• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question for any American bloggers ..... (1 Viewer)

Peakster

Do Chaffinch's occur in the USA ???

The reason I ask is because it's song keeps cropping up in US TV shows .

I'd also like to know what your Starling population currently stands at . I was amazed to read that a Shakespear enthusiast who wished to populate the "New World" with birds mentioned in Shakey's plays smuggled only a few pairs of Starlings over . Those few pairs now supposedly blanket two continents from Panama to Alaska .
The phrase "breeding like Jackrabbits..." should be altered methinks!!! :bounce:

No, Chaffinches do not occur in North America (excepting the occasional that gets blown onto the western Aleutians).

As to [European] Starlings, they have thrived into hordes of many millions since their successful introduction into Central Park in New York City (c. 1898, I believe). That was the second attempt; the first failed so he brought in more!

Panama is considered the southernmost point of North America, so that would be one continent, but, yes, it is pretty well blanketed.

The worst part of the starling situation is that they usurp nesting holes of native species. Woodpeckers are the most common victims, but others are evicted, too. A recent result of starling expansion and nestsite usurpation is the extirpation of the Vancouver population of the (also introduced) Crested Myna--a population that grew and flourished until the starling expanded into its limited range.

Good birding (and you can have the starlings back--we'll pay shipping and throw in some House Sparrows, too)

Phalarope

Phalarope said:
Good birding (and you can have the starlings back--we'll pay shipping and throw in some House Sparrows, too)

Hi Phalarope,

I'll see your plague of starlings and house sparrows and raise you unlimited numbers of grey squirrels!

Anthony

Anthony Morton said:
Hi Phalarope,

I'll see your plague of starlings and house sparrows and raise you unlimited numbers of grey squirrels!

Anthony

Ahhh, Anthony, they are truly unlimited. We have taken to live trapping the little buggers so that there is some food left for the birds on our deck. In 2003, we transported 120 (started in March); in 2004, 210; quit counting this year at 200--but there are very few coming now, and they do not climb on the feeder.

And, no, we have not been trapping the same squirrels. The rule is to take them at least 5 miles (10 preferred) and beyond at least one (two preferred) 4-lane thoroughfares.

Nature does abhor a vacuum, and the Gray Squirrels keep coming, but at a slower rate, now, and the Fox Squirrels are rebounding after being nearly pushed out of the area by the Grays.

Good birding,

Phalarope

Starlings, House Sparrows and Rock Doves, as every BB Gun-toting American child knows, are not protected by law and always fair game. Not having any children I have had to resort to trapping and relocating the flock of House Sparrows that was resident in my yard once they became a nuisance.

Panama is considered the southernmost point of North America, so that would be one continent, but, yes, it is pretty well blanketed.

3:)
My nigh perfect geographic knowledge once again pays off .

Plenty here in blighty thanks ....but we could use a Bald-Eagle or two though .... since you're offering !!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back