• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dutch Birding bird names 2011 (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
van den Berg 2011. Dutch Birding-vogelnamen / Dutch Birding bird names. Jan 2011.
www.dutchbirding.nl/content/page/files/DBupdateWPchecklistArnoud20110120.pdf

[A preview of the annual taxa names update which will presumably be published in Dutch Birding 33(1).]

Taxonomic changes (wrt the preceding version, Jul 2010) include:

• Larus barabensis Steppe Gull is recognised as specifically distinct from L heuglini.

• Sterna acuflavida Cabot's Tern is recognised as specifically distinct from S sandvicensis [Efe et al 2009, IOC].

• Riparia diluta Pale Martin is recognised as specifically distinct from R riparia [IOC, H&M3, Clements, HBW, OBC, CBR].

• Turdoides is reassigned to new family Leiothrichidae [IOC].

• Troglodytes troglodytes is renamed Eurasian Wren in recognition of the split of T hiemalis/pacificus [AOU, IOC, Clements, CBR].

• Sturnus vulgaris granti Azores Starling is highlighted as 'a distinct subspecies sometimes considered specifically distinct'.

• Vermivora pinus is corrected to V cyanoptera [AOU, IOC, Clements, HBW].

• Generic reassignments within Parulini:

• Vermivora peregrina to Oreothlypis [AOU, IOC, Clements].
    • Seiurus noveboracensis, motacilla to Parkesia [AOU, IOC, Clements].
    • Parula americana to Setophaga.
    • Dendroica to Setophaga.
    • Wilsonia citrina to Setophaga.
    • Wilsonia pusilla, canadensis to Cardellina.
A few other changes concern vernacular names or additions to the WP list.

Richard

Last edited:
Extinct taxa

I note they include Reuzenalk Pinguinus impennis Great Auk. Do they know something we don't?
Seven taxa which have become globally extinct since 1840 are listed - including, perhaps controversially, Slender-billed Curlew (which sadly is probably a reasonable assessment).

Richard

Last edited:
Reference

[A preview of the annual taxa names update which will presumably be published in Dutch Birding 33(1).]

Ref. Redactie Dutch Birding 2011. Redactiemededelingen: Naamgeving van taxa in Dutch Birding / Taxa names in Dutch Birding. Dutch Birding 33(1): 47-50.

Richard

Edouard P Ménétries/Ménétriés 1802-1861

Ref. Redactie Dutch Birding 2011. Redactiemededelingen: Naamgeving van taxa in Dutch Birding / Taxa names in Dutch Birding. Dutch Birding 33(1): 47-50.
Also of possible esoteric interest, Ménétries' Zwartkop/Ménétries's Warbler is revised to Ménétriés' Zwartkop/Ménétriés's Warbler (following Raposo & Kirwan 2008, Redman et al 2009) - see www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=147427 [posts #8-16].

Richard

Last edited:
Also of possible esoteric interest, Ménétries' Zwartkop/Ménétries's Warbler is revised to Ménétriés' Zwartkop/Ménétriés's Warbler (following Raposo & Kirwan 2008, Redman et al 2009) - see www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=147427 [posts #8-16].

Richard

Not exactly esoteric. Revision previously in:

MÉNÉTRIÉS, E. 1838. Catalogue d’insectes recueillis entre Constantinople et le Balkan. St. Pétersbourg, Acad. des Sciences. 4to. pp. 52, with 2 handcoloured lithographed plates. Contemporary half cloth.- Concerns almost entirely coleoptera.

Jobling, JA. 2010. The Helm Dictionary of Scientific names, from aalge to zusii. Christopher Helm,. London, UK.

Parkin, DT and AG Knox. 2010. The Status of Birds in Britain and Ireland. Helm, A&C Black. London, UK.

'Nuff said?
MJB

I'm not exactly convinced that Ménétriés "revised" his own name; presumably he knew how (he preferred) to spell it. In modern ornithological literature, perhaps the credit for spelling his name thus belongs to Dickinson (2003), who (it transpires) spelt it with three é's because that is the international library standard spelling, which rationale was that employed by Raposo & Kirwan, whither:

"(Given that several alternative spellings exist in the ornithological literature for Ménétriés, namely the present spelling, as well as Ménétries and even Ménétriès, and that we have already been ‘accused’ once, by Bornschein et al. 2007, of misspelling his name, we take the opportunity to record that the international library standard spelling is Ménétriés, as followed here and our earlier publication, Raposo et al. 2006.)."

I rather suspect that Jobling, and Knox & Parkin, followed Dickinson (2003).

I'm not exactly convinced that Ménétriés "revised" his own name; presumably he knew how (he preferred) to spell it. In modern ornithological literature, perhaps the credit for spelling his name thus belongs to Dickinson (2003), who (it transpires) spelt it with three é's because that is the international library standard spelling, which rationale was that employed by Raposo & Kirwan, whither:

"(Given that several alternative spellings exist in the ornithological literature for Ménétriés, namely the present spelling, as well as Ménétries and even Ménétriès, and that we have already been ‘accused’ once, by Bornschein et al. 2007, of misspelling his name, we take the opportunity to record that the international library standard spelling is Ménétriés, as followed here and our earlier publication, Raposo et al. 2006.)."

