• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (2 Viewers)

One addition today:-

37 - Rook - 27th March

A few pics of the commoner stuff from the last few days. Enjoying the sunshine of working from garden.

All the best

Attachments

• Blue Tit 002.JPG
    Blue Tit 002.JPG
    345.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Great Tit 002.JPG
    Great Tit 002.JPG
    407.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Magpie 004.JPG
    Magpie 004.JPG
    384.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Starling 004.JPG
    Starling 004.JPG
    255.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Blackbird 003.JPG
    Blackbird 003.JPG
    327.3 KB · Views: 39
First Stock Doves for the garden, two on the lawn feeding on spilt seed from the feeder. Thursday added one to the “inside the house” list, a Long-tailed Tit was too bold, entered through the patio door, but allowed itself to be captured easily, and the regular pair have been seen since. More sightings of Coal Tit on the feeders yesterday than normal, wonder if it had any link to the passage on the Welsh islands? House on the Wirral ridge, with a distant view to Moel Famau.

BIRDERS are coming together in a global show of unity against coronavirus.

A ring is being put on the calendar to designate April 5 as the Great Back Yard Birdwatch when tens of thousands of nature lovers locked down around the world by the pandemic will be tallying the wildlife they see.

Whether it is those in self-isolation recording garden birds from inside their homes, or those venturing outdoors on socially-spaced exercise walks, the hope is to celebrate the wonders of wildlife with spring reaching northern climes and autumn arriving in the southern hemisphere.

From Alaska to Zanzibar, nature lovers are being urged to compile checklists, take photographs and share stories of their encounters with birds and other creatures, both great and small, on the BirdForum platform and with the Self Isolating Bird Club.

BirdForum – the net’s largest birding community – has joined forces with the social media group set up by wellknown television presenter Chris Packham to lift spirits, combat loneliness and connect with wildlife from a safe distance.

On both sides of the Atlantic migrant species are now arriving from their wintering grounds to seek out nesting territories. In Europe, wheatears, flycatchers and hirundines are navigating the Sahara to start making landfall in coming weeks.

Their journeys are being mirrored through the Americas, with brightly coloured wood-warblers, tanagers and hosts of shorebirds on the move. Nature’s colourful kaleidoscope is also being accentuated by plants coming into flower and butterflies, bees and other insects on the wing.

Living in a time of pandemic does not stop people enjoying the sights and gaining the physical and mental health benefits of connecting with the natural world, even while having to stay indoors.

Over coming days, BirdForum will continue bringing you more news of the Great Back Yard Birdwatch and how you can post pictures, checklists and personal accounts on our platform as well as the Self Isolating Bird Club’s Twitter and Facebook feeds.

We also hope to forge links with wildlife organisations around the world to show that nature is the best medicine.

· Please adhere to the regulations being laid down in your country regarding safe-distancing and self-isolation.

in a global show of unity against coronavirus.

A ring is being put on the calendar to designate April 5 as the Great Back Yard Birdwatch when tens of thousands of nature lovers locked down around the world by the pandemic will be tallying the wildlife they see.

Whether it is those in self-isolation recording garden birds from inside their homes, or those venturing outdoors on socially-spaced exercise walks, the hope is to celebrate the wonders of wildlife with spring reaching northern climes and autumn arriving in the southern hemisphere.

From Alaska to Zanzibar, nature lovers are being urged to compile checklists, take photographs and share stories of their encounters with birds and other creatures, both great and small, on the BirdForum platform and with the Self Isolating Bird Club.

BirdForum – the net’s largest birding community – has joined forces with the social media group set up by wellknown television presenter Chris Packham to lift spirits, combat loneliness and connect with wildlife from a safe distance.

On both sides of the Atlantic migrant species are now arriving from their wintering grounds to seek out nesting territories. In Europe, wheatears, flycatchers and hirundines are navigating the Sahara to start making landfall in coming weeks.

Their journeys are being mirrored through the Americas, with brightly coloured wood-warblers, tanagers and hosts of shorebirds on the move. Nature’s colourful kaleidoscope is also being accentuated by plants coming into flower and butterflies, bees and other insects on the wing.

Living in a time of pandemic does not stop people enjoying the sights and gaining the physical and mental health benefits of connecting with the natural world, even while having to stay indoors.

Over coming days, BirdForum will continue bringing you more news of the Great Back Yard Birdwatch and how you can post pictures, checklists and personal accounts on our platform as well as the Self Isolating Bird Club’s Twitter and Facebook feeds.

We also hope to forge links with wildlife organisations around the world to show that nature is the best medicine. Please adhere to the regulations being laid down in your country regarding safe-distancing and self-isolation.

Details and more to follow.

28th March
36) Canada Goose
37) Great Spotted Woodpecker
38) Kingfisher
39) Dipper
40) Treecreeper
41) Pheasant
42) Lapwing
43) Starling

Attachments

• IMG_5291.JPG
    IMG_5291.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5322.JPG
    IMG_5322.JPG
    271.3 KB · Views: 37
Owl.jpg

Finally got a picture of the Neighborhood Owl.

I'm closing my list because I'm Moving in less than two weeks. I'll post my full finished list of this house later.

