• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anything possible to ID from this batch of birds? Kazakhstan (1 Viewer)

emilj_j

Netherlands
Aksu-Zhabagly Nature Reserve, 4.7.2019

Attachments

• DSC_9065.jpg
    DSC_9065.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC_9085.jpg
    DSC_9085.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC_9057.jpg
    DSC_9057.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC_9090.jpg
    DSC_9090.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC_9131.jpg
    DSC_9131.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 97
I'll try some.

1. Looks like a Kestrel.
2. Upper bird Egyptian Vulture
3. Egyptian Vulture.

I'll leave rest to experts...

1. looks like Common Kestrel.
2. Egyptian Vulture with either a Himalayan or Griffon Vulture.
3. Egyptian Vulture.
4. a Lark?
5. possibly a juvenile Egyptian Vulture but really not sure.

I lightened the image of the bird you posted on the other thread. The ruff still looks white to me and the body of the bird has started to look warm brown, especially the side of the nape and upper breast. Looking at Forsman, underwing bars as shown by this bird should only be present in heavily moulting birds, so perhaps that's an explanation. Was this bird as dark as it appears in the photos?

Attachments

• DSC_9082.jpg
    DSC_9082.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 59
I had a ranger with me, and she identified nr. 4 as corn bunting. there should be also golden eagle on one of the photos, it must be then nr 5

if my memory serves me well, it was dark. ranger identified quite a few birds as black vulture, I presume it's other name for cinereous vulture

if my memory serves me well, it was dark. ranger identified quite a few birds as black vulture, I presume it's other name for cinereous vulture
Yes. "Cinereous" is an American renaming (so they could keep 'Black Vulture' unaltered for Coragyps atratus), highly inappropriate, as 'cinereous' means pale greyish-white (the colour of ashes), completely wrong for Aegypius monachus. High time it was deleted from the official lists.

Yes. "Cinereous" is an American renaming (so they could keep 'Black Vulture' unaltered for Coragyps atratus), highly inappropriate, as 'cinereous' means pale greyish-white (the colour of ashes), completely wrong for Aegypius monachus. High time it was deleted from the official lists.

You cannot be Cinereous!

Once again led by the nose with vernacular - as for the Lark/Bunting and supposed ‘range’ i had better take the Black Lark on Anglesey off my list because, well, it shouldn’t occur there.....:-O

Laurie:t:

Once again led by the nose with vernacular - as for the Lark/Bunting and supposed ‘range’ i had better take the Black Lark on Anglesey off my list because, well, it shouldn’t occur there.....:-O

Though I get your point, I don't think you could claim what would an extremely rare vagrant there from such a poor photo, which is probably not 100% reliable identifiable. Aksu is a fabulous place having been there 8 or 9 times.

A mate went on a guided tour there last year and thorougly loved it - the downside being that the group birder was unavailable so they provided a.....botanist and too long was spent travelling through habitat that they seemed to have passed through hours ago - they complained and got.....20 quid back:-O

I would like to visit and he drives so it will be a DIY a-la-Stratford;)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back