• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (2 Viewers)

I got as far as last weekend without a single lifer, due largely to not spending enough time in interesting parts of the country. Things have been livened up with 3 lifer butterflies and completing the set of long-established UK Odonata.

Last weekend was MigFest, the excellent event organised by the BTO and Spurn Bird Observatory. I didn't see the sooty shearwater or the marsh warbler, and the white-rumped sandpiper was my second, but eventually a pomerine skua graced us with a fly-by so I finally have my first lifer of the year.

If any of our UK forumites want to have a go at seawatching but aren't confident, I strongly recommend this event - the seawatching sessions are accompanied by the regular migrant-counters from the Obs, who call out what they see as a matter of course and can give directions in terms of which offshore wind turbine to look at.

I was able to squeeze in a very small amount of birding on a trip up to Colorado for a wedding. On the way back to CO Springs on the Ptarmigan Lake Trail along Cottonwood Pass, I was able to get ABA #'s...
379) American three-toed woodpecker
380) Canada Jay

It's not listed as a hotspot on EBird, but appears to be a reliable spot for this relatively uncommon woodpecker, based on other reports listing ptarmigan lake trail as the personal location. Creeping ever closer to 400...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Olive-bellied Sunbird.

The last of the trip to Uganda / Rwanda which gave me 160 new birds from a total of almost 350 species seen in about ten days birding.

weird weather this morning in East Cheshire, serious tropical downpour with thunder and lightening..... good for garden lifers.
Two Garden lifers this morning:

Little Egret flying over fairly low, presume this had been grounded in the weather somewhere nearby.

Spotted Flycatcher.

Pectoral Sandpiper at Clifton Pits Worcestershire. Very nice scope views, quite strange to see a pair of transatlantic visitors with one constantly trying to chase and bully the other away from feeding.

My fifth American wader lifer of the year, good to finally get the most common one.

Technically not a lifer (seen in native range), and not even countable yet, but seeing 3 separate Great Tits today at Kohler-Andrae State Park and later Sheyboygan Indian Mounds Park in Wisconsin was pretty neat. Introduced and expanding in the last 4 years, so we will see if and when they get added to the state checklist.

Technically not a lifer (seen in native range), and not even countable yet, but seeing 3 separate Great Tits today at Kohler-Andrae State Park and later Sheyboygan Indian Mounds Park in Wisconsin was pretty neat. Introduced and expanding in the last 4 years, so we will see if and when they get added to the state checklist.

Why would anyone want to release Great Tits in North America, they will compete and probably out-compete with native tits/chickadees for food and nesting sites.

Releasing non native species without a licence is illegal herein the UK is it not so in the USA?

Ian

Why would anyone want to release Great Tits in North America, they will compete and probably out-compete with native tits/chickadees for food and nesting sites.

Releasing non native species without a licence is illegal here in the UK is it not so in the USA?

Ian

Releasing non native species without a licence is illegal here in the UK is it not so in the USA?

Ian
Yep - they're bold and aggressive towards Poecile species and other small hole-nesting species (e.g. Downy Woodpecker at high risk), will dominate them and evict them from nest sites, and are more efficient at using bird feeder resources. Serious trouble ahead if they're allowed to establish. This is a potentially very bad invasive species problem for the future; needs dealing with now, before there's too many.

Releasing non native species without a licence is illegal herein the UK is it not so in the USA?

Ian

A bird distributor in the Chicago area...a decade or so ago? went out of business and decided to just release all of his stock. That was illegal of course, but it happened. In the years following that, a lot of very odd European songbirds were seen now and then in the Midwest, including Chaffinch, Eurasian Siskin, Eurasian Jay, Blue Tit, etc. I even, with a bunch of other birders, found a Linnet at Tawas Point some years back.

Most of those birds do not seem to have established breeding populations, the exception being European Goldfinch (which can be found further south along the Great Lakes shoreline) and Great Tit

Yep - they're bold and aggressive towards Poecile species and other small hole-nesting species (e.g. Downy Woodpecker at high risk), will dominate them and evict them from nest sites, and are more efficient at using bird feeder resources. Serious trouble ahead if they're allowed to establish. This is a potentially very bad invasive species problem for the future; needs dealing with now, before there's too many.

Probably impossible...removing a cute songbird in suburban areas is...difficult. Plus, the republican legislature has massacred the budget of the Department of Natural Resources, and they already have there hands full with much much worse invasives...

Western rock nuthatch, hopping around the citadel of Mycenae. Handsome little thing, like all nuthatches.

Attachments

• 48831022637_5df2ba28cd_c.jpg
    48831022637_5df2ba28cd_c.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 37
My 175th (IOC + two undescribed taxa) in Tanzania was Striped Kingfisher, after a sizeable haul of Eastern Arc endemics including Udzungwa Forest Partridge. It really should be one less because treating Rubeho and Winifred's Warbler as two different species is nonsense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back