• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (21 Viewers)

A nice group of Pintail at Denver Sluice this afternoon along with plenty of other wildfowl.

Does anyone know whereabouts exactly the Glaucous Gull is being seen at Cley please?

Thanks

Sim

Following my posting here I have read with interest a new thread on the Waxham plover, with many replies between my posts

Golden plover are variable and a grey type goldie a possible ID for the possible lesser GP.

A most interesting set of comments can be found on the other thread.

Also, there is a dismantled railway line shown running to the west and north of north wootton - does anyone know if it can walked, and if so and anyone has, do they remember any butterflies? We have nothing from the three tetrads it runs through, nor the saltmarsh to the west.

It's only accessible for a very small section of it I believe. But I do know someone who has access to the private marshes so I'll pass this on to him and nag him to enter any records.

With an amount of scepticism, I drove to Cromer. I’m ashamed to say I couldn’t recall any trees in the main street- although there was Morrison’s car park, as a fall-back.

When I arrived and, most fortunately, was able to park opposite, I was even more dubious, as the rowan in question was almost completely denuded and on a much-frequented thoroughfare. As can be seen from the photos, however, there were berries and the Waxwings were coming down to them. I don’t think there’ll be any left by the end of today, though !

If all the berries outside the bank have gone, there's still quite a few on a cotoneaster in the back garden of the house next to the Conservative Club where, after finding a few single figure flocks around the roads to the southeast of the main car park during the morning (where there are more berries and a crab apple tree), I discovered what we finally established were 24 feeding there early afternoon.

The flock was returning to the garden and overhead wires every half hour or so till c4.25 when they flew off hopefully to roost nearby.

The light and rain weren't ideal for photography, but here's my best efforts plus a record shot of all 24.

Simon

Attachments

• Waxwings1.jpg
    Waxwings1.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 117
  • Waxwing1.jpg
    Waxwing1.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 109
  • Waxwing3.jpg
    Waxwing3.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 24Waxwings.jpg
    24Waxwings.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 110
Thanks. I guess I'm just a perfectionist on the quiet!

However considering I just digiscope without any adapters I should be more happy than I am with my shots.

Simon

In that case I'm even more impressed. What shutter speed? I can't imagine the bird posed for long with the berry in it's beak in the 2nd shot.

In that case I'm even more impressed. What shutter speed? I can't imagine the bird posed for long with the berry in it's beak in the 2nd shot.

To be honest I know very little about my camera (its a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3) or any of its settings, I just point and shoot and hope for the best, so just got lucky with that one.

However going into the properties of the photo it says the shutter speed was 1/125sec, tho as each photo seems to have a different speed I presume the camera just adjusts it automatically depending on conditions?

Simon

Golden Plover for me on structure. A greyish one though.
Cheers

Yes - from a quick look at the photo looks like a 'grey' Golden Plover to me too!

I now think the bird is a greyish golden plover too not a grey plover.

The finder deserves respect for putting this record out. Photo not ideal but it is a wonder any worthwhile pictures could be taken at all.

Bird not unlike an AGP I saw in Cambridgeshire. An interesting bird!

I now think the bird is a greyish golden plover too not a grey plover.

The finder deserves respect for putting this record out. Photo not ideal but it is a wonder any worthwhile pictures could be taken at all.

Bird not unlike an AGP I saw in Cambridgeshire. An interesting bird!

I presume somebody has seen the underwing!!!!:cat::cat:

Titchwell February 17th

Today's highlights

Spotted redshank - 10 around reserve
Velvet scoter - 9 offshore with 1150 common scoter
Long tailed duck - 7 offshore
Great Northern diver - 1 offshore
Woodcock - 1 in picnic area
Hen harrier - ringtail hunting over saltmarsh
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

Had a quick stop at Whitlingham Lane this afternoon: Red-necked Grebe still there along with 2 redhead Goosander and fem/imm "duck that shall not be named for it's own safety". No sign of the Ring-necked Duck or Scaup, but diving duck numbers were noticeably down and some of the pesky things were in among the island vegetation so could still be lurking I suppose.

Other than that, the lane looked really pleasant in the still sunshine. Felt positively warm in relation to recent weather!

Few bits and bobs from Breckland, posting this in both Suffolk and Norfolk threads since sites are close to (or on) the border.
East Wretham was dead quiet as usual save for a few Marsh Tits. Masses of corvids leaving the morning roost.
Santon Downham- think I caught the call of a Lesser Spot, Greater and Green seen! Around 5 Brambling remained from a flock which until recently numbered up to 200. Fantastic birds, I would suggest it has been a lean winter for this attractive finch? Have any other members of the forum picked, or not picked up Brambling at their usual sites? Furthermore, distinct lack of Goldcrest!
Lynford aboretum was top notch! Parked next to the paddocks, picked out a group of 10 Crossbill high in an ivy clad tree feeding quietly. A bird I always struggle to see well, so I was well chuffed! Between 9 and 15 Hawfinch were commuting and feeding in the paddocks, looking robust and dare I say confident.
Tried the 'well known' site for Goshawk, no luck today but Siskin and Crossbill were calling.
Top day, hard work but the brecks always are. Good bunch of people I got to speak to throughout the day, cant say there was one numpty amongst them!
Good to be back birding,
Jim.

Titchwell February 18th

Today's highlights

Black redstart - 1 briefly in dunes by boardwalk
Mealy redpoll - 1 in trees by visitor centre
Avocet - 9 on fresh marsh
Bittern - 1 in flight over reedbed
Wtare pipit - 1 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 1 on brackish marsh
Snow bunting - 30 on beach

Paul