• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I've moved a Birdbox with baby birds - (1 Viewer)

I moved into a property in September which has a doggy day care centre attached.
I discovered a bird box in the tree on the patio where there are lots of dogs playing every day. I checked in the box and there were baby birds that would not stand a chance with all the dogs waiting for them when they leave the nest!
I moved the box about 3 meters away just the other side of a picket fence where the dogs can't get to ... but now the mum and dad have disappeared.

I'm very worried I have done the wrong thing, please don't give me hate as I was doing it with compassion for the birds.
Does anybody have any advise ... should I move it back? The trouble is that the dogs will get the babies for sure and as its a business there is no way around this in their original location.

Moved about 3 hours ago and struggling to get to sleep now :-(

Thank you in advance for anybody that can offer help or advice

Hi Teddy and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum.

I would definitely move the nest box back to where it was as soon as possible. Like now.
Perhaps tomorrow you could get some wire netting and put it around the tree giving about 4 or 5 feet in front of the bird box. This way when they fledge hopefully they will stay within the netted area and the parents can continue to feed them until they can fly. Just a lame suggestion but that's what I would do.

Thank you for your reply, so do you not think the parents will hear the baby’s calling and find them? Its almost midnight here in UK now but if I have to go out there with a torch and move it back I will

At this time of year (breeding season) there are a lot of baby birds calling so I couldn't count on that. I realize it's late but I believe I would do anything to try to ensure that the parents would be back in the morning and hopefully reclaim the box. Others may disagree with my hopes but like I said, I would at least try to make things right.

Others may disagree with your hopes of them coming back in the morning?
I’ve just been out there with torch and moved it back. I’m praying that they will come back but so worried as they’ve been nowhere to be seen all evening ����

Good luck Teddybearshouse, please let us know what happens.

Others may disagree with your hopes of them coming back in the morning?
I’ve just been out there with torch and moved it back. I’m praying that they will come back but so worried as they’ve been nowhere to be seen all evening ����

Worse thing you could have done, doubt the parents will feed them again but I hope they do.

Good luck Teddybearshouse, please let us know what happens.

Thank you Delia & Foggin for being there for me last night and giving great advice. I moved the nest back at midnight and pleased to let you know this morning the parents are back, happily chirping away and feeding their babies. Thank you again, it may have been a different story without your advice x

WOW!!! Excellent news Teddybearshouse!

Thanks so much for letting us know too. Now to try and keep them safe when they fledge!

Just thinking.... you don't say what species they are (at least I can't immediately see it).

Some birds, like Blue Tits, don't usually go to the ground but try and find some shrubbery to sit in while the get fed. Blackbirds and Thrushes will go to the ground more often.

Thank you Andy for your very pointless and unhelpful reply. It wasn’t needed as others have given better support thank you.

It wasn't pointless or unhelpful, most people know not to disturb a nest never mind move it.

If you were that bothered, you should have sought advice before you did it because you actually broke the law by interfering with the nest.

Just thinking.... you don't say what species they are (at least I can't immediately see it).

Some birds, like Blue Tits, don't usually go to the ground but try and find some shrubbery to sit in while the get fed. Blackbirds and Thrushes will go to the ground more often.

This is my first ever bird experience, as you probably guessed, so not familiar with the species, I’m trying to work out how to post a picture for you that I snapped of the mum.

Great information that some don’t go to the ground, I will research this more 😊

Presumably Blue or Great Tits if in a nestbox with a small hole in front?

Do the dogs go in the evening?? If so good chance the birds can be (safely) ushered to other nearby safety/cover if so (or just remove the netting when dogs not there.)

Good result so far in the circumstances.

This is my first ever bird experience, as you probably guessed, so not familiar with the species, I’m trying to work out how to post a picture for you that I snapped of the mum.

Great information that some don’t go to the ground, I will research this more 😊

To upload your pictures, first make sure they're no more than 1600 pixels on the longest side (I usually do 900 px though, as that fits on my laptop screen;)). Save a copy to your desktop. This is for jpgs, it varies for other formats, which are shown on the pop-up screen.

To upload the pictures in a thread, make sure you're in an advanced posting mode, either by starting a new thread, or by clicking on Post Reply (if you're in Quick Reply, click on Go Advanced).

After you've typed your comment, scroll down below the message pane and you will see a grey Manage Attachments button.

Click on that and then Browse for your first picture and double click on it. Click on Upload and wait a few seconds until you see the filename appear in the box.

You can do this 4 more times for each post (the maximum is 5 pictures per post, but there is no limit in the thread).

Close the box.

You can check the pictures are there if you click on Preview.

When you submit your post the pictures should appear at the bottom.

Do come back if you need more assistance.

I wonder if you can tell from this picture?

The doggies do come in at night time so perhaps I can remove the netting in the night and hopefully save some birds! :)

Attachments

• IMG_1177.jpg
    IMG_1177.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 27
Oh yes, well done.

That's a Blue Tit, so they should try and get to a bush or tree. Would the nearest one be very far from the nest hole?

Yes, well they should.

Birds do select nesting spots taking into account they direction the sun is coming from, so the box won't overheat etc. Also that they have some cover nearby to land on so they can check all is safe before they take food in. They also need to be sure there is somewhere their bairns can go to safely when they fledge.

You wouldn't think all that was possible in such a small bird, would you?

You could help them perhaps, by providing some meal worms, this would give the parents some easy to find food for both themselves and the nestlings. Remember they wont feed on the ground.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back