• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Walrus, North Ronaldsay (1 Viewer)

And of course there was the one near Bergen (if not the one you mention here) that spent a day sunbathing on a beach while we, blissfully unaware, ambled about just a few kilometres to its east :-O

That's the one: having been on a twitch for it aborted en route North in Yorkshire, I then missed it again in Norway despite it being very close by. Happy I was not!

John

I'm not sure why you imagine they aren't strong swimmers. We know a Polar Bear can swim a hundred miles at a stretch or more - after all they turn up in Iceland from time to time - and it is inconceivable that a much more aquatically adapted mammal such as a Walrus can't beat that by a very long way.

In any case there are a number of British records. One reason they seem difficult to catch up with is that they don't seem to stick, which also tends to suggest that they are very strong swimmers with minimal recovery times before setting off home. The last one (I think) departed almost straightaway and was recorded in Norway near Bergen not very long afterwards.

If only they were as easy as Bearded Seals....

That still leaves the displacement question and I can't answer that except to say that it seems to happen to all Arctic species occasionally. Ice floe drifting South and melting under it perhaps?

John

I know they swim obviously but they aren't designed for long distance movements is what I meant.

A

I know they swim obviously but they aren't designed for long distance movements is what I meant.

A

Courtesy Wikipedia but a starting point, under Migration in the Walrus entry it states:

"The migration between the ice and the beach can be long-distance and dramatic."

So it would appear they are designed for long-distance movements.

John

The assumption seems to be adult male, it has serious tusks on it.

John

Thanks! 'Adult' would be, what, 5 years or more? 10 years or more?

Ice floe drifting South and melting under it perhaps?

John

Very unlikely for Orkney - the water is much too warm for ice floes, and is against the sea currents too. It'd have to swim actively against the North Atlantic Drift to get there.

Perhaps something wrong with its navigation system? Maybe similar, a Harp Seal in Northumbs a few years ago was an elderly male with an eye infection and other age-related degeneration that could have impaired its navigation [it was taken into care but died after a couple of weeks, details from its post-mortem].

Thanks! 'Adult' would be, what, 5 years or more? 10 years or more?

Very unlikely for Orkney - the water is much too warm for ice floes, and is against the sea currents too. It'd have to swim actively against the North Atlantic Drift to get there.

Perhaps something wrong with its navigation system? Maybe similar, a Harp Seal in Northumbs a few years ago was an elderly male with an eye infection and other age-related degeneration that could have impaired its navigation [it was taken into care but died after a couple of weeks, details from its post-mortem].

Actually its quite easy to make a case for an animal displaced only a bit to be positively borne by the current down into the North Sea:

http://earthguide.ucsd.edu/virtualmuseum/images/raw/OCC_Fig6_1_1.jpg

I assume this accounts for North Sea records of Harp Seal, Bearded Seal, Ringed Seal, Hooded Seal and Walrus. I assume further that a single pathological explanation across so many species is less likely than them being caught up by the Southward hook of the Gulf Stream into the North Sea.

Male Walruses are sexually mature by seven but typically don't mate (unable to compete with beachmasters I assume) till fully developed at about fifteen.

I'm assuming a lot this morning - sorry!

John

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back