• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HBWAlive Key; mission accomplished or mission impossible? (1 Viewer)

Updated Summary, ver. 3.2

Guys, some ten days ago (sorry for the delay) I asked a Moderator to delete one of my earlier post (at that point #462; headed "Updated Summary, ver. 3.1"), as it was causing nothing but confusion (and some unwarranted work/posts). And the very same day, after only a few minutes (!), it was gone. [Thank you dear Moderator!]

Thereby, here's a new version, a new attempt, in my original intent with that certain (now deleted) misfit of a post, which simply was to gather together some of the most unknown names, as I had the idea that they possibly might, could be easier to solve, or find, if kept in clusters (as in, maybe one could find more than one of them, when digging into a/any certain Author, and his Life, work/s and context).

Thus, here we go again ... (this time with the single ones/names excluded. I cannot understand why I had them in the former List at all. Pretty hard to gather any single name!? Just trying to be clever, I assume. Or simply over-ambitious ;)).

However, below is an alternative List (of the same unexplained names, as listed/attached in post #461, though, gathered together (when applicable) by Authorship:

BOURCIER, J.
evelynae as in "Trochilus evelynæ" 1847
georginae as in "Trochilus georginæ" 1847

BOURCIER, J. & M. É. MULSANT (also compare with Mulsant, below)
alice as in "Trochilus alice" 1848
mariae as in "T. [Trochilus] Mariæ" 1846

HARTLAUB, G.
emmae as in "Pratincola emmae" 1890

HARTLAUB, G. & O. FINSCH
annae as in "Psamathia annæ" 1868 (also see the present #462)

HODGSON, B. H.
acormus as in "M. [Muscicapa] acormus" 1844
Bahila as in the generic name "Bahila" 1837
maronata as in "E. [Egretta] maronata" 1844
Merva as in the generic name "Merva" 1847

HORSFIELD, T.
Timalia as in the generic name "Timalia" 1821
urica as in "Merops Urica" 1822

KOELZ , W. N.
legerli as in "Harpactes fasciatus legerli" 1939
manis as in "Homochlamys fortipes manis" 1954
melittae as in "Aethopyga gouldiae melittae" 1954
tsipi as in "Dicrurus macrocercus tsipi" 1954

LESSON, R. P.
kuru as in "Picnonotus (Kuhl.) ..., kuru, ..." 1839
neera as in "O. [Ornysmia] neera" 1839
pseudogillia as in "Platyrhynchus pseudogillia" 1839
sungu as in "Picnonotus sungu" 1839

LICHTENSTEIN, M. H. C.
impipi as in "Heliornis impipi" 1854
licua as in "Strix Licua" 1842

LINNAEUS, C. [Carl von Linné]
cela as in "[Parus] Cela" 1758
melba as in "[Fringilla] Melba" 1758
melba as in "[Hirundo] Melba" 1758
tiphia as in "[Motacilla] Tiphia" 1758
tatao as in "[Tanagra] Tatao" 1766
velia as in "[Motacilla] Velia" 1758

MULSANT, M. É., J. VERREAUX & E. VERREAUX
elvirae as in "[Zephyritis] Elviræ" 1866
Osalia as in the "S-.g." (sub-genus?) Osalia 1866

OBERHOLSER, H. C.
almae as in "Hylocichla ustulata almæ" 1898
danisa as in "Sicalis pelzelni danisa" 1931

REICHENBACH, L.
Bathilda as in the generic name "Bathilda" 1862
Eparnetes as in the generic name "Eparnetes" 1850

SALVADORI, T, & L. M. d'ALBERTIS
margarithae as in "Chalcophaps margarithae" 1875
evangelinae as in "Neochima evangelinae" 1879

SHARPE, R. B.
luciae as in "Scops luciæ" 1888
woodi as in "Mixornis Woodi" 1877

SMITH, A.
cherina as in "Drymoica cherina" 1843
codea as in "Alauda codea" 1843

SYKES, W. H.
akool as in "Rallus Akool" 1832
taigoor as in "Hemipodius Taigoor" 1832

TEMMINCK, C. J.
Anerpous as in the generic name "Anerpous" 1821
denisea as in "Columba denisea" 1830

WOLTERS, H. E.
Dorisella as in the generic name "Dorisella" 1980
Dorisornis as in the generic name "Dorisornis" 1980
dorotheae as in "Planesticus lherminieri dorotheae" 1980
magdalenae as in "Carduelis mozambica magdalenae" 1949
Rauenia as in "Rauenia gen. nov." 1980

That's them. That's all!

