• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus inbuilt image stabilization - compatible with tripod? (1 Viewer)

Hor Kee

Penang birder
Dear all,

Is the in-body image stabilization of the Olympus PEN Micro 4/3 cameras usable when the camera system is mounted upon a tripod, whether it is by the camera's own tripod mount or with the camera mounted on a lens that is in turn mounted upon a tripod with a lens shoe? Does image quality take a hit when this image stabilization is turned off in such a situation?

I don't know about the Micro 4/3 but on my Olympus 4/3 camera, Olympus recommend that the IS is turned OFF when using the camera on a tripod. I would imagine that the Micro 4/3 is the same. The Pen EP3 has three IS settings: vertical & horizontal, vertical or horizontal.

Ron

Hi,

I am inclined to agree, I see no reasons why the recommendation should not be applicable for the m4/3 as well.

I turn IS off on my 4/3 body in the fowolling situations:
- When used on a tripod
- When photographing birds in flight, using short shutter speeds. I got recommended to do so by another 4/3 user on this forum and I get the impression that the AF performance (usually C-AF) seems to improve with IS off.

HTH
/Tord

I don't know about the Micro 4/3 but on my Olympus 4/3 camera, Olympus recommend that the IS is turned OFF when using the camera on a tripod. I would imagine that the Micro 4/3 is the same. The Pen EP3 has three IS settings: vertical & horizontal, vertical or horizontal.

Ron

If horizontal means compensating for shake when panning, then that might be a good option for a tripod-mounted EP3, at least if you only lock the up-down direction but leave the tripod head able to pan.

I have also elsewhere seen advice of turning IS off with really fast shutter speeds irrespective of tripod or not - I have not tested my Panasonic m4/3, only used with is on.

Niels

If horizontal means compensating for shake when panning, then that might be a good option for a tripod-mounted EP3, at least if you only lock the up-down direction but leave the tripod head able to pan.

I have also elsewhere seen advice of turning IS off with really fast shutter speeds irrespective of tripod or not - I have not tested my Panasonic m4/3, only used with is on.

Niels
I think it is the other way round. 'Vertical' means that the image is stabilized vertically, when panning horizontally. I think the 'horizontal' option is used if you are panning vertically (if there is such a thing.) Or maybe if you are panning horizontally with the camera rotated 90 degrees.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back