• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (9 Viewers)

Grasshopper Warbler still reeling at the North Moors as per David Jackson

2 Med Gulls (adult female and second summer male) at the Flashes as per Andy A and Brian Stretch

Last edited:
a few hours today

saw the gropper not close and in shade, then a bit of bug hunting.

Attachments

• _DSC9914.jpg
    _DSC9914.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 59
  • _DSC9915.jpg
    _DSC9915.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 47
  • _DSC9994.jpg
    _DSC9994.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 45
  • _DSC9998.JPG
    _DSC9998.JPG
    898.6 KB · Views: 52
  • _DSC0021.jpg
    _DSC0021.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 44
At the Flashes this morning John reports:

Avocet 36 adults +3 young, Lapwing 15, Oystercatcher 2, Little Ringed Plover 4, Med Gull 2 (second summer and adult), Shelduck 6, Swift 5

Med Gull also reported at the Moors Pool

In a final act of defiance I would like to try and save what we can from the disastrous wader breeding season before the Fox/es completely ruin it.
So we plan to repair the secondary fence line to the right of the Avocet hide.
The work will take place from 9am and hopefully in and out in 45 minutes The only remaining Avocet chicks will swim to the sewage works bay . So we have nothing to lose as we currently have NO Avocets sitting.
Please meet at the Avocet hide 9ish.
Cheers John
Sorry for any inconvenience but it is a matter of urgency now

Today the work party crew repaired 6 holes in the secondary FOX fence right of the Avocet hide. The gate was sealed and another hole was found to the left of the hide. This area is the inner sanctum and where many of the waders try to breed and raise their young. It's too late for some species but hopefully there is enough time for second attempts.
The broken window latch was also repaired so it's now safe to open the front right side end window.
At the Moors more strimming along tracks and causeway road. Also there we removed vegetation from around half of the Hawthorn saplings that form the new NE hedgerow. Next week we will clear the rest in front of Lifestyles to the East gate.
Thanks to Bob O. Bob R. Jim B. Julie W. Kim W. Paul M and me.:t: john

Last edited:
Flashes this amDavid

Before the work party.. I birders from 6.15am.
A bit of migration involved more teal. Yesterday a curlew was seen by David Jackson.
Four shelduck perched on the roof of the small barn at Sagebury farm. The last time I saw this chicks appeared a few days later..so maybe again. Talking to the local gamekeeper some time ago he told me that shelduck regularly attempt to breed by the farm buildings.
The Avocets are still present so hopefully they will attempt to breed again. Several reed warblers were feeding young in all reed beds.

Species count FLASHES:-
Teal 9. Gadwall 4. Shoveler pr. Shelduck 6. Tufted 20.
Coot 2 broods.
Avocet 36 +3 chicks now able to fly at 31 days. LRP 4 . Lapwing 15. Oystercatcher 2.
Med Gull 2 ( 2nd summer + adult). BHG c300 chicks many flying.
Swift 10. House Martin 20 feeding low over the FLASHES.
Cetti's w. Reed w c10. Sedge w. Blackcap 2. Whitethroat. Lesser whitethroat. Chiffchaff.
Linnet 5. Reed Bunting 4.

Sailing pool: GCG 2 pairs +chick. Common tern

NORTH MOORS: Little grebe ad +Only 1 chick. Cootv2 broods. GRASSHOPPER WARBLER still singing in NE corner. Cetti's w. Reed w feeding young next to hide. Whitethroat. Blackcap. Chiffchaff.
Treecreeper. Reed Bunting 2.

MOORS:-
GCG. Little grebe 6 no young seen.
Shoveler pair. Shelduck 2. Gadwall 8. .
Tufted c70. Pochard 2 males.
Avocet 18. Lapwing 10. Oystercatcher 2+chick.
Common Tern.
Coot 4 broods.
Swift 5.
Sedge w East gate. Reed w 5 East side.
Bullfinch.

This year's breeding has been a bumper year for passerines especially all three tits and garden birds. Warblers also seem to be doing well.

Also many thanks to Sue and Andy G for their kind donation to the feeding station fund.:t: john

The adult and the second summer Mediterranean Gull were seen on the Moors this morning. The second summer was seen on the Sailing Pool late afternoon before returning to the Moors in the early evening. The Adult came into the Flashes around 18.30 where it joined the second summer Little Gull which arrived on the Flashes around 17.30. The Little Gull carrying a leg injury found it difficult to stand. The Hybrid Black-headed/ Med Gull is still sitting on a nest on the small raft viewable from the middle flashes hide.

Flashes
Avocets 33 Adults and 3 young early evening: those present on the Moors earlier in the day having apparently returned to the Flashes
LRP 2; Lapwing 28; Teal 14m 5f; Gadwall 7; Shelduck 6; Oystercatcher 2; Lesser Whitethroat singing; 10+ Rooks in Poplars

Sailing Pool
Wigeon Male in far right corner; 2 Common Tern one settled mostly on the large raft, Reed Warbler 2 singing

Upton Moors, this evening
No reports of Grasshopper Warbler today; Cettis warbler 1 singing; 5 Oystercatcher 2 Ad and 1 young, 1 Ad and 1 young;Tufted Duck only 38 counted;Female Mallards with broods of 6, 7 and 8 the seven the most advanced the others recently hatched; No broods of Tufties yet; Gadwall 3 (making a total of 10 on the reserve today);Little Grebe 5; Jay and Mistle Thrush.

Grey Heron with fish on Moors pool from New hide

Attachments

• Grey Heron - Ardea cinerea A 2J4A5905.jpg
    Grey Heron - Ardea cinerea A 2J4A5905.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Grey Heron - Ardea cinerea A 2J4A5957.jpg
    Grey Heron - Ardea cinerea A 2J4A5957.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
From the Flashes early morning Andy A reports:

5 Shelduck, 4 Little Ringed Plover, 30 adult + 3 young Avocet, 10 Teal, 2 Med Gull and the first Green Sandpiper on return passage!

Sick Woodpecker

I know some people get very angry when I post non UW questions, but I am going to ask anyway.

For the last 24 hours I have had a very sick woodpecker in my garden, it doesn't appear to be injured Most of the time it just sits on the ground, head hanging down. Occasional little flutter. I didn't expect to survive the night, but it is still there - looking very poorly.

What should I do - is there anyone with the knowledge to care for it ?

Attachments

• IMG_9142_2018~0002.jpg
    IMG_9142_2018~0002.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 80
I know some people get very angry when I post non UW questions, but I am going to ask anyway.

For the last 24 hours I have had a very sick woodpecker in my garden, it doesn't appear to be injured Most of the time it just sits on the ground, head hanging down. Occasional little flutter. I didn't expect to survive the night, but it is still there - looking very poorly.

I agree with Mike - try phoning The Vale Wildlife Hospital for advice on 01386 882288, they are open 24 hours a day. I hope you can get help for it as it looks in a bad way and it's only a youngster :(

Ian I have taken a few sick injured birds Vale rescue centre..if anything can be done for it they will do it 👍👍 john

Thanks to all for their advice about the Vale Wildlife Hospital.
Sadly, the issue was resolved yesterday evening by a neighborhood cat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back