• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible Hybrid - Canada (1 Viewer)

snowyowl

These two RBGR visited my feeders during the last two days. I suspect that the one with the orange breast markings may be a hybrid. Sibley's shows something somewhat similar and calls it a hybrid Black-headedxRose-breasted Grosbeak. I would be very interested to hear what other people think.

Attachments

• RBGR_19-05-16__MG_5702.1..JPG
    RBGR_19-05-16__MG_5702.1..JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 35
  • RBGR_19-05-21__MG_5802.1..JPG
    RBGR_19-05-21__MG_5802.1..JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 23
Very interesting! Hybrids definitely do occur.

However, besides breast color this looks like a normal adult RB Grosbeak to me. I wonder if this is like the sometimes-reported "orange variant" Scarlet Tanagers, though I've never heard of that happening with Rose-breasted Grosbeaks.

very interested to hear what others think.

I thought I had posted a question: what is the size of the orange area compared to the size of the rosy area on a normal bird? It looks large?

Niels

besides breast color this looks like a normal adult RB Grosbeak to me..

Agree with this. Completely normal nape color, vent color, beak color, etc. Even the breast color lacks any cinnamon-brownish tones that would point toward BH Grb.

Sibley's illustration of a hybrid shows a "messier" color on flanks, belly, collar, nape, supercilium, and a darker bill. Online photos of hybrids all show similar irregularities in varying degrees.

I think a pigment deficiency (single point mutation? deletion? nutritional causes?) is a more likely explanation in this case.

Xanthochroism is a condition where individual birds of a given species may have yellowish or orange plumage instead of red. This may be caused by a genetic variation or by diet. I believe that this is what we are seeing here.

Good to read all the opinions. I'll file this away as a normal variation caused by one of the various reasons given. Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back