• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corona virus threat to birding (2 Viewers)

If that's the impression my posts have given, then I'm clearly not expressing myself very well. The point I was trying to make was nothing to do with me having fun and suffering less than anyone else. But I've obviously failed to explain what I did mean, so I'll leave it at that.

Malcolm

The only point that I’m am trying to make, is that none of these restrictions will work unless there is a perceived equity on how they are impacting the public - it’s not about 1 or 2 people doing what is essentially harmless but the impression that creates and how that can lead to masses of other people all following suit but whose actions in doing so, may have a serious impact! Just like the psychology of ‘panic buying’ = FOMO

I do the bulk of my grocery shopping on line and top up elsewhere when I have to.

Unfortunately I'm not sure there is the capacity for everyone to do that for food. Quite rightly they are giving priority to the people who most need it. I may qualify as I'm asthmatic but there's people who are a lot more in the need than me.
Yes, a big problem - up until a couple of weeks ago, only about 7% of UK population bought their day-to-day food online, now nearly everyone wants to. The supermarkets just don't have the capacity. Getting registered for priority is (according to my parents) a nightmare too, they've not been able to get through to the hotline.

Makes you wonder what we miss in the normal day to day rushing around!
A pair of Stock Doves are spending a lot of time in the nearby oak trees. Only ever seen them from the house in the depths of winter previously.
Also from the upstairs window, a Bat at 3pm in the sunshine, most likely a Serotine going by it's size and flight. We do get them in the exact same area, usually after dark!

Presume you mean year listing ... yes and general twitching. And get those moth and other invertebrate books out too ;)

Yes year listing (being confined for the interim) might even evolve into longer stints (no pun intended) within their respective gardens and for those without... sky watching from the window. The upshot might well be that more people will find more interesting stuff (with patience) and it could be a win win all round. :t:

Cheers

So made it from Portugal back to France and now in solitary - despite Portugal having less cases than the risky France.

There were 2 passengers (including me) and a baby (not mine). So my private jet took off on time and landed 15 minutes ahead of schedule. From the plane I saw, on landing, a Red Kite, Black Kites mixed with Red following a tractor on the approach, Buzzard (common) on runway, Kestrel and a Black Shouldered Kite. Starlings at the airport, greenfinch calling and now have clocked more Kites, Nuthatch, Song Thrush calling, Collared Dove, Great Tit, Crag Martin overhead, Coal Tit, one short toed eagle overhead... So not a bad start to garden list.

As I got off the plane the police wanted a brief chat and basically make sure that I had the correct out of home paperwork and the right to be here, I was prepared. I had and explained that I had given some blank forms to the lady on the plane because she was unaware of the new rules and restrictions.

I managed to go shopping and whilst leaving some police had set up a temporary road block on a nearby roundabout and were inspecting everybodys papers. Thank god I had mine in order in advance.

I have drunk a local craft beer and am preparing myself for a bit of solitary confinement. Lots of toilet paper (essential for virus sufferers) etc....

No lock down has been imposed in Jersey yet, though I expect it will in the coming days, so I took advantage of a glorious day and had a few hours birding. Highlights were beautiful sum plum Water Pipits, glowing pink in the sun, and a fine Black-necked Grebe, also in breeding livery. Both enjoyed from empty hides eerily devoid of the permanently resident population of chattering togs.

On the way home, plans to do a bit of shopping at the local Waitrose were terminated when I saw a line of 50 shoppers queuing to get in. Bugger that, so I diverted to a nearby Morrisons mini mart. Not only did this have full shelves and dried goods like rice and pasta that have been conspicuously absent from Waitrose for over a week, but piles of white-gold, aka bog roll. And only 2 other shoppers. I can only guess that all those people waiting patiently to get into Waitrose really couldn't survive without humus.

'New York Governor Andrew Cuomo appeared to suggest the president was putting the country's economic well-being ahead of its public health, tweeting: "You cannot put a value on human life."
It's far too early to do it now but this is exactly what has to happen at some point, politicians have been putting a price on human lives for centuries, every time they start a war and send their men to fight.
Exactly right, even in peacetime. Life is full of risks we can't afford to eliminate; when we establish regulations on pollution or radiation for example, we have to put a dollar value on lives to calculate how much to spend on reducing exposure. The same has to be done here.