I rather suspect that Jobling, and Knox & Parkin, followed Dickinson (2003).

Guy,
Notwithstanding your, as usual, erudite and well-argued case, the first editions of books he edited and produced in Russia (he was also responsible for the design at all stages) have his name spelt with 3 acute accents, including where that appears on the cover. Granted, he might have thought to do so looked more 'artistic', but the court language was French, not Russian, so I don't see that it was a misprint! I chatted with James Jobling at the BBF on this very subject, and he was aware of these books and the way the name was spelt. Perhaps the reasons are lost in the mists of time!
MJB

Mike, nothing incorrect about your statement. But that misses my point. EPM knew exactly how to spell his own name. The question, interesting or not as it may be (but certainly esoteric for most people I strongly suspect), is when and how other spellings of his name came to be introduced into the (ornithological) literature and who might be given credit for returning to the "correct" spelling. In that sense, EPM did not "revise" his own name, which was the word you employed in your morning post. Certainly, most of my adult life I've managed to misspell it, following others who I presumed knew better.

I blame Henry Dresser. In 1898 Heatly Noble in his “A List of European Birds” spelled the common name of Sylvia mystacea as Ménétries' Warbler. That is two accents and only an apostrophe at the end. But in the introduction he thanked Henry Dresser for letting him use his European bird list. Then in 1902 Dresser in his A manual of palaearctic birds, used Ménétriés's that is three accents and then apostrophe and an ‘s’ at the end.

Mike, nothing incorrect about your statement. But that misses my point. EPM knew exactly how to spell his own name. The question, interesting or not as it may be (but certainly esoteric for most people I strongly suspect), is when and how other spellings of his name came to be introduced into the (ornithological) literature and who might be given credit for returning to the "correct" spelling. In that sense, EPM did not "revise" his own name, which was the word you employed in your morning post. Certainly, most of my adult life I've managed to misspell it, following others who I presumed knew better.

Guy,
As usual, game, set and match to you! You are quite right.
MJB

August 2011 update

van den Berg 2011. Dutch Birding-vogelnamen / Dutch Birding bird names. 13 Aug 2011. [pdf]

Mostly scientific name spelling corrections, IOC English name changes, and WP list additions.

But one notable taxonomic revision is the lumping(!) of Motacilla iberiae Spanish Wagtail (split by Sangster et al 1999) with M cinereocapilla Ashy-headed Wagtail as 'White-throated Wagtail'. This aligns with the possible PSC arrangement suggested by Alström et al 2003 (Pipits & Wagtails, p34), although that work mistakenly gives priority to iberiae.

PS. It would be interesting to know whether CSNA still supports the recognition of M simillima Kamchatka Wagtail (also split by Sangster et al 1999). ['Simillima' is synonymised with tschutschensis by Alström et al 2003].

Last edited:
van den Berg 2011. Dutch Birding-vogelnamen / Dutch Birding bird names. 13 Aug 2011. [pdf]

Mostly scientific name spelling corrections, IOC English name changes, and WP list additions.

But one notable taxonomic revision is the lumping(!) of Motacilla iberiae Spanish Wagtail (split by Sangster et al 1999) with M cinereocapilla Ashy-headed Wagtail as 'White-throated Wagtail'. This aligns with the possible PSC arrangement suggested by Alström et al 2003 (Pipits & Wagtails, p34), although that work mistakenly gives priority to iberiae.

Isn’t this lumping was expected also following the discovery of an Ashy-headed Wagtail population breeding in south-western Morocco, and the probable hybridisation with Spanish Wagtail?

Quote from van den Berg (2011):
"If it turns out that the amount of hybridization (‘intergradation’) along the Atlantic coast is similar to that in south-eastern France, one may argue that diagnostic plumage differences in any age or sex are lacking."

van den Berg A.B. 2011. Breeding status of Ashy-headed Wagtail in south-western Morocco. Dutch Birding 33 (2): 117-121.

White-throated Wagtail

Isn’t this lumping was expected also following the discovery of an Ashy-headed Wagtail population breeding in south-western Morocco, and the probable hybridisation with Spanish Wagtail?
Thanks, Mohamed. I'd forgotten about that article!

PS. I see that you've been busy writing some interesting articles recently. :t:
  • Amezian et al 2011. Cricket Longtail breeding in southern Morocco. Dutch Birding 33(4): 229-233. [Dutch summary]
  • Qninba et al 2011. Nidifications automnales d'oiseaux sahariens dans la région d'Oued Ad-Dahab - Lagouira (Maroc méridional). Go-South Bull 8:21-34. [pdf]
Must visit Morocco again before too long...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back