• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corona virus threat to birding (1 Viewer)

Understood. However, if all the known at-risk population is effectively self-isolating, that presumably removes a high proportion of those likely to require intensive care from the equation. I guess the key question is what proportion of the population not considered at risk will require critical care when infected, and how does that compare to capacity.

Part one of that is inestimable.

Current capacity is way below the anticipated need but some firms have repurposed their production sites to make ventilators and there are steps to increase bed space though I doubt the number of ventilators will be on a par with beds.

It's common sense to remove from the equation those, who should they become ill, will probably become VERY ill and save capacity in ICU for the unknowns.

Having functional healthcare surely is better than the opposite, but it's not really the end-all solution. Half of the people who go on artificial ventilation die anyway. It's not like we can, at this moment, reliably save people from this.

Clearly I have more influence than I thought! Our Chief Minister just released an open letter with the following warning:

"And if Islanders flout these measures, then the Government will have to consider stricter actions to limit our freedoms, including compulsory self-isolation for people over 65 and people with underlying health conditions – or impose even more draconian restrictions."

I assume "more draconian solutions" involves issuing traffic wardens with handguns or deportation to Guernsey.

Understood. However, if all the known at-risk population is effectively self-isolating, that presumably removes a high proportion of those likely to require intensive care from the equation.

This is not really an accurate spin of the situation imo - everyone is at risk of getting the virus and an increasing number of younger people are at risk of requiring intensive care. A 21 year old has just died and afatk, had no other health issues as has a 37yr old British Diplomat ...

The premise upon which you base your idea needs a rethink ;)

“”Early data from China, where the disease originated, suggested the majority of those who died from coronavirus were aged 60 and older or who had serious underlying health conditions.

However, over the past two weeks, there have been more cases of younger people getting the disease.

A report from the United States' Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) found 20% of those who had to be in hospital after contracting coronavirus were aged 20-44-years-old and 18% were 45-54-years-old.

Of those admitted to intensive care, 12% were in the younger age bracket while 36% were in the 45-54-year-old range.

"Clinicians who care for adults should be aware that COVID-19 can result in severe disease among persons of all ages, the report, published on 18 March, said.

"Social distancing is recommended for all ages to slow the spread of the virus."

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...ions-dies-after-contracting-covid-19-11963451

I’m afraid younger, fit healthy birders are also going to have to put up with blanket lockdown measures ;)

btw Norfolk WT have announced closure of all their tea rooms, hides and carparks - some reserves are also closed completely eg Weeting but others there’s still access onto the boardwalks eg Cley/Saltmarsh

Last edited:
Don't forget there are more health issues through the age brackets in the USA - diabetes and other issues to do with being overweight.

Agree there will be potentially tens of thousands in the younger age groups in the UK with as-yet undiscovered underlying health issues.

Were the pitches Dens & Tannadice or those beside Dundee International Sports Centre?
MJB

No, though I do pass Tannadice & Dens on the first leg of my walk in to work. The ones I stand a chance of seeing birds on (Oystercatchers, gulls and crows so far) are in a public park.

Agree there will be potentially tens of thousands in the younger age groups in the UK with as-yet undiscovered underlying health issues.

Yes, true, but my point really is that young people are dying even when there’s no underlying health issues and in increasing numbers - I really wouldn’t want people here putting themselves or others at risk because they’ve been lulled into a false sense of security with so much focus on people over the age of 70 or with pre-underlying conditions. We ARE ALL very much at risk albeit, younger, healthy individuals statistically slightly less likely among those hospitalised, to require intensive care if hospitalised - (but only by 2 %if the CDC figures are to be believed - ie 48% of people in intensive care were under the age of 55!)

Last edited:
I really can't believe that people are saying put all the at-risk people in one place. IMO, that's called an old age home. And we know how the virus went through those from an example in Seattle.

So no, not a good idea.

I really can't believe that people are saying put all the at-risk people in one place. IMO, that's called an old age home. And we know how the virus went through those from an example in Seattle.

So no, not a good idea.

No-one is (at least not me). I don't have time to go into the full policy details and economics ... ;)

Another problem with doing things with the elderly is they wouldn't stand for it <shakes fist and zimmer frame angrily>. And, although for the exact opposite reasons, moving people around may have shades of 1930's Germany in some peoples perception.