Good news but I'll bet that Trump, prematurely re-opens business in the US.
The really infuriating thing about Trump is that he's occasionally right, but manages to make the right answer look bad! Also his "views" change too much, being incapable of consistency or strategy. Still, at times he's intuitively channeling something valid that others are unwilling to acknowledge.

I do hope he doesn't completely blow this idea, having failed even to pay attention before. I have to say I wish that more countries were taking somewhat different approaches to the crisis (as S.Korea and Singapore have) so we could learn more about what works best, there being so many unknowns and uncertainties here.

Yes year listing (being confined for the interim) might even evolve into longer stints (no pun intended) within their respective gardens and for those without... sky watching from the window. The upshot might well be that more people will find more interesting stuff (with patience) and it could be a win win all round. :t:

Cheers

If you want to upload images of any longer stints you find in your garden Ken, I promise we’ll look at them with renewed respect for the rarity potential of your London abode ;) (any one for a temminck’s?)

Last edited:
Exactly right, even in peacetime. Life is full of risks we can't afford to eliminate; when we establish regulations on pollution or radiation for example, we have to put a dollar value on lives to calculate how much to spend on reducing exposure. The same has to be done here.

The really infuriating thing about Trump is that he's occasionally right, but manages to make the right answer look bad! Also his "views" change too much, being incapable of consistency or strategy. Still, at times he's intuitively channeling something valid that others are unwilling to acknowledge.

I do hope he doesn't completely blow this idea, having failed even to pay attention before. I have to say I wish that more countries were taking somewhat different approaches to the crisis (as S.Korea and Singapore have) so we could learn more about what works best, there being so many unknowns and uncertainties here.

Not sure that Drumpf has the ability to "open businesses" in the US. Individual state governors have a lot of authority, and many of them have shut down businesses and are enforcing it.

Drumpf's only ability is to stand in the way of treatment (and of course, to look like a selfish idiot while doing it).

Given that many people gave up/made a decision not to have a car so the next generation of children might have a better chance at a healthy future, it’s a little like rubbing their noses in it now if every off-work person/families got their car out and took to the road - causing increased pollution and increased incidents of RTAs due to the excess of traffic - all because of people using their cars to ‘self-isolate’ so they can circumvent restrictions.
This is fanciful nonsense. There's so much less traffic (and pollution) now that getting out into nature away from others is safer than it ever was. It's absurd that anyone shouldn't be allowed to do that. Fortunately we still are here. The only place we can't go birding (or exercise etc) is Rocky Mountain National Park, which has sadly been closed to the public because seniors in the town of Estes don't want strangers touching their gas pumps. (The same strangers the entire livelihood of their town depends on, and they'll want back in the future.) There seems to be some sort of denial of the whole concept of mortality at work here.

Why should you have more freedoms and suffer less than anyone else just because you have a car and want to go out and have fun?
Is this supposed to be some kind of bad joke: why should anyone have fun that you can't? You might as well argue that no one should be allowed to have a car at all, if you've chosen not to. I'm not even sure I want to understand what's passing for logic here.

Last edited:
For anyone looking at Dutch Birding or waarneming.nl for their Dutch rare bird news: no "very rares" will be shown because of the most recent measures.

In contrast, German ornitho.de has not (yet?) taken any measures to ensure that the anti-crowding measures are adhered to.

Study window list didn't get past 5. I feel I'm not going to win any what have you seen from your window competitions! Maybe I'll start a what have you seen from your run list.

If you want to upload images of any longer stints you find in your garden Ken, I promise we’ll look at them with renewed respect for the rarity potential of your London abode ;) (any one for a temminck’s?)

FWIW Deb, I've clocked up a fair number of species over the years, of course position aids considerably sitting adjacent to a narrow woodland ''corridor'' has helped. However a large chunk of my flyovers on paper should not have occurred, as they would show no attraction to the habitat

Point being that if more people did a ''bit more'' sky-watching'' (which most birders can do) they might be surprised as to what passes over their flat/abode.

A colleague of mine lives SSW of me in the Sussex weald, a regular house in a regular road and has had at least half dozen species that I would be overjoyed in having. Two flyover species in particular a flock of calling Med Gulls going over and on another occasion three Whooper Swans!...not to mention the adult Rose-coloured Starling in the garden!

The moral to this is patience (days with nowt) perseverance, luck...and a modicum of obsessiveness doesn't go amiss. ;)

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back