• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CEO of Zeiss Sports Optics responds to our questions (1 Viewer)

Again the question, what other CEO of the remaining big four, Leica, Nikon or Swarovski has come to this forum.
Even with vague answers this puts Zeiss ahead at 1 to 0.
I have one pair of Zeiss bino's, my others are Leica, Leupold, Nikon and Swaro and Weaver
None of the others have showed up so Zeiss is ahead.
This is interesting, but I buy based on my mission specs and whether the product meets my criteria.
Brock, have you been able to get the CEO of Nikon to tell you why they discontinued your beloved 8x32 porro's?
We have not had Swaro's CEO tell yet if they plan to upgrade the 7x42 Habichts.
From what I have heard many times the distributors and dealers are left out in the cold and told to just lump it by the big four.
I have not heard of a CEO even attending a large distributor/dealer meeting.
Art

Here you are wrong!!

Jan

All it or some of it?

Good question;)

I've been told that we are just a little dealer in a tiny country so I can only speak for myself, but in my yearly dealer visits at the plants there is ALWAYS a CEO present.
Every year European sales reps (and the level above that) visit our store for a "social talk".
So if CEO's visit little dealers they will most certainly visit the bigger guys.

Jan

Again the question, what other CEO of the remaining big four, Leica, Nikon or Swarovski has come to this forum.
I have one pair of Zeiss bino's, my others are Leica, Leupold, Nikon and Swaro and Weaver
This is interesting, but I buy based on my mission specs and whether the product meets my criteria.
Brock, have you been able to get the CEO of Nikon to tell you why they discontinued your beloved 8x32 porro's?
From what I have heard many times the distributors and dealers are left out in the cold and told to just lump it by the big four.
Art
CEO's should have more important things to do than interact with an online forum. Besides, if those were email responses you have no idea who penned them. I'm surprised such an empty "interview" was posted.

Art

Hi Art

Herr Scherle was manning the Zeiss stand/booth at the British Bird Fair last year and I know he is attending this year's Fair next week.

Lee

Good question;)

I've been told that we are just a little dealer in a tiny country so I can only speak for myself, but in my yearly dealer visits at the plants there is ALWAYS a CEO present.
Every year European sales reps (and the level above that) visit our store for a "social talk".
So if CEO's visit little dealers they will most certainly visit the bigger guys.

Jan

Thats not surprising. I would guess that though you say you are a small store, you are likely one of not many stores that rely on customer communication/education in your sales. That should give you a bully pulpit in those talks. I would expect the upper management of optics companies to pay attention to what you say, or at the very least inquire for feedback. After all, you have much more interaction with the end user than a big box or internet store who is just selling an sku.

I do believe he is correct about forums though, management posting in forums is a minefield. That Jensen does it says more about him than about his job title. Most in his position wouldnt touch it with a 10 ft pole.

CEO of Zeiss Optics responds to our questions

Sorry guys, I didn't think about plant visits and such.
I have never made it to a British Bird Fair or visited the big four plants.
Reps show up at our big sporting/outdoor show but not CEO's as far as I know.
I haven't heard of a Nikon CEO addressing anyone but the stockholders outside of Japan.
Maybe the way to go is to attend stockholder meetings.
I could be wrong and usually am but at least I provide a different kind of entertainment.
I have learned something new today.
Art

I do believe he is correct about forums though, management posting in forums is a minefield. That Jensen does it says more about him than about his job title. Most in his position wouldnt touch it with a 10 ft pole.

Dead right PT. Jensen has a talent for it: answering what he can, gently explaining where the can't and all without accompanying BS.

Lee

I wonder the real impact of no fault warranty on cost. I have read that insiders say in the world of fly rod no fault warranties the impact is around a million dollars a year for some of the larger makers. I know Orvis dropped it to 25 years and it sounds like others may be comtemplating following suit. It has been batted around that dropping the no fault on a $800 fly rod would drop $200 off the cost.

Back in the 1980's I bought a Winston Graphite Fly Rod from a local dealer on the Upper Delaware River and registered it (it had a Serial Number) with Winston, a Montana company. I think I paid $450.00 for it. 2 or 3 years later, after Winston was purchased and under new management, I got a letter from them offering a "Lifetime" guarantee covering any damage to it with payment of $50.00.

It was an eye opener. I had other rods repaired by other companies in the past and unless the repair was very simple I always paid a fee for it.

Bob

Back in the 1980's I bought a Winston Graphite Fly Rod from a local dealer on the Upper Delaware River and registered it (it had a Serial Number) with Winston, a Montana company. I think I paid $450.00 for it. 2 or 3 years later, after Winston was purchased and under new management, I got a letter from them offering a "Lifetime" guarantee covering any damage to it with payment of $50.00.

It was an eye opener. I had other rods repaired by other companies in the past and unless the repair was very simple I always paid a fee for it.

Bob

$50 in the 80's would probably be close to $200 today. I really wish they would do the no fault similar to the Winston rod you bought. Offer it for those who wish to pay for it.

I wonder the real impact of no fault warranty on cost. I have read that insiders say in the world of fly rod no fault warranties the impact is around a million dollars a year for some of the larger makers. I know Orvis dropped it to 25 years and it sounds like others may be comtemplating following suit. It has been batted around that dropping the no fault on a $800 fly rod would drop $200 off the cost.

It's easy to measure the cost of having a no-fault warranty, but harder to measure the value of having satisfied customers.

HN

It's easy to measure the cost of having a no-fault warranty, but harder to measure the value of having satisfied customers.

HN

Maybe, I probably wouldnt bother with it if it was $200 more. Though in your case, it would have $200 well spent.

I still feel the customer should take some responsibilty for their actions

EtV

You would think so wouldn't you? But actually its not so simple.

How Zeiss has arrived at the quality that the Conquest line possesses at the retail price that it sells for, is not something Zeiss is going to explain in public so that the c,ompetition can do the same thing.

You wouldn't feed this information to your competitors and neither would I....

Lee

In other words, I know something I won't tell, I won't tell, I won't tell, I know something I won't tell, he-hehe-he

More like:

The big ship sails down the ally-ally-oh, the ally-ally-oh, the ally-ally-oh
On the last day of September

Go to: http://www.rhymes.org.uk/a122-the-big-ship-sails.htm

And its nothing to do with this thread, but then again I have no idea what you are on about either Brock. Go back to bed.

Lee

More like:

On the last day of September

Go to: http://www.rhymes.org.uk/a122-the-big-ship-sails.htm

And its nothing to do with this thread, but then again I have no idea what you are on about either Brock. Go back to bed.

Lee

Lee,

Don't waist your breath.

Jan

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back