• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best chance to see Cirl Bunting in Devon (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

Dear colleagues
I have a chance to visit Devon briefly soon, and understand this is the best place to see the Cirl Bunting.
The Cirl Bunting would be a lifer.
I would like to visit the place or places which would afford ideally a certainty of sighting one (preferably the male)
Please can anyone advise as to the recommended location for certain Cirl Bunting in June

Dear colleagues
I have a chance to visit Devon briefly soon, and understand this is the best place to see the Cirl Bunting.
The Cirl Bunting would be a lifer.
I would like to visit the place or places which would afford ideally a certainty of sighting one (preferably the male)
Please can anyone advise as to the recommended location for certain Cirl Bunting in June

Labrador Bay RSPB for my money.

John

Hi Kasfig. I posted a similar question earlier in the year. Broadsands car park was the alternative recommendation John and others made and this is where we easily saw them. Not sure about June though. Plus the consensus seemed to be that Labrador Bay was the aesthetically more pleasing place to see them.

Rich

Labrador bay for me also.

Another good spot is the RSPB reserve at Exmouth. They maintain a feeding station there but it is a bit of a trek. I have seen them from the car park at Labrador.

Hi Kasfig. I posted a similar question earlier in the year. Broadsands car park was the alternative recommendation John and others made and this is where we easily saw them. Not sure about June though. Plus the consensus seemed to be that Labrador Bay was the aesthetically more pleasing place to see them.

Rich

Well summed up. In winter I'd definitely say Broadsands but in summer I think Labrador Bay is the place.

John

Dear colleagues
Thank you so much for your input.
In conclusion it would appear my best approach for a summer visit is
1. Labrador Bay, Torbay
2. Broadsands
3. RSBP Exmouth

Thank you so much and best wishes

Labrador Bay, yes. Broadsands, no (wrong season). Good alternatives are in the far south of the county: I can PM if you want.

P.S. I have no idea what is meant by "RSPB Exmouth" but Cirls are very rare east of the Exe.

Labrador Bay, yes. Broadsands, no (wrong season). Good alternatives are in the far south of the county: I can PM if you want.

P.S. I have no idea what is meant by "RSPB Exmouth" but Cirls are very rare east of the Exe.

Sorry meant RSPB Exminster. There is afeeding station and viewpoint there. Seen them there in late may

Dear colleagues
1. Labrador Bay, Torbay
2. Broadsands
3. RSBP Exmouth

Just a quick mention of Prawle Point, Devon. Saw about 20 really easily last August, including several males still singing.

Dear colleagues
1. Labrador Bay, Torbay
2. Broadsands
3. RSBP Exmouth

I think you mean Powderham Marsh RSPB at Exminster not Exmouth. Park behind the Swan's Nest Hotel and follow the footpath which zig zags up to the viweing platform. The feeders are along the bottom hedge. It's about a 10 minute walk. Roger

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back