BIRDERS are coming together in a global show of unity against coronavirus.

We also hope to forge links with wildlife organisations around the world to show that nature is the best medicine.

· Please adhere to the regulations being laid down in your country regarding safe-distancing and self-isolation.

in a global show of unity against coronavirus.

We also hope to forge links with wildlife organisations around the world to show that nature is the best medicine. Please adhere to the regulations being laid down in your country regarding safe-distancing and self-isolation.

Details and more to follow.

That's great! I'll try and make a list of whatever I see in the next house.

After a concerted effort in the back garden today produced simply a Redwing for my lockdown garden list, I ended up bringing the scope into the house and trying scoping the countryside to the south. In addition to a couple of flying Little Egrets, three garden year ticks including two garden ticks - you can tell I've never really kept a garden list before:-

38 Stock Dove 28 Mar 2020 (garden tick but breeding site visible from the house in the distance)
39 Common Kestrel 28 Mar 2020
40 Mandarin Duck 28 Mar 2020 (garden tick - an adult drake that has been in the area a while in flight with a drake Mallard)

Not really a day for photography but I managed a couple of pics of a few bits.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Redwing 001.JPG
    Redwing 001.JPG
    534.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Redwing 004.JPG
    Redwing 004.JPG
    423.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Collared Dove 001.JPG
    Collared Dove 001.JPG
    350.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Collared Dove 002.JPG
    Collared Dove 002.JPG
    315.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Blue Tit 001.JPG
    Blue Tit 001.JPG
    358.5 KB · Views: 34
Some nice photos starting to appear on the thread (plus mine and Wari's efforts too 8-P), I heard one or possibly two Siskin this morning, they were so rare in winter here, just one bird in December and a couple of sightings of one and then two on just two days in February, so where were they? I get the impression they were a lot less numerous for some of you in UK, what about elsewhere in Europe, anybody?
Brambling on the other hand were well represented, or rather, are - still c50 around today!

Less concerted effort today but a couple notched up in continuing cold blustery northerlies:-

41 Meadow Pipit - a flock of thirty - 29 Mar 2020
42 Great Spotted Woodpecker - flying through the garden - 29 Mar 2020

Change of wind direction next week........

All the best

No ticks today even with an 8-2pm lockdown, very slow throughout the day albeit interspersed with some good birds. A pair of Blackcap first thing plus a pair of Mandarin Duck flying over the house (West-East) and creasing the chimney pot! (first time I've witnessed Mandarin going anywhere other than North-South or vice versa. After an almost Winter's Redwing famine..several flocks with one holding twenty two birds! Two Starlings East...always welcome as they're not exactly common hereabouts. A female Kestrel (3rd for year), then Lesser-spot. over the house followed several minutes later by a Gos low over the ride, then a stunning male Sprawk perched briefly atop peanut feeder, a Red Kite and a probable (can't tick it):-C Hawfinch outback. Resumed ''station'' after an hours excercise (walk), where I threw in the towel at 5.30 with my first Buzzard of the day! (considering I had almost double digit sightings yesterday :eek!:) I don't think they like strong gusting winds as we had today.

Attachments

• P2180462.jpeg     Blue Tit 2..jpeg
    P2180462.jpeg Blue Tit 2..jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 37
  • P2180824.jpeg   LTT on Sycamore.jpg
    P2180824.jpeg LTT on Sycamore.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 34
  • P2190028.jpeg     Can Goose 1..jpg
    P2190028.jpeg Can Goose 1..jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 46
  • P2190052.jpeg    Kite 01.jpeg
    P2190052.jpeg Kite 01.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 40
  • P2170827.jpeg   Grey Wag outback 1..jpeg
    P2170827.jpeg Grey Wag outback 1..jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 40
A slow weekend with the strong North wind but yesterday afternoon a brief watch picked up a mixed flock of gulls heading North into the teeth of the gale, 3 LBBG, 2 HG and:

41. Common Gull (10+ North)

Quite pleased with that as I was wondering if they'd all cleared off already.

John

A slow weekend with the strong North wind but yesterday afternoon a brief watch picked up a mixed flock of gulls heading North into the teeth of the gale, 3 LBBG, 2 HG and:

41. Common Gull (10+ North)

Quite pleased with that as I was wondering if they'd all cleared off already.

John

Yes, our Common & Black-headed have dried up up here. I've had Fieldfare & Redwing locally over the past week, but none from the garden, so may have missed the boat with them for now too.

30th March
44) Siskin

Yes, our Common & Black-headed have dried up up here. I've had Fieldfare & Redwing locally over the past week, but none from the garden, so may have missed the boat with them for now too.

30th March
44) Siskin

We have Black-headed colonies at Fleet Pond and Moor Green so get plenty of overspill from those. Still plenty of big gulls around too. Redwings all gone, haven't had a house Fieldfare this winter.

John

18 American Robin

Woken at 630 by the first dawn chorus of spring. It was scrappy, and not a diverse chorus (all American Robins, unless the passing croaking Raven counts!), but it was lovely.
Popped outside to listen, and saw one hopping about in the leaf litter patches that have appeared in the receding snow.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back