• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (10 Viewers)

Thank you to everyone who has posted messages and PM's re: my father.

Father is now mentally back to normal thank goodness, the anesthetic sent him insane, it was absolutely awful - the hallucinations he had were horrific. The physiotherapists are working with him to walk again etc and apart from being tired, everything else is fine and he looks very well.

I joked with father tonight that it was a good job it wasn't spring migration right now!!!

Won't post on this anymore - only PM's - also thank you Mods.:t:

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Finally been persuaded to put all my records into BirdTrack so I spent 2 hours this afternoon putting in my first 10 or so records. I've got 2 years worth of survey data from one site to put in - it's going to take a while! Also some interesting records from Denver Sluice...it should be rewarding in the end (I hope)!

Well played, hopefully you'll inspire me to get back on the job :t: By the way, we ought to set up some system to ensure we don't enter the same records...

Well played, hopefully you'll inspire me to get back on the job :t: By the way, we ought to set up some system to ensure we don't enter the same records...

It doesn't really matter if you do - we can deal with that. And as one of the reasons for using BirdTrack is as your personal recording software, then you might be better entering data each. Up to you though

Cheers

Andy

A few bits:
Buckenham/Cantley early Friday: Taiga Bean Goose: 74, Buzzard 1.
Strumpshaw Saturday (mid morning, then mid-late afternoon): Smew, Otter 2, Bittern 1. A bird called several times to the right of Fen Hide at c4.30pm and sounded very like Penduline Tit...but we couldn't see it.
Buckenham/Cantley, early Sunday then again at dusk: Taiga Bean Goose, 32, Bearded Tit 3 (Cantley), Otter, 1 near Hassingham Beck outfall, Bewick's Swan 5 (flew downstream), Curlew, 3, Redpoll sp 4 over, Peregrine.

Other birds reported at Strumpshaw recently (on RSPB board) include Firecrest, Willow Tit (on the feeders by reception), Waxwing and Rough-legged Buzzard (Buckenham).
Cheers

Romulus & Regulus ? Twin delight-lets at Felbrigg

The two Firecrests which have been seen for some time now in the westernmost car park have, until today, eluded me.

On this, my fourth visit- and thanks to someone else's recording (I would never do that kind of thing!)- the bird activity immediately increased. At last, they arrived, feeding mainly in the various conifers, as one would expect.

Accompaniment was provided by other crests, tits and creepers.

A couple of Crossbills and a Redpoll flew over and Great Spots were drumming.

Titchwell February 15th

Today's highlights

Pintail - 140 on fresh marsh
Avocet - 10 on fresh marsh
Water pipit - 1 feeding in reedbed, 1 on fresh marsh
Mealy redpoll - 1 in trees around visitor centre
Snow bunting - 8 on beach

Paul

Kelling Heath

A very quiet walk round Kelling Heath today produced a nice pair of Buzzards but very few other birds. The least expected sighting was a herd of 6 Red Deer stags including a couple of impressive individuals. They were north of the car park.

Hope nobody objects to a non-bird photo. ;)

Dave

Attachments

• Red Deer 100215 P1020417web.JPG
    Red Deer 100215 P1020417web.JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 146
That would be great Simon - thanks very much indeed. It'll save me lurking around Cromer looking for garden ponds big enough to hold a Moorhen!

Cheers

Andy

No problem.

Had a quick whizz round the potential Moorhen hotspots in the square today and 3 sites produced 5 birds so they are positively abundant!

Also by coincidence whilst out looking for some of the other birds on your list I had my first winter Common Buzzard go through the square so there's another one I can add.

Regards

Simon

Last edited:
Hi Sacha - this is great. Are you definitely within the TG22 square? If so, I will abort my possible evening visit to try to find Little Owls this weekend.

Even if you're not within TG22, that's a great haul of birds, and I'm sure they would add a few dots to the atlas maps, so yes please do get the records in.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,
Just had a look and i am just out of TG22 ... sorry. I have however walked that area recently, so will put my records on. But no, I haven't seen Little owl there. There aren't that many in this area though!
Sacha

Hi Andy,
Just had a look and i am just out of TG22 ... sorry. I have however walked that area recently, so will put my records on. But no, I haven't seen Little owl there. There aren't that many in this area though!
Sacha

We only need one!

Yes, please add any records you have though. And stick your garden records in for the correct square anyway, they may add a few dots. (I don't think we've decided exactly what we're going to do about displaying fly-over records yet, but we'd like them putting in for now)

Cheers

Andy

While we're on the subject of records: Does anyone know anything about a silver-washed fritillary, supposedly seen on 28th June at Titchwell? Apparently it was reported in some local birding group newsletter, but I may be the victim of chinese whispers.

Also, there is a dismantled railway line shown running to the west and north of north wootton - does anyone know if it can walked, and if so and anyone has, do they remember any butterflies? We have nothing from the three tetrads it runs through, nor the saltmarsh to the west.

PS, on the subject of TG22, the tetrad starting at TG2826 is the only one I'm missing - if anyone's ever been there (it's the square north of worstead station with the railway line in.)

Last edited:
Our fortunes are Waxing ? Bombycilla almost in the bank ! Not scared by the 4 owls !

With an amount of scepticism, I drove to Cromer. I’m ashamed to say I couldn’t recall any trees in the main street- although there was Morrison’s car park, as a fall-back.

When I arrived and, most fortunately, was able to park opposite, I was even more dubious, as the rowan in question was almost completely denuded and on a much-frequented thoroughfare. As can be seen from the photos, however, there were berries and the Waxwings were coming down to them. I don’t think there’ll be any left by the end of today, though !

It was a slightly unusual, albeit most welcome, sight to see them perched on the chimney-pots.

I hope they will prove to be the harbingers of more to descend.

Attachments

• P1010123.jpg
    P1010123.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 122
  • P1010124.jpg
    P1010124.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 116
  • P1010127pse.jpg
    P1010127pse.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 133
Titchwell February 17th

Today's highlights

Hen harrier - male over reedbed at dusk
Bittern - 2 birds in reedbed
Snow bunting - 11 at Thornham Point
Velvet scoter - 2 offshore
Twite - 50 on brackish marsh
Wtare pipit - 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

While we're on the subject of records: Does anyone know anything about a silver-washed fritillary, supposedly seen on 28th June at Titchwell? Apparently it was reported in some local birding group newsletter, but I may be the victim of chinese whispers.

I do remember seeing it written in the sightings book but we don't have any other information about it.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back