• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (3 Viewers)

Had an outstanding four additions this morning after a tremendous overnight flight.

#113. Rose-breasted Grosbeak
#114. Purple Finch
#115. Dickcissel (county lifer, not just yard!)
#116. Red-breasted Nuthatch

A distinctly northern flavor in what could be a nice irruption year for various species. Dickcissel was fantastic for me, a quick flyover but with a very distinctive call. I almost added Worm-eating Warbler (would have been a new yard bird), as a large brownish warbler with a strange call zipped by. I never did get a good enough look. There's really no Worm-eating habitat here, so it would have been great. Even without it, a fantastic morning for sure!

Some terrific stuff above, well done on the 100 Kevin and BM and Wari on the garden ticks. Found another Tree Pipit on my walk this am., this one about 800m from home, when is one going to fly over I wonder (with increasing stress)?. Did a good 2 hours vis migging later on, one Honey Buzzard the grand total :C. Still, c20 Griffon Vulture, one or two Lammergeier, a Peregrine and half a dozen Nutcracker to-ing and fro-ing kept me entertained.

Finally another tick. And a garden lifer. Was sitting in the hot tub reading The Peregrine (sacrilege to say but I’m finding it a bit of a chore) when a flock of Linnets landed on the conifers.

54. Linnet

Didn’t realise Ken was Welsh as well. :-O

Can’t claim any Welsh blood Rich (certainly not knowingly) however, I’d be proud to have some, what with Rourke’s Drift, Tommy Farr and Shirley Bassey not to mention Moussier’s Redstart amongst others....:t:

I got a few more to add to the list.
102 Upland Sandpiper.
103 Eastern Kingbird.
104 Nashville Warbler.
105 Baltimore Oriole.
106 Snowy Egret.

I just came out of the sauna - but the pants on 8-P - when I heard the crows shouting in haste. There was a female
#82. Marsh Harrier on the sky. Last seen from garden 2017.

Hot tubs and saunas, I don’t know :eek!: , the only thing getting me ‘steamed up’ is my continuing failure to spot/hear a Tree Pipit, still missing from this year’s tally!

The late August storms here in Norfolk helped with several snipe and a wood sandpiper over the sea and a juvenile long-tailed skua arced past on the 30th. September has been pretty slow but vismig numbers are picking up with plenty of mipits and siskins moving south and a wee flock of 4 tree sparrows joined them on the 5th. A garden warbler in the garden on the 8th was more expected but they have been a bit thin on the ground this year, especially in spring.

164 Common Snipe
165 Wood Sandpiper
166 Long-tailed Jaeger
167 Eurasian Tree Sparrow
168 Garden Warbler

168 Ryan? Exactly double my total so far (until this evening at least).
Our wedding anniversary so I cooked a meal for the long suffering Mrs P, we ate outside on this nice warm evening and to show how romantic I am I didn’t look through the telescope (handily placed next to the table) until dessert:t:
The reward for my culinary labours ( my wife’s words not mine!):

85 Marsh Harrier

A female powering south, makes up for yet again missing Tree Pipit for the garden list, this morning one was in a tree by the road just 25m from the house as I walked to the village:eek!: Found a Grasshopper Warbler on my walk too, so potential additions lurking...

Been my best ever year on my plot, pity I didn't participate in this thread this year 🙂

Next time it rains you could sit down and do a resumé Jos! Hope you're on the mend:t:.

Dawn vigil paid off for me just now with two

86 Tree Pipit

About time too, I can get the porridge underway now!

September 11th must be International Tree Pipit Day........

76. Tree Pipit - one south was my first bird of the day: hadn't even sat down. Did have my trousers on though.

And those with a good memory might remember this makes 99 for my garden life-list.

Congratulations on your two Richard - and your anniversary too.

Steve

168 Ryan? Exactly double my total so far (until this evening at least).
Our wedding anniversary so I cooked a meal for the long suffering Mrs P, we ate outside on this nice warm evening and to show how romantic I am I didn’t look through the telescope (handily placed next to the table) until dessert:t:
The reward for my culinary labours ( my wife’s words not mine!):

85 Marsh Harrier

A female powering south, makes up for yet again missing Tree Pipit for the garden list, this morning one was in a tree by the road just 25m from the house as I walked to the village:eek!: Found a Grasshopper Warbler on my walk too, so potential additions lurking...

COVID has definitely helped this year, 6 months being home almost every night is normally unheard of especially during spring and autumn

64 Common Crossbill this morning (12/9) over the garden calling while I was doing the moth trap. Checking that revealed I'd doubled up on Willow Warbler - now corrected.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back