And Good luck, to anyone giving it a go.

/B

PS. For details and links, on either one, and their entries in the now (sadly) defunct HBW Alive Key (per 9th of May); see the the attached PDF in post #461.

Last edited:
Osalia Mulsant and Verreaux I believe is a misprint of Rosalia. In 1846 Boucier and Mulsant named O. rosae for Claudine Rosalie (Rose) Duquaire .
The types of Osalia were O. jourdanii and O. rosae.
Claudine-Rosalie Duquaire was the sister of Mulsant

Last edited:
WOLTERS, H. E.
• Dorisella as in the generic name "Dorisella" 1980
• Dorisornis as in the generic name "Dorisornis" 1980
• dorotheae as in "Planesticus lherminieri dorotheae" 1980
• magdalenae as in "Carduelis mozambica magdalenae" 1949
• Rauenia as in "Rauenia gen. nov." 1980
As the first four names are from female first names I am suggesting Rauenia might be named for a female Wolters knew or was aware of possibly Rowena Ravenscroft?

Bjorn, You had suggested previously

HARTLAUB, G.
• emmae as in "Pratincola emmae" 1890

Perhaps in honour of Hartlaubs daughter:

Emma Emilie Hartlaub (1860-

However you questioned her existance - I can confirm she existed:

Ancestry.com. Germany, Select Births and Baptisms, 1558-1898 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2014. indicates that she was a legitimate daughter.

I can't find a decease date but I assume once her married name is found it should be straightforward.

Also all seem to agree that

Bathilda Aloise Leonie, Comtesse de Cambaceres (1840-1861) wife of Louis Joseph Napoleon Cambacéres is the honouree in the name Bathilda so unsure why this is a query.

P

Last edited:
Regarding Rallus akool Sykes, 1832.

Here is a suggestion from:

A Dictionary of Urdu, Classical Hindi and English (1884) by John T.Platts (here):

اکول akool or akūl (a glutton).

said here to be a word of Arabic origin no longer in use.

(the use of oo or ū seems to be a generational issue with regards to transcribing Urdu)

P

Maybe a help to find her. Her mother was Caroline Marie Henriette née Strachow (1824-1900). They married 9. June 1844 in Bremen. A brother was Clemens Hartlaub (18. February 1858-4. February 1928). Another one was Carl.

And as you wrote similar information here on Geni. As well Gedbas is no help to solve the question.

It might make sense to look for "Bremische Biographie des 19. Jahunderts. Bremen. 1912, pp. 202-206)

Last edited:
Wolters X 5

As the first four names are from female first names I am suggesting Rauenia might be named for a female Wolters knew or was aware of ...
Mark, I wouldn't pay much attention to the fact that there are more female names left all unexplained (such is often the case), and I certainly wouldn't incl. the dedicatee behind Rauenia among the girls/ladies based only on this observation. Remember that Wolters coined loads of names (that we've managed to understand or/and explain), with a multitude of origins (not only eponyms, and certainly not only female ones). By the same logic, if we hadn't managed to find (and solve), for example/s Vauriella and Boetticherella, Mr Vaurie and Mr Boetticher would have ended up among the ladies. ;)

This far, I'd look for a colleauge, a friend, a mentor, sponsor, artist, etc., by the name Rau, Raue, Rauen, or similar, like either one of the guys suggested in the dear old HBW (no longer) Alive Key (see the attached PDF in post 461, with the entries per 9th of May), or someone like; "... Ministerpräsident von Nordrhein-Westfalen, Johannes Rau", mentioned here ... alt. someone comletely different. Who knows?

It ought to be someone that somehow had some sort of connection to, or had some kind of influence (earlier or contemporary) on Wolters (in or pre-1980). That is, of course, if it's an Eponym at all?!

Keep digging!

/B
--

Last edited:
Bjorn, You had suggested previously

HARTLAUB, G.
• emmae as in "Pratincola emmae" 1890

Ancestry.com. Germany, Select Births and Baptisms, 1558-1898 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2014. indicates that she was a legitimate daughter.

I can't find a decease date but I assume once her married name is found it should be straightforward.

Also all seem to agree that

Bathilda Aloise Leonie, Comtesse de Cambaceres (1840-1861) wife of Louis Joseph Napoleon Cambacéres is the honouree in the name Bathilda so unsure why this is a query.

