• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blooking update (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
There was a windows update last night and it's knocked a setting off. Can't for the life of me find out to restore it.

I had the pictures set to open in Paint.net when I double-clicked on the image, but it's opening in Picture viewer, I think.

Now I have to right click on the image and select the programme I want. There's no set as default option.

I found Default Programmes, and Paint.net is not listed as an option.

I'm stuck.

Set 'default program' for extension(s) (.jpg, .bmp etc.) if not on list 'Browse' and select?

I had the same sort of thing. My PC was set to eliminate most 'Sounds' except useful ones. After the update it was beeping and honking all over the place. I had to laboriously reset them all. Another thing that gets me is that such updates often also wipe out passwords that have been 'automated', sometimes for months. And you have to reset them. Windows has always been a PITA that way.

Last edited:
Agree..... I always get scared when they do an update.

I still have intermittent problems from one a year or so back; it muted the speakers, and CTRL+C and the right Shift with c wouldn't work! This happens now every couple of months and lasts about half a day, when it suddenly resolves itself. It's really frustrating while it lasts.

Just waiting for the blasted things to install themselves is nuisance enough. 'You have one important update of 325kb'. Twenty minutes later you're ready to go!

Just waiting for the blasted things to install themselves is nuisance enough. 'You have one important update of 325kb'. Twenty minutes later you're ready to go!

On Windows 7, just change the 'Windows Update' settings to only install when you choose to.
That way they do not disrupt the work routine.
Do note that you will get a PC Issues message flag, as MS does not like it.
I do not know whether this also applies to Windows 10.

W10 have been notifying when there is one to be done and I usually choose the option to do it at a time when I know I will be shutting down for the night.

So I just leave it switched on.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back