reflex. It is sharp and contrasty and quite expensive when new, having tried cheaper mirrors you could certainly tell the difference - however it was far easier to focus on a proper OM film body, just about as fast as any long lens. I have used it as a 1000mm f16 with a 2x multiplier (4/3 equiv 2000mm) on 4/3, however it is a good test of a tripod - forget image stabilisation and there is rarely a day when haze makes the combination useable. As a result I just have the basic lens these days. If you have something vaguely static and have the time to bracket focussing it is fine. At least there is no ca!

Probably best used when all else fails on long distance birding, inaccessible nesting sites etc.

I havn't tried it on the M1 yet, to date it has hung on 4/3 E-n bodies as they had bigger and clearer viewfinders than the E-nn species.

I did have a manual focus 300mm prime with a decent aperture, but manually focussing was still too hit and miss for practical bird work.

The new lens sounds like the only realistic option, depending on the price.

Last edited:
If the reach demanded is 300 mm, then the older panasonic 100-300 lens is still and option and it works well for me. Back off maybe 25mm from max zoom to improve outcome.

Niels

Quite a few of us are waiting for the Olympus 300mm to appear but it seems to be a long time coming! All images of it have been removed from Olympus' "Pro" web page http://cameras.olympus.com/mzuikopro/en/index.html which has become the 'Pro F2.8 zoom' web page! It's still near the bottom of the page though, in the 'roadmap' with the usual 'schedule for release from 2015 onward' note. I wonder whether Nikon's very lightweight 300mm F4 PF lens made them have a re-think about it...

From the 4/3 rumor site:
The 300mm is planed to start for production in Spring. And we just heard the price should be something between 1799 – 1999 €.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back