P
Paul, re. Emma Hartlaub see post 241 (and #242). I didn't really "questioned her existance" (I'd seen her mentioned/listed earlier, like here or here), I was more puzzled of why she wasn't mentioned in Hartlaub's entry in Deutsche Biographie (as in, without a Death year, she could have died as an infant, way before 1890, when the emmae Bird was described). However, if she was still around, she could certainly be a (highly likely) candidate.

But remember that some (few) genealogist (far from all!), on either Ancestry, Geni, MyHeritage, etc., etc. [like some (ditto) 'Wikipedians' on Wiki] aren't very careful with the truth, at times adding an odd wrong person, and/or erroneous years (as we've seen countless times).

For the entry/entries of emmae and Bathilda in the (now defunct) HBW Alive Key (per 9th of May) see the attached PDF in #461. This far, without any dedications, or any other dead-certain links/connections to the bird/s in question, I think James is doing the right thing in being a bit vague, using phrases like "perphaps after ..." alt. "probably after ... ", and as such, they are each still "a query".

Keep up the Good work!

/B
--

Last edited:
Here p. 497

Do we know which daughter accompanied him to Italy in 1878?

Eine zweite Reise nach Italien unternahm er 1878 in Begleitung einer Tochter.

Maybe Emma shared his passion for birds? Or here as:

Ein zweites Mal besuchte er 1878 mit seiner Tochter Italien, von Ravenna, Pisa, Perugia wieder bis nach Neapel.

Here p. 176 as well small pieces of his family (but no Emma).

Last edited:
Rauenia.
Bjorn, your casual mention of President Johannes Rau, with the attachment from the Bonner Zool. Beitr., has hit the nail on the head. In my Key MS I have, after due consideration, scrapped all the other possibles and replaced them with, "Johannes Rau (1931-2006) German politician, Minister-President of North Rhine-Westphalia 1978-1998, President of Germany 1999-2004."
I also note from my records that not only did you provide a copy of the OD, but you have now provided the etymology. Many thanks.

Last edited:
Hurray Björn and James. This seems right. And it seems more important since it will not be some dusty name on the nomenclature shelves of a closet but may be used by everyone.
From NACC 2020 B-3 a rewrite of SACC Proposal 825
Transfer White-shouldered Tanager Tachyphonus luctuosus to the genus Loriotus. [ Piacentini, Vítor Q., Unitt, Philip & Burns, Kevin J., 2019]
Comments from Areta: “YES, based on the principle of priority. It remains to be seen what SACC will do with Rauenia (for “Pipraeidea” bonariensis). I would certainly endorse Rauenia for it.”
Edward Dickinson states “[Wolters, 1980 #4263] placed this species in a new genus Rauenia; which be appropriate.” True dat it be!
H&M4 Checklist Family by Family 2020.

Salvidori evangelinae as in "Neochima evangelinae" 1879. Salvadori's mother was Ethelyn Welby, who was English. I am sure he was aware of the poem by Longfellow Evangeline about the Acadian beauty (1847) . At the beginning of the poen the women of the town are described: Matrons and maidens sat in snow-white caps and in kirtles Scarlet and blue . The brd is beautiful and has scarlet but no snow cap. Just a guess.

Sharpe woodi as in "Mixornis Woodi" 1877.
This is from a bird collected by Prof. J. B. Steere in the Philipines from 1874-75. A Norman Wood was hired by Michigan University as a taxidermist in 1895. Steere worked at Michigan and I thought perhaps Wood had worked with him in the Philipines ??

REICHENBACH, L.
• Bathilda as in the generic name "Bathilda" 1862
No idea but as to importance this genus was taken off the shelf and reactivated by an article published this year:A comprehensive phylogeny and taxonomic evaluation of the waxbills. " Neochmia ruficauda to the genus Bathilda Reichenbach, 1862–63.
That article describes Wolters 1949 as Beiträge zur Gattungssystematik der Finkenvögel. Beitr. z. Gattungs- systematik d. Vögel, 1 (1949), pp. 3-17.

Last edited:
luciae.
Well done, Mark. I amended the Key MS entry yesterday, and it now reads, " • Lucy Ashton Boosey née Whitehead (1866-1941) sister of explorer John Whitehead and wife of music publisher Arthur Boosey (Mark Brown in litt.) (subsp. Otus spilocephalus)." I also took the opportunity to amend the jefferyi entry (John's father).
I am not sure about evangelinae and woodi however. Salvadori was not subject to the flights of fancy mooted in your evangelinae, and your Wood date seems rather late.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back