I have to admit, there's a part of me that says that if the religious nut-jobs want to have their mega-services and meet in large groups despite government instructions to do otherwise, I say let them. Lock them in their churches, deny them medical help, and see if God saves them. As long as they aren't allowed to be super spreaders, get them out of the gene pool.

Then I take a step back and say just keep them away from me.

...so emissions generated by road vehicles and car ownership in the last 20 yrs have decreased? You not ‘getting out into nature away from others’ if crowds of others have the same idea. It’s only ‘safe’ if you don’t call out any emergency services miles to a remote location if you have an accident or breakdown when they could be saving the lives of those who are seriously ill.
Your preaching about evil vehicle emissions is not the point here at all. Getting out into nature in large numbers is perfectly safe if you're all well away from one another, which is easily done, as I observed myself this weekend. Emergencies would be so rare that they would have no measurable effect on the coronavirus outcome. You could wind all this moral agitation down many notches without any meaningful loss, unless you just enjoy it too much.

The only ‘denial’ at work here is yours apparently - people are dying, mostly, but not exclusively, the elderly. Your comments give the impression that restrictions in place in the Rocky Mountain NP, is nothing but an inconvenience for you and your desire to go birding. You even seem to be harbouring animosity or some kind of resentment towards those elderly folk who quite rightly want to protect themselves? Are these people under some kind of moral debt to you because you buy your gas in their town?
I'm only pointing out the contradictions and absurdities in the present situation. Fomites (e.g. gas pumps) are not thought to be a major route of transmission for coronavirus, especially with precautions that everyone should be taking already. (The town had already shut down motels etc, and the government has encouraged people to get out into national parks, even waiving fees, as you may not know.) You would do well not to try to guess at my motives; you might not like the sound of what I'm imagining about yours.

I might turn to John Locke to answer that one if this were a political seminar ...’liberty’ comes with a proviso don’t you know ...
I don't recall requesting a seminar. If you wish to exercise your right of self-defense, just stay home yourself. And none of this moralizing justifies your remark about why no one else should enjoy getting out into nature, far away from you, if you can't. Care to try again, or will you leave me to my imagination?

The question is definitely being asked now, can we justify throwing such resouces at people who are nearing the end of their natural lives anyway and in doing so, risking the future prosperity of the generations below them?
Oh, I wish you wouldn't put it that way. It really makes the whole idea of any debate at all look bad, and it's not just the elderly dying anyway.

Something I've been pondering is this: instead of universal lock down, identify every person who is known to be in a vulnerable class. Invite them to self-isolate, and provide as many resources to them as possible (shopping deliveries etc) to keep them safe and sound, but otherwise let everybody else get on with their lives as normal and let the virus run its course.
An eminently logical suggestion. Unfortunately, beyond the obvious elderly etc we don't know who's at greater risk and needs protection. The ICUs are too full of surprises.

Last edited:
Ladies and Gentlemen please remember we closed down the thread that was naming “celebrities” that contracted the virus. Discussing the royal family is in the same vein.
Please remember the thread is on the affect of the virus on birding.
Thanks.

I really shouldn’t let myself be dragged further into this tirade other than to say my reading of your hyperbolic responses suggest you are the one presenting as ‘agitated’

This sounds very threatening and aggressive

As does this
Well, I'm less easily threatened than you are; it takes the prospect of living in a police state for an indefinite period of time. There is nothing "hyperbolic" about anything I've just said, I've only allowed myself to be provoked by your sanctimony (and whatever other issues you won't clarify). Everyone does well to avoid imputing motives to those they don't really know. I was obliged to guess at the relevance of your Locke quotation ("defend their life"?) because I saw none. And now you want to cry victim? I shouldn't have stepped into this mess myself.

Last edited:
Ladies and Gentlemen please remember we closed down the thread that was naming “celebrities” that contracted the virus. Discussing the royal family is in the same vein.
Please remember the thread is on the affect of the virus on birding.
Thanks.

Some comments that followed were related to the possible advantage to birds, in the event that much of the aristocracy died out as they are the ones doing all the shooting which in turn, leads to persecution of raptors on large estates.

Why target my post, there are plenty on here that have nothing to do with birds?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back