• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Velbon carbon tripod. (1 Viewer)

Hi!I have a Manfrotto 190-tripod with a 701.head.The 190-tripod is not very sturdy when windy.Have no one here any experience with Velbon?I want a sturdier tripod.Like the 055,but if i can reduce weight it is nice too.

niklasjonsson said:
Hi!I have a Manfrotto 190-tripod with a 701.head.The 190-tripod is not very sturdy when windy.Have no one here any experience with Velbon?I want a sturdier tripod.Like the 055,but if i can reduce weight it is nice too.
I have an older Velbon Sherpa 5300 carbon pod, this isn't quite as sturdy as the 055 but you won't find anything as lightweight as the Velbon. The Velbon will be o.k. for general scope but if you want real stability (digiscoping/photography), then I'd really suggest you have to look elsewhere, maybe new Manfrotto Magfiber range or Gitzo.

cheers,
Andy

Ok!Here in Sweden a bigger model called Velbon El Carmange 630(they also have 530,540,640-models)It is carbon and some details in magnesium.The 630model weights about 1,55kg.I bought it today and will be having it in 2 or 3 days.I just read one article saying that the 630-model is sturdier than the -055 manfrotto.I hope it is so1Thanks/Niklas.

niklasjonsson said:
Ok!Here in Sweden a bigger model called Velbon El Carmange 630(they also have 530,540,640-models)It is carbon and some details in magnesium.The 630model weights about 1,55kg.I bought it today and will be having it in 2 or 3 days.I just read one article saying that the 630-model is sturdier than the -055 manfrotto.I hope it is so1Thanks/Niklas.

I have a Velbon in that 640 range that I have been using for more than a year or two. There is only one gripe I have: the central column can only be moved when the legs are out. But as far as sturdiness is concerned you should be in the range of the Manfrotto 055 or better. (I have one of those too). But the 055 extends to a higher elevation, at least compared to my 4-section Velbon which I also bought for its compactness.

What do we mean when we say "sturdy"? Structural rigidity and strength, mass, or freedom from vibration?

No matter how rigid or strong, a light tripod will blow over in high wind. No matter how heavy, it could be weak and rickety.

When I replace my old Fip-Lock, I will look for light weight, good build and rigidity. I figure I can always add a sack of sand or a water bag if I need extra weight but I can't remove weight from a heavy tripod.

I'll probably go for a BM 190.

After testing Velbon El Carmagne 630 Carbon /701 rc,I can only say tht there is a real different compared to my old 190/700 rc.They have 28 mm diameter of the legs(my old 190 aluminium have 25 mm diameter).It is very easy to pull out the legs.This tripod will last for many years(i hope),Bye,bye!In Sweden it costs 3000 kronor.That is in dollars about 500 american dollars.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back