• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New released Swaro CL Companion 8x30 B (2 Viewers)

Jan:

I recently have had the pleasure of using a Habicht 7x42, it is an
impressive binocular.

How do you like this one, I suppose you have tried it ?

Jerry

Jerry,

I am in the priviliged position to have them all.
A Nikon SE focusknob on the Habicht series would make it the perfect bin for me. Provided with an WA ocular and extended eyerelief would suit me even more.

Jan

Jerry,

A Nikon SE focusknob on the Habicht series would make it the perfect bin for me. Provided with an WA ocular and extended eyerelief would suit me even more.

Jan

Whether we shop at Old Navy or Nordstroms,the product isn't made to order, and there will often be some aspect which doesn't quite fit, or simply could be better. It seems it is easier to buy shoes that fit than binoculars. Even shoes will to some degree mold themselves to the user. Not so the binocular....

Maljunulo, post 65,
Urk is the name of a city/former island in The Netherlands, Maarssen is the city where House of Outdoor can be found, just in case you do not understand Jan's joke.
Gijs van Ginkel

Well I got the joke and must admit that it was probably the first time I laughed out loud when reading post's on the Birdforum! But then I'm a Brit who is has been living in Holland for the last 20 years, so maybe that has something to do with it!

On a more serious note, I'm really interested in how the new 8x30 CL performs. Thinking maybe about getting one of these or maybe the new 7x35 Trinovid (if it ever appears in the shops....)

Cheers
Gary

The only thing that disappoints me is why couldn't Swarovski pump the FOV on the new CL to about 420 feet. Same thing on the new Leica Trinovid 8x40. I don't care for 7x because I find it weak so I don't care for the 7x35 but the 8x40 Trinovid looks interesting but the FOV is only 400 feet. I really like binoculars in 8x in either 32mm or 42mm with a 420 to 460 foot FOV( 8 degree to 8.8 degree). Once you are used to the bigger FOV it is hard to go back to 400 feet.

Last edited:
I think I'm in the minority here ... I like the look of the old CL much better and I also don't like the thinner, longer barrels on this new version.

It has a sort of astronaut look.

I'm sure Swaro has improved the optics on the other hand.

Last edited:
I think I'm in the minority here ... I like the look of the old CL much better and I also don't like the thinner, longer barrels on this new version.

It has a sort of astronaut look.

I'm sure Swaro has improved the optics on the other hand.
I like the looks of the old model also. It was almost "cute". It was a better looking binocular than the new CL. The bridge was much sleeker and had better lines than the new CL. The new one looks kind of weird as if the bridge was an after thought , whereas,on the old CL it was more integrated into the design of the binocular. Also, as you say the thinner, longer tubes on the new CL makes it look less symmetrical than the old CL and not as compact which it isn't.

Attachments

• 22010502.P7.png
    22010502.P7.png
    125.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 21010504.P4.png
    21010504.P4.png
    274.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 21010504.P1.png
    21010504.P1.png
    218.1 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
I felt the same when I first saw it, but after having looked at it for a while I've come around to liking the appearance of the new one better. Ultimately, it will come down to how it feels in hand and I'll leave the eyes out of it 'cept for looking down the barrels..

CG

I felt the same when I first saw it, but after having looked at it for a while I've come around to liking the appearance of the new one better. Ultimately, it will come down to how it feels in hand and I'll leave the eyes out of it 'cept for looking down the barrels..

CG

Agreed.

CG
Your right. The ergonomics are more important than looks and the optics are even more important. But the appearance of it is important to. I still think the older CL looks better but if you want the advantages of the new one you are going to have tolerate the appearance. I would never buy the new Cabela's Euro HD. That thing is "Butt" ugly! That green color! EEEEgh!

Attachments

• EuroHD12x50_2017_2.jpg
    EuroHD12x50_2017_2.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
?......The ergonomics are more important than looks and the optics are even more important. ....

Are you sure ?
And I was hoping that finally, finally with this thread the focus was on the really important aspects of binocular optics.
I have been wondering for some time why all these reviews and comparitive tests are always focusing on subjects like field of view, chromatic aberration, sharpness and contrast, when the really significant issues - beyond any doubt - are shape, color and smell.
How can the look through a binocular be pleasing if the instrument has the wrong shape, color or flavor??

Are you sure ?
And I was hoping that finally, finally with this thread the focus was on the really important aspects of binocular optics.
I have been wondering for some time why all these reviews and comparitive tests are always focusing on subjects like field of view, chromatic aberration, sharpness and contrast, when the really significant issues - beyond any doubt - are shape, color and smell.
How can the look through a binocular be pleasing if the instrument has the wrong shape, color or flavor??
Flavor? I have never tried a sauteed binocular. I bet Swarovski's would be the most tender.:-O

Smelliest binoculars, my Fotons. Slowly getting better after 15 years. Perhaps O.K. in a century.

Smelliest camera. A Chinese monstrosity in an awful smelling leather case. I chucked both in the bin about 20 years ago.

Noisiest binocular or monocular. The Russian stabilized thing that takes about a minute or more for the giro/s to speed up to Warp Factor 9.
Also good candidate for ugliest.

Strangest bewitched camera. The Minolta Talking camera that started talking for no reason at night in a whisper. It took me a while to find where the ghost actually was. I couldn't silence it so it went in the bin also. The binmen must have wondered who was whispering for help maybe.

Tied with the Singing Fish that started to sing "Don't worry, be Happy" for no reason. Eddie Murphy's voice maybe.

Rubber manufacturers do put essences in to take away that horrible new rubber smell. Leica smell of vanilla.

My Meopta 8x42 (non-HD) smells of citrus. I emailed Meoptaa about them, and they said no, it is not meant to be part of the specs. Was worried that the scent will be bad news if out stalking. This smell was apparent in both pairs we bought, for me and a mate.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back