• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (2 Viewers)

A few images from S'Armarador yesterday

Attachments

• Black-winged Stilt_6418.jpg
    Black-winged Stilt_6418.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Kestrel_6221.jpg
    Kestrel_6221.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Marsh Harrier_6554.jpg
    Marsh Harrier_6554.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 48
  • White Wagtail_6483.jpg
    White Wagtail_6483.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Wood Sandpiper_6388.jpg
    Wood Sandpiper_6388.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 54
Great photos Clive.
A trip to the same place for me tonight frustratingly saw a crake fly up from the footpath as I turned the corner, I don’t know what it was but it looked good.
Disappointingly, nearly all the Starlings have departed.
Nice views of Moustached Warbler, Tree sparrow and Kevin saw the Waxbills. Green Sandpiper, Water pipit and loads of Marsh Harrier.
Two Common Crane flew over on the way home near Can Picafort.
Good to see you again Kevin.
Mike

Morning walk around la Gola, 8.45 - 9.30, produced Black headed gull, Yellow legged gull, Mallard, Moorhen, Little egret, Cattle egret, Grey heron, Fan tailed warbler, Sardinian warbler, Chiffchaff, Blackcap, Great tit, Wood pigeon, Collared dove, Cormorant, Common Snipe, Common sandpiper, Blackbird, Starling, House sparrow, Robin, Black redstart, Kingfisher, Stonechat, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Meadow pipit and Hoopoe.

The link to the Balearic Bird Report for 2017 published by GOB has arrived!! I've only had time for a brief look so far but what a fantastic publication. At 230 pages it includes rarities reports, a full listing of what has been seen where and when together with some beautiful photographs. It also has some interesting other bird related articles and a record of cetaceans seen around the Mediterranean. If you haven't done so yet please consider making a donation to this worthwhile organisation and obtaining your own copy. Type GOB Bird Report 2017 into google and make €5 donation. That's my Christmas reading sorted out while I plan next years visits Many thanks to Steve Nicoll and Mike Montier for getting this to me.
David

The 2017 report is another quality publication.
Appreciate the time & effort that everyone puts into it.
Make a £10 paypal donation every month, but there didn't seem to be an easy way to become an actual member, or did i miss something on the website.

Hi, I saw this duck at Bassa de Son Guidet last Wednesday. Can anyone help with identification? It was on its own away from the other ducks.

Attachments

• maj Dec 2018 117.jpg
    maj Dec 2018 117.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 73
  • maj Dec 2018 116.jpg
    maj Dec 2018 116.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 49
  • maj Dec 2018 104.jpg
    maj Dec 2018 104.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 46
Jaja, I left it open because it looked like a Pochard to me but I’ve never seen one with a raised tail like that.
Thanks Maties, we had better keep looking then...
Mike

A really nice walk up to the Castillo de Santueri, Felanitx, in glorious weather. At least twenty Crag Martins engaged in aerobatics, no doubt pairing up for spring. Great to watch at very close range but getting photos is another matter.
Also Blue Rock thrush and a few Booted eagles including one very dark individual.
Back to the UK in a few days where it may not be quite so sunny.
Mike

Last edited:
A quick drive around the back of the salt pans revealed 60 Common Crane feeding in the fields so they are still in the area for now.
Back to the UK tomorrow but at least I am going to Leighton Moss on the 27th.
It would be nice to see you there Kevin, or anyone else, if you can make it, late morning though, I have to visit the mother-in-law first. When I first met her 50 years ago I said she would get to 100 and it looks like I was right.
Mike

Back to the UK tomorrow but at least I am going to Leighton Moss on the 27th.

Have a safe journey and a really good Christmas Mike, and thanks for keeping the forum going for another year - and for everything you do for us visiting birders. It’s a brilliant resource.

Looking forward to getting together again on the Island in January.

Cheers!

Stew

Thank you Stew, it’s a great pleasure keeping the Mallorca thread as up-to-date as I can. I have grown to love the Island more and more with each passing year, there are some brilliant places to go birding.
I have met many visiting birders and all have been great fun to be out in the field with. This makes the task of keeping the information going so worthwhile. I have also learnt a lot from all visitors which in turn has enriched my birding experiences.
Happy Christmas to all and I look forward to meeting many of you again in the coming year.
Ps it’s flaming cold here in Yorkshire, I have definitely gone soft since living in the sun.
All the best, Mike

Ps it’s flaming cold here in Yorkshire, I have definitely gone soft since living in the sun.
All the best, Mike

Cold In Yorkshire ? You're lucky you're not In Jane's native land. ;)
As previously mentioned,thanks for all your help with what's happening In Mallorca,It Is greatly appreciated by us UK based birders.

Have a great Christmas and a Happy,Healthy 2019 and I look forward to hopefully meeting up next July again,Mike.

Statistics are in for the autumn migration watch at the Cap de Ses Salines:

Way out in front was the Booted Eagle with 222 examples all leaving the Island for Africa.
In second place was the Common Kestrel with 95 examples observed.
Honey Buzzard, which seems to be everyone’s favourite migrant, came third with 62 individuals, way down on the norm sadly. This amazing raptor sometimes flies in very low and gives us all a treat. We jump for joy when this species comes into view, a response quite unlike any other. The variation in plumage is noteworthy, no two ever seem to look the same.
Black Kite took fourth place with 48 examples.
29 Hobby were counted, they often flash through really fast but are still a joy to watch.
3 Black Stork and a Short-toed snake eagle complete the list.
I was lucky enough to be present at the Cap for many days this autumn and I found it very addictive. It was hard to miss a day for fear of missing something. That’s birding I guess.
Thank you Lalo for keeping the records. Every year just seems to be better.
See you all at the Albercutx tower in the spring.
Mike

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back